This video presents “L’Espace des donateurs – Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal (2012).”
- “L’Espace des donateurs” was commissioned by the MAC (Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal) in 2012 to recognize the thousands of donations received by the museum.
- The piece was created using the SPIN Framework and Pure Data.
- Authors: Luc Courchesne, Mike Wozniewski, and Andrew Kozloski.
Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal: View of the esplanade of Place des Arts / Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal: Vue de l’esplanade de la Place des Arts
The Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal (MAC) was founded by the Québec government in 1964 to build a collection of contemporary works by artists from Montréal, Québec, Canada and around the world.
- By 2010, the Musée had become a major Québec and Canadian institution, with a collection of nearly 7,600 works, 79% of them Canadian (68% from Québec and 11% from other provinces).
- MAC, the only museum devoted exclusively to contemporary art in Canada is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2014.
- However, the museum’s limited space restricts the accessibility of the Collection, only 1.5% of which is on view.
- “Expansion is crucial if this unique contemporary art collection is to be properly displayed.”
The renewal project is intended to meet a variety of needs in terms of exhibition gallery area, main entrance, improving visitor services (restaurant, boutique, outdoor terraces, sculpture garden), and more.
The good news is that the Québec government is giving the green light to the renewal of the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal via a government contribution of $18.9 Million!
- This renewal will result in:
- doubling the exhibition space of the MAC to present a greater number of works from the permanent collection,
- increasing installation flexibility to accommodate current artistic initiatives and several exhibitions in parallel to create a highly versatile auditorium,
- increasing accessibility to educational service of MAC,
- allowing for genuine interrelation with Place des Arts and the Quartier des spectacles, and
- MAC becoming more financially independent.
- The Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art is a Crown corporation funded by the Ministry of Culture and Communications of Québec and benefits from the financial support of the Department of Canadian Heritage and the Canada Council for the Arts.
- The Museum thanks them and Collection Loto-Québec, the main partner of the Museum.
- MAC thanks its media partner La Presse +.
- The completion of the renewal project is scheduled for 2017.
The following Press Release is in French:
Read more of Québec Will Give Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal More Than $18 Million for Its Renewal