This is an update to the previous blog, Fujifilm’s Technology in Photo Development Will Be Used to Develop a Rapid Diagnostic System for Ebola Virus Disease.
This video presents Ebola update new flu drug tested on patient 10 06 2014 #ebola.
“Taking this medicine as early as possible (means) the mortality rate can be significantly reduced….”
There are no drugs on the market to treat Ebola, which has ravaged West Africa and killed 9,177 of the nearly 23,000 people infected since late 2013. Clinical trials of other experimental drugs are underway but are at an earlier stage…”
Efficacy of Avigan® Tablet 200mg as a treatment for Ebola virus disease (EVD) suggested in clinical trial (interim analysis)
February 24, 2015
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) announced that the French National Institute of Health and Medical Research (Inserm) ** released today an interim analysis of the clinical trial suggesting the efficacy of anti-influenza drug Avigan® Tablet 200mg* (Favipiravir), which is being provided to clinical trials in Guinea for patients with Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).
[ Announcement Details ]
- For patients group with a high or moderate viral load at the beginning of treatment ***, the rate of mortality when compared to treatment results of patients of the same level who received basic care *4 in the three months preceding the trial was halved (30% → 15%), demonstrating encouraging signs of efficacy.
- For patients group with a very high viral load at the beginning of treatment *5, 81% had refractory renal failure when arriving at the treatment center, and a signal that the administration of Avigan® Tablets led to a decreased mortality rate was unable to be demonstrated.
- Although compared to influenza treatment high doses were administered for ten days, adverse events were not observed.
Details about the results of the interim analysis are scheduled to be announced at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI) to be held in Seattle on February 25.
The anti-influenza drug Avigan® Tablets was developed by the Fujifilm Group company Toyama Chemical Co., Ltd. Results of mouse experiments showing the antiviral effect of Avigan® Tablets against EVD have been published, and Avigan® Tablets have already been administered as an emergency response to multiple patients infected with EVD. Following this, from December 17 last year, Inserm conducted clinical trials at four EVD treatment centers in Guinea to investigate the efficacy of Avigan® Tablets for the treatment of EVD patients.*6
Interim analysis results from the first 80 cases of this clinical trial have been published.
“Given that the efficacy of Avigan® Tablets for the treatment of EVD is suggested, the Fujifilm Group will continue to contribute to the termination of the EVD infection, and fully cooperate with the governments of France and Guinea, as well as the relevant authorities in Japan towards establishing a treatment for EVD” said Takatoshi Ishikawa, Senior Vice President, General Manager of Pharmaceutical Products Division at FUJIFILM Corporation.
The Japanese government has announced that it is prepared to provide drugs developed by Japanese companies that might prove effective in the treatment of EVD. Fujifilm will continue to respond to the requests of the various countries with infected patients while discussing with the Japanese government.
- * Developed by Toyama Chemical and approved in Japan as anti-influenza drug in March 2014.
- ** Abbreviateion for the Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale.
- ***The number of copies of the virus in 1mL of blood is 108 or less
- Treatment method for rehydration and to replenish nutrition
- *5 The number of copies of the virus in 1mL of blood is 108 or greater
- *6 This clinical trial has been given the name “JIKI,” meaning hope in the local language. Inserm is receiving funding from the EU to conduct clinical trials at four EVD treatment facilities in Guinea, Guékédou, Nzérékoré, Macenta, and Conakry, in cooperation with NGO’s providing medical care to EVD patients (MSF [Doctors Without Borders], ALIMA [Alliance for International Medical Action], and the French Red Cross).
