The following video presents “Creating Pollinator Habitat in Ontario”
“One of the major issues that ALUS is trying to address is the recent decline of pollinators. Bayham ALUS project coordinator Kyle Mauthe explains how demonstration farm M&R Orchards has planted native wild flowers to create pollinator habitat.”
This is an update to the following blog, Ontario’s Rules to Reduce Neonicotinoid Pesticide: Protect Bees: Submit Comments Until May 7, 2015.
The Government of Ontario aims to protect pollinators by addressing the four main stressors that pollinators face: loss of habitat and nutrition; diseases, pests and genetics; pesticide exposure; climate change and weather.
The Province is proposing a draft Pollinator Health Action Plan, a component of its comprehensive Pollinator Health Strategy, as a plan for government, stakeholders and the public to work in partnership to enhance the state of health of Ontario’s pollinators, both managed and wild, and to strengthen their populations.
This proposal has been posted for a 45 day public review and comment period starting January 22, 2016.
- If you have any questions, or would like to submit your comments, please do so by March 07, 2016 to the individual listed under “Contact” at http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTI3MzAw&statusId=MTkyMjQ5&language=en.
- Additionally, you may submit your comments on-line.
- All comments received prior to March 07, 2016 will be considered as part of the decision-making process by the Ministry if they are submitted in writing or electronically using the reference EBR Registry number 012-6393 and form provided in this notice at http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTI3MzAw&statusId=MTkyMjQ5&language=en .
Please Note: All comments and submissions received will become part of the public record. You will not receive a formal response to your comment, however, relevant comments received as part of the public participation process for this proposal will be considered by the decision maker for this proposal.
Other Public Consultation Opportunities:
In addition to submitting comments via this notice or in writing, you can:
- Email your comments to email@example.com and,
- Complete an online survey at https://www.ontario.ca/form/pollinator-health-action-plan-survey .
Pollinator Health Action Plan survey
“Share your thoughts and recommendations on our draft Pollinator Health Action Plan and help us improve pollinator health in the province. Your feedback will be considered by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs when we report back to the public with a final Action Plan in spring/summer of 2016.”
Province Seeking Public Input on Improving Pollinator Health
Ontario Taking Action to Reduce Pollinator Losses
January 22, 2016 1:00 P.M.
Ontario is seeking public feedback on a draft action plan to improve pollinator health and reduce pollinator losses.
Pollinators, including honey bees, are essential to Ontario’s agricultural sector and contribute approximately $992 million worth of economic activity annually to the economy. The province became the first jurisdiction in North America to protect bees and other pollinators through new rules introduced on July 1, 2015, to reduce the number of acres planted with neonicotinoid-treated corn and soybean seeds by 80 per cent by 2017.
Now, Ontario is looking for the public’s feedback on a proposed plan to improve pollinator health that will address:
- Habitat and nutrition
- Diseases, pests and genetics
- Climate change and weather
- Pesticide exposure.
Supporting pollinator health is part of the government’s plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in people’s talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province’s history, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Ontario is home to more than 400 bee species, which are the most common pollinators.
- Honey bees and some bumble bees are bred specifically for pollinating plants for food. A foraging honey bee will travel up to 3 km from the colony (and up to 10 km if food is scarce).
- The province recently introduced a new Bee Mortality Production Insurance plan under the Agricultural Products Insurance Act to promote best management practices and allow farmers to manage their risk more effectively.
“Pollinators are critical to Ontario’s agri-food sector and our society as a whole. While, Ontario farmers are working to protect pollinators through integrated pest management, the proposed Pollinator Health Action Plan will create more discussion and encourage greater cooperation to improve pollinator health in our province. It is important to recognize that we all have a role to play in protecting pollinator populations in this province.”
Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
“Much of the food we eat and the vibrancy of Ontario’s natural habitats depend on a healthy pollinator population. The decline of bees and other pollinators is a serious problem that requires immediate action to protect Ontario’s ecosystems. The draft Pollinator Health Action Plan builds on action the province has already taken to improve pollinator health through a new pesticide regulation that reduces the use of neonicotinoid insecticide. We encourage urban and agricultural communities, environmental groups, municipalities and interested organizations to provide feedback on Ontario’s action plan.”
Glen R. Murray
Minister of the Environment and Climate Change
You may also want to know:
- Know The Glow: 4 Tips To Spot The Golden Reflective Glow In A Child’s Photo And Save His or Her Eyes
- Vistek’s “It’s A FUJI World Travel Contest” for Canada: A Draw for a Chance to Win Fujifilm X-T10 Camera with 18-55mm Lens Kit: Submit Entry before 5 PM (EST) on January 29, 2016
- Olympus: Demo Days at No Cost in the UK, January 29 & 30, 2016 (FREE admission)
- NIKON EUROPEAN FILM FESTIVAL Competition for Minors & Adults in European Union Countries: Upload a “Make an Everyday Moment Memorable on Screen” Video (30 – 140 Secs.), in a HD Format, Shot on Any Device, before 10 am CET on 1 February 2016
- You’re Invited: The Nikon Museum at No Cost Will Open from October 17, 2015 to Showcase and Celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Nikon’s Foundation in 2017 (FREE admission in Tokyo, Japan)
- Nikon Canada is Calling All Toronto-Based Photography Enthusiasts: Snap & Share Photo Walking Tour at No Cost on February 6, 2016: Registration is Required (FREE admission)
- Toronto Black History Month Creative Writing Contest for Ages 11 – 17: Submit Entries by Feb.16, 2016
- Nikon Canada Presents the Snap & Share Photo Contest for Ontario, Canada: Submit Your “Wonders of Toronto Winter” Photos Before 11:59 p.m. on February 19, 2016
- City of Toronto’s Recreation Jobs of Summer 2016 for Canadians: Submit Applications before 11:59 pm (EST) on February 3
- Production Process of Fujifilm in Tilburg, The Netherlands, Operates Completely on Wind Energy as from 1 January 2016 Via Wind Turbines in the Netherlands and Belgium
- The Prime Minister of Canada Will Attend the 2015 Climate Conference in Paris, France, November 30 – December 11: “I Look Forward to Partnering with Provinces and Territories – and All Parties – to Achieve an Ambitious International Climate Agreement at COP 21 for Our and All Future Generations
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Open Letter to Canadians: “For the first time in our country’s history – there will be an equal number of women and men around the Cabinet table”
- Environmental Defence Canada: Please Urge Premier Wynne to Tell the National Energy Board That Ontario Rejects the Energy East Pipeline
- Canon U.S.A. + The National Center For Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC): Raised $390,400 for NCMEC & Donated More Than 2,500 Pieces of Digital Photographic & Imaging Technology Equipment to Assist Law Enforcement Agencies
- Samsung Won Several Prestigious Honors at the Cannes Lions 2015: “Look at Me” Interactive Camera App Helps Children with Autism; Smartphone App “Backup Memory” Helps Alzheimer’s Patients Via Photos & Videos
- A Stratasys 3D Printed Model of Five-year-old Mia Gonzalez’s Heart Was Used to Help the Surgical Team to Optimally Visualize a Specific Heart Structure in Order to Perform Mia’s Successful Surgery at Miami’s Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, USA
- Realistic Stratasys 3D Printed Model Guides Surgeons to Successful Treatment of a Patient’s Near-Fatal Brain Aneurysm at Kaleida Health’s Gates Vascular Institute in Buffalo, New York, USA
- Stratasys’ Multi-Color, Multi-Material 3D Printed Models of Patients’ Kidneys Aid Cancer Surgeons in Successfully Treating Patients & Improving Patient Understanding at the University Hospital (CHU) de Bordeaux in France
- Ontario Approved the 22nd and Final Source Water Protection Plan, Covering More Than 450 Municipal Drinking Water Systems for Canadians
- Canada’s Environment and Climate Change Minister Will Attend the 2015 Paris Climate Conference COP21, November 30 – December 11: To “work with our international partners on the adoption of an effective climate change agreement and in the transformation towards a low-carbon, climate resilient global economy”
- Panasonic + Denver in Colorado, USA: To Make a Smarter, More Sustainable City Service for Denver Residents & Visitors
- Sony Ranked First Among Japanese Companies in Performance & Information Disclosure in Combating Climate Change in the CDP Japan 500 Climate Change Report 2015
- Sony Pledges to #ActOnClimate and Aims for a Zero Environmental Footprint Throughout the Lifecycle of Their Products & Business Activities by 2050
- Ricoh is the Official Partner of the United Nation’s COP21 Climate Conference in Paris-Le Bourget from 30 November to 11 December, 2015
- Ricoh Joins ‘American Business Act on Climate Pledge’ to Reduce the Company’s Total Lifecycle of CO2 Emissions by 30% by 2020 and by 87.5% by 2050 from the 2000 Level
- Canon Develops Multi-Person Tracking Technology for Video Content Analysis Plug-In for Network Cameras: “Big Brother is Watching You” To Inform Marketing & Service About the Pedestrian Numbers, Genders & Ages, Congestion & Crowd Detection: To Be Available in 2016
- Intel Security’s Tips on How Canadian Shoppers Can Guard Against Some Security Threats for 2015 Holiday Shopping Online
- Intel Security: Most Hackable Gifts of the Holidays 2015 + Tips to Help Ensure Holiday Gifts Remain Secure
- Intel Security Reveals the Most Dangerous Global & Canadian Cyber Celebrities of 2015 Exposing Internet Searchers to Viruses and Malware: McAfee WebAdvisor is Available at No Cost (FREE software)
- Intel Security’s Phishing Quiz Reveals 97 Per Cent of People Worldwide Cannot Identify Destructive Phishing Emails: “Make it a Rule to Never Click on Links or Attachments in Emails / Texts”
- Intel Security: New Consumer Security Services Include True Key App by Intel Security to Keep Connected Consumers Safe from Online Threats: Available Now (FREE True Key App)
- Intel Security: “The Realities of Cyber Parenting: What Pre-teens and Teens Are Up To Online” Study Reveals Concerns About Online Safety & Privacy
- Panasonic Vietnam Celebrated Five Years Anniversary of Panasonic Risupia Vietnam + Panasonic Vietnam and National Fund for Children Signed a New Donation Agreement for 2015
- Canon Makes a Donation to the Central Community Chest of Japan to Aid in the Relief Efforts for the Flood Victims of Typhoon Etau in Early September 2015
- Canon: Donation of Money to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children in the U.S.A. + More Than 2,200 Pieces of Equipment, Including Digital Cameras to Law Enforcement Agencies in 50 States, Puerto Rico and Guam
- Samsung “Care for Nepal” Project Provided Relief Materials & Communication Services to the Victims of the Earthquake
- Samsung eMotion Project Helped Provide Emotional Support for Hospitalized Children Via Samsung Gear VR: Virtual Adventure Content was Shot Using 360-degree Cameras
- Ricoh’s “Save the Memory Project”: Returning 90,000 Lost Photos from the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
- MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer & Tissue Engineering: Video Shows Custom Reconstruction of Living Windpipe
- Make Poverty History: Canadians, Please Add Your Voices to the Call for a Federal Anti-Poverty Plan Now
- Toronto Council Highlights Jul 7-9, 2015: Topics Include Social Housing, Car-pooling app – UberPool, Poverty & Woodbine Racetrack’s Expanded Gaming
- Caledon Institute of Social Policy Releases a New Report on Welfare Incomes: “Welfare in Canada 2013″
- Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014
- New “Pronghorn Management Guides” Presents 33 Photos of Pronghorn Conservation in USA, Mexico and Canada
- BioAmber Opens World’s Largest Bio-succinic Acid Manufacturing Facility in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada: Renewable & Greener Alternatives to Petrochemicals That are Derived from Oil, Which Can Be Used in Everyday Products Including Plastics, Food Additives & Personal Care Products
- Getting Good Exposure Online is a Challenge for Canadian Small Businesses: GoDaddy’s National Canadian Small Business Survey 2015
- Ontario Proposes ‘Protecting Condominium Owners Act’ for Canadians: No Surprise Costs for a Newly-built Condo; New Condo Authority; Financial Management Rules; Mandatory Licensing for Managers
- 2015 Intel Security Survey: 30% Sent Personal Photos to Others Via Mobile Devices & 50% Don’t Delete Personal Photos or Videos Sent to Others
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Ontario’s New Protection Plans for Sources of Water for Canadians: CTC Source & Halton-Hamilton Source: Effective Dec. 31, 2015
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine for Children Aged Two to 17 at No Cost in Ontario, Canada, Starting Oct.26, 2015
- ‘Gemini’ Chaise with Stratasys 3D Printed Acoustic Skin is Acquired by San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Which Will Open on May 14, 2016: Museum Admission at No Cost in Perpetuity for All Visitors 18 and Younger (Starting on May 14, 2016)
- Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition for Galaxy S6 Smartphone: World-first Fully Immersive Virtual Reality Storytelling “David Attenborough’s First Life” Experience at Natural History Museum, London from 19 June 2015: No Cost for Only Museum Entrance (UK)
- Fujifilm Pro Rental Service for Enthusiast & Professional Photographers: Experience a Fujifilm X-Series Camera, Lens or Kit for a Limited Time Anywhere in the U.S.A
- Olympus “Test & Wow” Program for the UK: Try Certain Olympus Cameras and Lenses for a Full 24-hour Day at No Cost (Try for FREE)
- You’re Invited: Take Home and “Test Drive” a Leica M Camera System & Two Lenses Overnight @ No Cost: Leica Store Bellevue in Washington, USA (FREE Test Drive program)
- Nova Scotian Photographers Age 50 or Older: Exhibit Your Work in the Seniors’ Art and Photo Gallery in Halifax
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission in London, UK)
- Nikon: Updated “NIKKOR & ACC” App: Now Available to Download for iPad (Version 1.1.0) / Android Tablet (Version 1.0.1) at No Cost (FREE App)
- Sony’s Touchless Shutter App Ver. 1.00 Available at No Cost for Several Sony Camera Models: Eliminate Camera Shake (FREE App)
- Intel® Security Battery Optimizer 2.0 (29 October 2015): Updated App for Android Smartphones & Tablets is Available at No Cost: To Extend Battery Life, Speed Up Your Device by Cleaning Up Memory & Storage, and Monitor Your Mobile Data Usage (FREE App)
- Stratasys’ New Recycling Program of 3D Printing Material Canisters & Cartridges for North American Customers Starts Today: Waste Disposal at No Charge (FREE disposal & recycling program)
- Samsung’s Software Development Kit (SDK) is Released: Third-party Developers are Invited to Help Build Next Samsung Wearable Prior to the Product Launch
- New Panasonic-Created Cloud Service Toolkit (CST) to Power IoT Infrastructure: CST is Available Royalty-Free for Qualifying Open-Source Projects or Paid License for Commercial Use
- Panasonic Will Share Intellectual Property to Speed Development of Internet of Things (IoT) Software & Services (Panasonic formally pledges to provide royalty-FREE access to software, patents and experience from its product ecosystem)
- Google Earth Pro is Now Available at No Cost: Interactive Imagery of Google Earth With Professional Tools for Business or Personal Use(FREE)
- Google Maps: New Street View App for Android and iOS: For the First Time You Can Tour Immersive 360-degree Imagery & Instantly Contribute Your Own to Google Maps
- Panasonic: New “NEYMAR JR. CRAZY SKILLS” Interactive Webpage at No Cost: True-to-life 3D Images of Neymar Jr.’s Superb Skills Can Be Viewed and Shared on Smartphones or Computers (FREE)
- Leica: M Magazine App is Available at No Cost & M Magazine No. 2 is Also Available: Dedicated to M Photography Via the Leica M Camera, Presenting Pictures Taken by Renowned Photographers (FREE M Magazine App)
- UrtheCast’s High-Resolution Camera on the ISS Captured & Released the World’s First Full-Color HD Videos of London, Boston and Barcelona from Space (UrtheCast Corp., the Earth Observation (EO) company, aims to open the world to anyone with an internet connection: FREE)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Samsung Canada + National Hockey League: Samsung Smartphones Offer Enhanced Personalization within Official NHL App, Exclusive Access to Branded ‘Inside the NHL Situation Room’ Videos & More
- Fujifilm: New ‘Pro Rental Service’ for Enthusiast & Professional Photographers and ‘Professional Repair Rental Program’ in USA: Effective March 16, 2015
- Nikon Canada Invites Canadian Residents to Nikon Image Space: An Online Service for Sharing Photos or Recording Memories (FREE online service for all Canadian residents to share & record images: FREE two GB of storage for everyone and Nikon camera owners get an extra FREE 18 GB of storage.)
- Fujifilm Camera Remote App (Updated: Sep. 24, 2015 Version: 1.2.0): Now Compatible With iOS9 for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch Users (FREE app)
- New NIKON IMAGE SPACE App Renewal at No Charge: Benefits Include Seeing Images Larger & Browsing Images Stored on Your Smart Device (FREE online photo sharing service + FREE renewal of smart device app for “NIKON IMAGE SPACE”)
- Canon PERSTEXT – New Version iOS App: To Design Your Photos with Text in Perspective + 12 New Filters + Enhanced Text Editing Functions: Now Available at No Cost (FREE)
- Canon’s Cloud-based Image Management Service, irista: No Cost for Up to 15GB + New Updates are Now Live (FREE 15GB of cloud storage space with full irista functionality)
- Canon Europe Acquires Lifecake – Baby Photo Timeline: A Photo-sharing App for Families to Create Photo & Video Timelines (Lifecake is available FREE for iPhone, iPad and Android)
- Canon Releases English-version PERSTEXT App for iOS for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch @ No Cost: Photo Editing to Insert Text with a Sense of Perspective to Saved Photos
- You’re Invited to the New Leica Fotopark: A Photo Platform for Passionate Photographers to Discover, Exchange, Organise, Create [Registration on www.leica-fotopark is FREE, as is the use of the platform for data volumes of up to ten gigabytes (GB)]
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Nikon’s New Download Center for Nikon Digital Cameras & Related Products: Offers Software & Manuals in 43 Languages
- Nikon: New NIKKOR Motion Gallery Series Features Short Films as New Possibilities of Video Imaging Through NIKKOR Lenses & Nikon Cameras
- Olympus: New Underwater Photo Gallery Showcases “The Beauty Below”: Fascinating Photographs of Underwater Wonders in Vivid Colours with Exquisite Details
- Sony Alpha Cameras: New “α Universe” Community Website to Engage, Empower and Inspire Photo & Video Enthusiasts
- Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors’ #FutureofCities: You’re Invited to Share Photos from Your Changing Cities
- Sony Imaging PRO Support at No Charge for Certain Professional Photographers Using α Camera Equipment in Germany: Effective Apr.1, 2015: Submit Applications Now
- National Gallery of Canada and Imperial War Museums Ask You to Share Online Family Photos of World War 1
- Panasonic’s Medical Delivery Robot “HOSPI” in the “Center for Advanced Medical Robotics” in Thailand
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012