Merveilleux! It is indeed a marvel that Ontario and Quebec are collaborating to form the fourth-largest economic zone in North America.
Behold this historical event, the first Ontario-Québec Economic Forum, wherein more than 150 leaders from both provinces’ business, post-secondary and not-for-profit sector will meet to promote trade and relationships between Ontario and Quebec.
Ontario, Canada: Newsroom
February 28, 2011 3:50 PM
First Ontario-Québec Economic Forum
McGuinty and Charest Governments making it easier to do business between provinces
For the first time in history, an Ontario-Québec Economic Forum with businesses and other institutions will meet to further trade and relationships between both provinces.
Ontario and Québec makes up a powerful North American collaboration to compete at the same level as New York, California and Texas. Together, the two provinces form the fourth-largest economic zone in North America.
Ontario’s Economic Development and Trade Minister, Sandra Pupatello and Québec’s Economic Development, Innovation, and Exports Minister, Clément Gignac are participating in the event with more than 150 leaders from both provinces’ business, post-secondary and not-for-profit sectors. The forum will focus on the following:
- Better promote productivity between the provinces
- Encourage small-and-medium-sized businesses to leverage new technologies
- Invest in education to help foster talent
- Life Sciences Corridor between Ontario and Québec
- Sharing best practices
- Improving the business climate
- Leveraging joint investment and export opportunities for businesses
Ontario and Quebec are home to more than 21-million people and $204-billion in exports. And the provinces represent more than 55 percent of interprovincial trade in Canada.
“As a region, Ontario-Québec represent 58 per cent of Canada’s total GDP, worth $882-billion. Today’s Forum is positive proof that our two provinces, with respective business, academic and not-for-profits sector partners, are working together to create a vibrant, viable Ontario-Québec economic region that can compete and succeed in North America and globally.”
– Sandra Pupatello
Minister of Economic Development and Trade
“The first Ontario-Québec Economic Forum represents a unique opportunity to assemble business and institutional leaders who have demonstrated vision and the ability to create business opportunities in the Ontario -Québec region. It is also an opportunity for Québec to determine how economic co-operation with Ontario can help it to pursue competitiveness and innovation.”
– Clément Gignac
Québec Minister of Economic Development, Innovation, and Exports
- Premiers McGuinty and Charest signed the Ontario-Québec Agreement on Trade and Co-operation in September 2009 which provides a framework for a regional economic alliance that will allow Ontario and Québec companies to better compete and succeed not only within North America, but internationally.
- The Agreement aims to create a prosperous Ontario-Québec partnership to improve economic and trade activity, environmental protection, energy supply and transportation links.
- Leigh-Ann Popek
Ontario Minister’s Office
416 325 0362
- Jolyane Pronovost
Québec Minister’s Office
Ministry of Economic Development and Trade