This is an update to the following previous blog Your Input: Canadian Poverty Consultation for Ontario Until October 2013.
- The Campaign to Raise the Minimum Wage is coordinated by:
“A fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work; that’s what Ontario workers need. The minimum wage – the lowest legal rate of pay – should make sure that when you work, you earn enough to live on. But in the 3 years since Ontario’s minimum wage was frozen, inflation has driven down minimum wage earnings 19% below the poverty line.1
The minimum wage should bring workers and their families out of poverty.
The minimum wage should be set 10% above the poverty line, using the Low Income Measure.
The minimum wage should be calculated based on a 35-hour week.
Ontario’s hourly paid employees work, on average, less than 35 hours a week. We should assume a 35-hour work week when calculating a minimum wage that will bring workers out of poverty.
The minimum wage should be updated every year with the cost of living.
Ontario should join the three other provinces and territories that
have already adopted this policy.“
“We are all struggling to live on the minimum wage. When you go to the grocery store, food prices are way up. Rent is increasing every year. We are hard working people. But with the current minimum wage, it’s either you go hungry or pay the rent.”
Workers’ Action Centre member
Following these principles, Ontario’s minimum wage should be $14.00 in 2013!
1 The 19% gap is derived from the difference between the $10.25 minimum wage and LIM for 2013. The current minimum wage is $18,655 per annum; based on 35 hour work week. In 2013, the Low Income Measure is $23,105; based on Before Tax LIM for a 1 person household calculated from 2010 LIM plus 2% CPI. Source: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/ pub/750002m/2012002/tbl/tbl03-eng.htm .
Campaign to Raise the Minimum Wage is a Province-wide Day of Action Starting August 14th!
“Exciting plans are coming together for the first day of action for a $14 minimum wage. On the 14th of every month, communities will be mobilizing for a $14 minimum wage – starting today Wednesday August 14th!
Check out the creative actions — Monopoly Street Theatre, Pop-up Street Parties, Pots and Pan rallies and more!!!
Join an action at the following locations!
- Outreach drive, downtown Guelph
For more info: Peter Miller, email@example.com
- For more info: Ahmad Al-Amad, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more info: email@example.com
Minimum Wage Monopoly Street Theatre: 2:00pm.
- MPP Christine Elliott’s office, 114 Dundas St. Whitby.
- More info: Jesse Cullen, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Bring Your Pots and Pans! Raise the Minimum Wage Action: 2:00pm.
- Location is outside MPP Madeleine Meilleur’s office, 237 Montreal Rd., Ottawa.
- Bring your pots and pans to show they are empty without a raise!
- More info: Jill O’Reilly, email@example.com .
MPP delegation visit.
- More info: Paul Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Outreach drive: 4:45pm.
- Meet at Weston Library, 2 King Street, Weston (just north of Weston and Lawrence).
- More info: Judy Duncan, email@example.com .
Minimum Wage Pop-up Street Party! 6:30pm.
- Corner of St. Dennis Drive and Deauville Ln. (29 St. Dennis Drive near Don Mills and Eglinton) Toronto.
- Food, samba music and games!
- Help Canadians in Ontario win a $14 minimum wage!
- More info: Sonia Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Outreach blitz: 12pm.
- Meet at Memorial Park, Sudbury.
- More info:email@example.com .
MPP delegation visit.
- More info: Paul Chislett, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Launch of York Region Raise the Minimum Wage Campaign: 2pm.
- Meeting location: Tim Hortons @ 11005 Yonge St., Richmond Hill (On Yonge Street between Elgin Mills Rd West and Gamble Road).
- More info: Yvonne Kelly, email@example.com .
Organize an action!
Don’t see your community listed here? Organize your own action on August 14th! You don’t need a lot of people participating to make an impact!
- Do an outreach blitz to workers/ Check out materials including a customizable flyer here .
- Do a delegation visit to your local MPP office with other community members – let them know you support a $14 minimum wage.
- Organize a creative action to highlight the $14 demand!
Contact info for more information and for support at:
Please Help Send Kathleen Wynne a Message.
- Can’t join an action?
- Please click here to help by sending a strong message to Premier Kathleen Wynne today, August 14th.
- Help spread the word and get 10 of your friends to send a message on August 14th too!“
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Fujifilm: “Reflections” Photo Contest (August 14, at 12:01AM to September 14 at 11:00PM)
- PocketWizard® Plus® III Radios’ Online Auction Until May 17 (07:33:27 PDT): Fundraiser for Breast Cancer Community (A limited edition of G-Wiz Squared gadget bags in the same Tutu Pink color will be available for purchase in limited quantities at the Carey Foundation website beginning in June, 2013 to support cancer patients)
- McAfee LiveSafe is Now Available: Cross-Device Security Service with Facial and Voice Recognition Technology for Consumer Devices
- McAfee Quarterly Threat Report 2013: Significant Increases in Social Media Worm, Spam and Targeted Threats
- McAfee Mobile Innovations App’s Smart Perimeter is Available: Alerts Users of Theft or Loss of Mobile Devices
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- You’re Invited: Great Events in Ontario July 20-26 + TTC Alerts Jul.20-21 + Toronto Road Closures Jul.20-Dec.2013
- You’re Invited: Ontario’s Licence-Free Fishing Week, Toronto Events July 5-Sept.19, TTC Alert + Road Closures July 5-7, 2013
- Toronto Alert: Poster on Public Property Bylaw, Downsview Station Closed June 29, TTC Ride Guide Photo Contest by July 4 at 11:59 p.m.
- Feeling Congested? Meetings; Dufferin St.Bridge Closed to Vehicles From Jun.12; Avenue Rd Work Jun.10-Sept.15, 2013
- You’re Invited: Celebratory Events in Toronto June 2013 (Bike Works DIY Bike Repairs – Saturdays and Sundays throughout the summer)
- You’re Invited: Toronto’s Great Events May 18 – 21 and Victoria Day May 20, 2013 (Heritage Toronto Tours April – October 2013)
- You’re Invited: Spring & Green Events in Ontario May 10 – 12, 2013 (ROMwalks May 1, 2013 – October 20, 2013)
- No TTC Streetcars on Kingston Rd. Jun.3-Dec.+ Real Time Info Signs on Gardiner Expy & Lake Shore Blvd Jun.2013
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- McAfee & Intel Offer New Digital Life Protection Service in Beta to Partners Now & Its Consumer Version in Mid-2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Ontario Proposes Regulations to Limit Access to Generic OxyContin: Your Comments Before Dec.24, 2012 at 5 P.M. EST
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians