This is an update to these previous blogs:
Grocery Store Cards Made Available to More Communities
Province and Private Sector Working Together to Help Those Most in Need
Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
On Tuesday, Jan. 7, $450,000 in grocery store cards will be made available in communities that were hard hit by the recent ice storm.
The province reached out to all impacted communities and the following have confirmed their participation in this initiative to provide grocery store cards to help those most in need:
- Dufferin County
- Durham Region – distribution will take place on Thursday, Jan. 9
- Halton Region
- City of Hamilton
- Northumberland County – distribution will take place on Wednesday, Jan. 8
- Peel Region
- Waterloo Region
- Wellington County
- York Region
The grocery store cards are intended to help people who lost food and are unable to replace it without financial assistance. The initiative cannot provide grocery store cards to everyone who lost power, and is reserved for those facing the most need.
This initiative has been made possible through the generosity of Ontario’s corporate sector as well as unions and associations working with the province to quickly deliver food aid to those who most need it this week, including a major donation of $250,000 to the Canadian Red Cross from the Canadian Tire Family of Companies on behalf of Ontario’s hydro workers, in support of the province’s food support initiative.
The supply of cards is limited. Each community will be organizing the distribution of these cards locally. Those who think they might be eligible to receive a card should check their municipality’s web site and local media for further details.
Working to help communities recover from the ice storm is part of the government’s plan to work together as One Ontario to build a successful, compassionate and united province where everyone has the opportunity to connect, contribute and enjoy a high quality of life.
For more information, visit the participating communities’ websites, or call for more information.
Dufferin County: 519-941-6991, extension 2404
Durham Region: 1-888-721-0622
Halton Region: 905-825-6000
City of Hamilton: 905-546-CITY (2489)
Northumberland County: 905-372-3329, extension 2445
Peel Region: 905-791-7800
Waterloo Region: 519-883-2100
Wellington County: 519-837-2670 Ext. 4794
York Region: 1-888-256-1112, TTY: 905-762-0401
- Distribution will take place on Tuesday January 7, 2014 unless otherwise specified.
- To date, $842,600 in food grocery cards have been distributed, helping over 8,500 families and individuals.
- Donors for this initiative include the Canadian Tire Family of Companies, the Canadian Red Cross, Loblaw Companies, Shoppers Drug Mart, Metro, Sobeys, Bruce Power, Costco Wholesale, Northland Power, Louie Coppa Family – A Coppa Family Tradition, CUPE Local 416, the Insurance Bureau of Canada, the Ontario Provincial Police Association, the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 793, Scotiabank, Bank of Montreal, Ontario Professional Fire Fighter’s Association, IBEW Construction Council of Ontario and TransCanada Corporation.
- Ontarians are reminded to first contact their insurance companies to find out about their coverage and compensation for lost food.
“I thank all of our donors and our municipal partners for making this initiative, which has already helped thousands of families and individuals, possible. The overwhelming response in Toronto and the lessons learned there will help with the distribution in other communities.”
Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Leica Camera + Red Bull Illume:Action Sports Photography Exhibition Tour & Kickoff Party-Nov.14, 2013 (FREE admission.)
- Energy Apps for Ontario Challenge: Win $50000 for Best Apps Using Electricity Data from Smart Meters (Oct. 1, 2013 to Jan. 7, 2014)
- Life on the Grid Exhibit: 100 Years of Toronto Street Photography (Exhibit continues to May 2014 from Monday to Friday; Exhibit on Saturdays: from October 19, 2013 – April 12, 2014)
- McAfee LiveSafe is Now Available: Cross-Device Security Service with Facial and Voice Recognition Technology for Consumer Devices
- McAfee Mobile Innovations App’s Smart Perimeter is Available: Alerts Users of Theft or Loss of Mobile Devices
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- 20 Key Accomplishments to Protect the Health and Safety of Canadians: Health Canada’s Review of 2013
- You’re Invited: Toronto Events Jan.7-Feb.2, 2014 + Toronto & Ontario News (Ice Storm Updates)
- You’re Invited: Toronto Alerts & Events Nov.9-Dec.15, 2013 + News + Ontario’s Music Funds (Deadlines: Music Futures-Jan.6, 2014; Music Industry Development-Jan.31, 2014)
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- Feeling Congested? Meetings; Dufferin St.Bridge Closed to Vehicles From Jun.12; Avenue Rd Work Jun.10-Sept.15, 2013
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians