Thanks to CBC’s national multi-platform health initiative Live Right Now, you as Canadians can get the help, support and encouragement you need to make small, meaningful changes to improve your health via losing weight and exercising.
Canadians can easily join the dynamic and interactive online LIVE RIGHT NOW community by registering at LiveRightNow.ca where you can create a profile and access tips, tools, challenges and support to help guide your journey to better health.
A CBC News poll revealed that nine in 10 Canadians would like to live healthier, 37 per cent agree that obesity is the number one health issue affecting Canadians today, and 42 per cent of Canadians say they don’t get any vigorous exercise in a week.
Here is a chronological list of LIVE RIGHT NOW events:
- Village on a Diet – Premiering Monday, January 3 at 9 p.m. (9:30 NT) on CBC-TV, this 11-part television series follows the people of Taylor, British Columbia, on their journey to better health as they commit to shedding one ton of collective weight in just three months.
- The exclusive CBC News series, Canada Weighs In, kicks off on CBC-TV, CBC News Network, CBC Radio and CBCNews.ca during the week of Jan. 2. to discuss Canadians’ health perceptions, exercise, sleep deprivation, the impact of sugar and other topics.
- The Million Pound Challenge – Canadians looking to lose weight can join the national call-to-action, the Million Pound Challenge. From January to July 1, Canadians interested in losing weight are encouraged to pledge to lose a combined total of one million pounds.
- Run Run Revolution – An experiential television and online documentary airing in the spring that will follow a group of middle school-aged children as they prepare for the youth section of the Boston Marathon. The docu-style special will not only transform the lives of the runners, it will bring together families and communities and highlight the importance of raising a healthy generation.
- Canada Day Celebration – On July 1, 2011 we will celebrate the success of LIVE RIGHT NOW with a huge celebration and reveal what Canadians have accomplished.