For inquiries on information in this media release, contact:
Pharmaceutical Products Division
You may also want to know:
- You’re Invited: Makerbot Retail Store’s Innovator Sessions – Isaac Budmen in New York City March 19, 2015 (FREE Admission)
- Panasonic Will Give Away a Lumix DMC-CM1 Camera Daily Mar.21-24: Find a ‘Golden Ticket’ in a CM1 Chocolate Bar at Entrance of The Photography Show 2015 (in the UK)
- Panasonic Mirrorless Camera Week March 23-28, 2015 California: Daily Prizes, Mirrorless Camera Walk at No Charge, Try Out Gear & Learn from the Pros (FREE Mirrorless Camera Walk with a Pro)
- Climate Change Strategy Discussion Paper for Ontario, Canada: Consultations in Feb. & March + Submit Your Comments by March 29, 2015
- Olympus PEN Selfie Contest: Post Monthly Your Selfies on Instagram Through 11:59 p.m. Dec.31, 2014 / Jan.31, Feb.28, Mar.31, 2015 Japan Standard Time
- USA’s Proposal of New Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones): The FAA Wants Your Comments on or Before April 24, 2015
- Fujifilm’s Technology in Photo Development Will Be Used to Develop a Rapid Diagnostic System for Ebola Virus Disease
- Ricoh’s “Save the Memory Project”: Returning 90,000 Lost Photos from the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
- MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer & Tissue Engineering: Video Shows Custom Reconstruction of Living Windpipe
- Make Poverty History: Canadians, Please Add Your Voices to the Call for a Federal Anti-Poverty Plan Now
- Caledon Institute of Social Policy Releases a New Report on Welfare Incomes: “Welfare in Canada 2013″
- Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014
- New “Pronghorn Management Guides” Presents 33 Photos of Pronghorn Conservation in USA, Mexico and Canada
- 2015 Intel Security Survey: 30% Sent Personal Photos to Others Via Mobile Devices & 50% Don’t Delete Personal Photos or Videos Sent to Others
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- You’re Invited: “Toronto Observed Through Three Generations: Photographs by Harry Joy, Doug Hemmy and Andy Brooks” Jan.24-May 9, 2015 (Opening Reception Jan.24; FREE Admissions, Toronto)
- You’re Invited: ‘La longue nuit de Mégantic’ by Documentary Photographer Michel Huneault Jan. 29-Mar.13, 2015 (Opening Reception Jan.29; FREE Admissions, Toronto)
- Flash by Lenny Kravitz: A Unique Rock Photography Exhibition at Leica Gallery in Los Angeles: Open Until April 6, 2015 (USA)
- Canada National Award for 2015 Sony World Photography Awards: Winner is George Ching-Yuen Lo from Vancouver (2015 Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London, UK from 24 April – 10 May 2015)
- Finalists of 2015 Scotiabank Photography Award, the Most Prestigious Award in Canadian Contemporary Photography + You’re Invited to Mark Ruwedel Exhibition Apr.29-Jun.28, 2015 (FREE Admission, Toronto)
- “Benoit Aquin: Mégantic in Pictures”: A Contemporary Photography Exhibition in Montreal February 18 – May 24, 2015 (FREE Admission for ages 12 and under, and VIP members)
- You’re Invited to Doors Open Toronto: Celebration of Toronto Buildings May 23 & 24, 2015 (FREE Admissions)
- “Eyes Wide Open! 100 Years of Leica Photography”: The Anniversary Exhibition in The Fotografie Forum Frankfurt 13 March – 31 May, 2015 (Germany; FREE Admission for children aged under 12 and members; Reduced admission for students, apprentices, unemployed persons, severely handicapped persons)
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission in London, UK)
- Panasonic + UNESCO: Beautiful 2015 World Heritage Calendar App for PCs & Tablets in Five Languages (FREE App)
- Stratasys’ New Recycling Program of 3D Printing Material Canisters & Cartridges for North American Customers Starts Today: Waste Disposal at No Charge (FREE disposal & recycling program)
- Google Earth Pro is Now Available at No Cost: Interactive Imagery of Google Earth With Professional Tools for Business or Personal Use (FREE)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Samsung Canada + National Hockey League: Samsung Smartphones Offer Enhanced Personalization within Official NHL App, Exclusive Access to Branded ‘Inside the NHL Situation Room’ Videos & More
- Fujifilm: New ‘Pro Rental Service’ for Enthusiast & Professional Photographers and ‘Professional Repair Rental Program’ in USA: Effective March 16, 2015
- Nikon Canada Invites Canadian Residents to Nikon Image Space: An Online Service for Sharing Photos or Recording Memories (FREE online service for all Canadian residents to share & record images: FREE two GB of storage for everyone and Nikon camera owners get an extra FREE 18 GB of storage.)
