This video presents “Tar Sands Healing Walk 2013”:
- On July 5-6 people will come together from coast to coast to join First Nations and Metis in the Healing Walk, a gathering focused on healing the environment and the people who are suffering from tar sands expansion. #IdleNoMore #INM #SovSummer #HealingWalk
Invite Minister Joe Oliver & Premier Alison Redford to come to the Healing Walk and walk the land, breathe the air, and drink the water.
“The tar sands in Alberta, Canada, are growing out of control, destroying the climate for all Canadians and poisoning the water of everyone living downstream.“
The 4th Annual Healing Walk
July 5 – 6, 2013
On July 5th and 6th, people will come together from coast to coast to join First Nations and Metis in the Healing Walk, a gathering focused on healing the environment and the people who are suffering from tar sands expansion.
- The Healing Walk is sponsored by the Keepers of the Athabasca.
- Keepers of the Athabasca is a “collection of First Nations, Metis, Inuit, environmental groups, and watershed citizens working together for the protection of water, land and air, and thus for all living things today and tomorrow in the Athabasca River Watershed.”
In the following letter, the Leadnow.ca team is asking for our help in the following ways:
- Call on Premier Alison Redford and Minister of Natural Resources Joe Oliver to accept the invitation to join the Healing Walk July 5 – 6, 2013;
- Call on the Alberta and Canadian governments to stop the reckless mismanagement of our land, air, water and climate;
- Urge our governments to work with First Nations and bring people together to make wise choices about stewarding the land in ways that are sustainable and fair.
“We’re so grateful to you. Thanks to you, over 7,000 people have already sent invitations Natural Resource Minister Joe Oliver and Premier Alison Redford, asking them to join the tar sands Healing Walk on July 5th and 6th.
We’re writing today because we want to make one thing clear: you’re invited, and we’d love to see you there.
Hundreds of people are travelling from across the country, and across the world, to join this years Healing Walk. In addition to the Walk, there will be sessions with local leaders and allies like Winona Laduke, Bill McKibben and Naomi Klein.
Click here to learn more, see the program and info about how you could join in person: http://www.healingwalk.org/#continue .
No way you’re going to be able to attend in person? We understand. We’ll have a team on the ground to share key moments, stories and next steps with you.
For the moment, we’d deeply appreciate it if you could help spread the word about the petition to Redford and Oliver. Chief Allan Adam of the Athabasca Fort Chipewyan First Nation released this powerful statement today:
“We believe that our politicians are out of touch and have no idea what it is like to live day-to-day in a place that has been made toxic by out of control tar sands development. It is important for them to experience this place, to drink the water, breathe the air and hear from the people who are quickly losing hope for a livable future for their children and grandchildren,” said Chief Adam. “On behalf of our nation and the more than five hundred others who will join us on this journey, we invite Minister Oliver and Premier Redford to walk alongside us.”
Let’s keep building momentum. Can you forward this email to your friends and networks and ask them to join you in calling on Premier Redford and Natural Resource Minister Joe Oliver to accept the invitation to join the Healing Walk?
They can send their message here: http://www.healingwalk.org/helpfromhome
Thanks for all you do.
With hope and respect,
Logan on behalf of the Leadnow.ca team“
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To volunteer at the Healing Walk, contact: Annie Banks
For information on ride shares and transportation, contact: Aleah Loney
You can also contact the following event organizers:
Keepers of the Athabasca
ACFN – Athabasca Chipeyewayn First Nation
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- PocketWizard® Plus® III Radios’ Online Auction Until May 17 (07:33:27 PDT): Fundraiser for Breast Cancer Community (a limited edition of G-Wiz Squared gadget bags in the same Tutu Pink color will be available for purchase in limited quantities at the Carey Foundation website beginning in June, 2013 to support cancer patients)
- McAfee Quarterly Threat Report 2013: Significant Increases in Social Media Worm, Spam and Targeted Threats
- McAfee Mobile Innovations App’s Smart Perimeter is Available: Alerts Users of Theft or Loss of Mobile Devices
- McAfee Encourages Canadian Students to Graduate with Online Honours: Simple Tips for Maintaining an A+ Online Reputation
- McAfee Cares – Online Safety for Kids Program: McAfee Canada Volunteers Train More Than 2000 Students & 300 Parents
- Toronto Alert: Poster on Public Property Bylaw, Downsview Station Closed June 29, TTC Ride Guide Photo Contest by July 4 at 11:59 p.m.
- You’re Invited: Meeting on Options for Cycle Tracks on Certain Streets + Toronto Events + Road Closures June 22-Dec.2013
- Toronto: Eglinton Connects Survey Until Jun.14, Safety Open Houses Jun.10-13, Cultural Spaces Meetings Jun-Jul.2013
- Feeling Congested? Meetings; Dufferin St.Bridge Closed to Vehicles From Jun.12; Avenue Rd Work Jun.10-Sept.15, 2013
- Invite: S.P.O.T. Opens Jun.5; Aboriginal Culture; ‘Post-Oil City:The History of the City’s Future’ Ends July31,2013
- You’re Invited: Celebratory Events in Toronto June 2013 (Bike Works DIY Bike Repairs – Saturdays and Sundays throughout the summer)
- You’re Invited: Toronto’s Great Events May 18 – 21 and Victoria Day May 20, 2013 (Heritage Toronto Tours April – October 2013)
- You’re Invited: Spring & Green Events in Ontario May 10 – 12, 2013 (ROMwalks May 1, 2013 – October 20, 2013)
- “Around The World in 9 Days With Tiny Collective:A Touring Instant Lab Mobile Photography Exhibition”Jun.20-28,2013
- No TTC Streetcars on Kingston Rd. Jun.3-Dec.+ Real Time Info Signs on Gardiner Expy & Lake Shore Blvd Jun.2013
- McAfee LiveSafe Service: First Unlimited Cross-Device Security Service Uses Facial & Voice Recognition Technology
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- Quebec Calling for Social Economy Projects in Metropolitan Area of Montreal: Apply for 2013-2014 FIRM Funding
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- McAfee & Intel Offer New Digital Life Protection Service in Beta to Partners Now & Its Consumer Version in Mid-2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Ontario Proposes Regulations to Limit Access to Generic OxyContin: Your Comments Before Dec.24, 2012 at 5 P.M. EST
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians