Ontario is revealing its French side via the French slogan “Tant À Découvrir” (English translation is ‘Yours To Discover” ) on personalized licence plates without graphics, starting on March 28.
The French slogan is already available on the following types of licence plates:
- regular passenger series plates,
- green vehicle licence plates, and
- Franco-Ontarian graphic plates (has both the illustration of the Franco-Ontarian flag and the French slogan).
The new and improved Personalized Licence Plate Program gives you the following choices:
- You may purchase a personalized plate for a passenger vehicle, commercial vehicle or motorcycle.
- As of March 28, 2011 personalized passenger plates (without graphics) are available with either the English slogan, “Yours to Discover”, or the French slogan, “Tant à Découvrir”.
- Passenger and commercial plates may have two to eight characters.
- Motorcycles may have two to five characters.
- You may also choose to add a graphic symbol to your unique personalized plate.
Please note that graphics are not available on motorcycle plates or French slogan personalized plates, and seven and eight character personalized plates cannot include graphics.
Furthermore, personalized licence plates are not available for limited-speed motorcycles.
Also, you can order the new French personalized licence plates by visiting a ServiceOntario centre or by phone: calling 1-800-AUTO-PL8 (1-800-288-6758).
Ontario, Canada: Newsroom
March 25, 2011 11:00 AM
New French Personalized Licence Plate Available
McGuinty Government Supporting Francophone Community
Starting on March 28, personalized licence plates without a graphic will be available with the slogan “Yours to Discover” in French — “Tant À Découvrir.”
Personalized licence plates , also known as “vanity” plates, can be created to convey a personal message. The French slogan is already available for regular passenger series plates, and on green vehicle licence plates, and Franco-Ontarian graphic plates.
Ontario is committed to ensuring that Francophones have access to provincial government services in French. Today’s announcement is another example of improving the quality of services delivered to this community.
“I am pleased that our government has delivered this new plate option in French. It is another example of our commitment to improving access to services for Ontario’s Francophone community.”
– Kathleen Wynne
Minister of Transportation
“These personalized licence plates give an additional voice to Francophones and Francophiles as they can now express their uniqueness.”
– Madeleine Meilleur
Minister Responsible for Francophone Affairs
“Making personalized licence plates available in French is another great example of how ServiceOntario supports the French-language community and continues to work towards connecting them to the government services when and where they need them.”
– Harinder Takhar
Minister of Government Services
“I am pleased our government is taking further strides to support and celebrate Ontario’s francophone community.”
– Bob Chiarelli
Ottawa West-Nepean MPP
- The plate is available for special order: online in English or in French, by calling 1-800-AUTO-PL8 (1-800-288-6758) or by visiting a ServiceOntario centre.
- The Ontario licence plate slogan “Yours To Discover” was introduced in 1982.
- Ontario is home to close to 600,000 Francophones.
- Kelly Baker
Ministry of Transportation