- New NIKON IMAGE SPACE App Renewal at No Charge: Benefits Include Seeing Images Larger & Browsing Images Stored on Your Smart Device (FREE online photo sharing service + FREE renewal of smart device app for “NIKON IMAGE SPACE”)
- Canon’s Cloud-based Image Management Service, irista: No Cost for Up to 15GB + New Updates are Now Live (FREE 15GB of cloud storage space with full irista functionality)
- You’re Invited to the New Leica Fotopark: A Photo Platform for Passionate Photographers to Discover, Exchange, Organise, Create [Registration on www.leica-fotopark is FREE, as is the use of the platform for data volumes of up to ten gigabytes (GB)]
- Nikon’s New Download Center for Nikon Digital Cameras & Related Products: Offers Software & Manuals in 43 Languages
- Nikon: New NIKKOR Motion Gallery Series Features Short Films as New Possibilities of Video Imaging Through NIKKOR Lenses & Nikon Cameras
- Sony Imaging PRO Support at No Charge for Certain Professional Photographers Using α Camera Equipment in Germany: Effective Apr.1, 2015: Submit Applications Now
- Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors’ #FutureofCities: You’re Invited to Share Photos from Your Changing Cities
- Canada National Award for 2015 Sony World Photography Awards: Winner is George Ching-Yuen Lo from Vancouver
- Fujifilm Instax SP-1 Share Printer “National Craft Month” Sweepstakes for 14 Years of Age or Older in USA, Washington D.C. & Canada: Enter Before Mar.31, 2015, 11 pm EST
- Fujifilm Breathtaking Landscapes Photo Contest for Canada and USA: Submit Entries Before 11p.m. (EST) on March 31, 2015
- Fujifilm 2015 Student Awards – ‘REFLECTIONS – Film’ for UK Students + ‘REFLECTIONS –Instax’ for All in UK: Enter Contest Before 31 March 2015
- Startup Competition at ‘Inside 3D Printing Conference and Expo’ New York: Apply to Pitch & Present Your Company Before Apr.15, 2015
- Canon “Project Imagination: The Trailer” Contest for USA and D.C.: Upload Your Movie Trailer Before 6 PM EST on April 29, 2015
- Nikon 2015 Small World Contest & Small World in Motion Contest: Entries to Be Received Before April 30
- Foreground Competition for Best Independently Published Art or Photography Book: Submit Entries Before Midnight on June 5, 2015
- Canadian Photographer Sarah Anne Johnson Will Create Toronto’s First Monumental Photographic Mural: To Be Completed by May 1, 2015
- National Gallery of Canada and Imperial War Museums Ask You to Share Online Family Photos of World War 1
- Nova Scotian Photographers Age 50 or Older: Exhibit Your Work in the Seniors’ Art and Photo Gallery in Halifax
- McAfee: Most Dangerous Celebrities Study + Most Dangerous Celebrity Sweepstakes Ends at 5 PM PDT Oct.31, 2014
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Scarborough Subway Project Assessment-Line 2 Extension: Public Consultations Jan.31 & Feb.2, 2015 + Online Feedback
- Panasonic’s Medical Delivery Robot “HOSPI” in the “Center for Advanced Medical Robotics” in Thailand
- Celebrate: Fort York Visitor Centre (five new exhibitions is opened inside the new Visitor Centre in 2014 – 2015)
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians