The following video presents “US Proposes Establishing World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary.”
- “President Barack Obama recently proposed that the US establish the world’s largest marine sanctuary.
- An area in the Pacific Ocean that lies between American Samoa and Hawaii has been selected, but specific boundaries have not been decided upon.
- The proposed area would reportedly be adjacent to several U.S. controlled territories, and include 200 nautical miles of surrounding waters.
- The location already has a roughly 87 thousand square mile protected area called the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument.
- It was established by President George W. Bush during his time in office.
- Under Obama’s plan that sanctuary would be expanded to include about three-quarters of million miles of ocean off limits to fishing, drilling and other activities that put the habitat in peril.
- Before the expansion can be made official, the proposal must go through a period of review during which time the public can make comments.
- Both the Department of Commerce and Department of the Interior will also conduct research into the plan to get a big picture of how closing the area to fishing will affect commercial activity.
- At this time, about 3 percent of tuna legally caught by the US fishing industry comes from the central and western Pacific Ocean.”
“The White House’s Council on Environmental Quality said the waters in the south-central Pacific Ocean contain “some of the most pristine tropical marine environments in the world.
These tropical coral reefs and associated marine ecosystems are also among the most vulnerable areas to the impacts of climate change and ocean acidification,” the White House said in a statement.”
In the following letter, the Avaaz team is asking for our help to:
- urge and support US President Obama to create the world’s largest marine sanctuary,
- empower him to counter opposition,
- help save our oceans for generations to come, and
- please sign this urgent petition below and share it with everyone you know– let’s deliver one million voices before the official consultation closes in days: August 11th.
- At the present time of this blog posting, 258,695 people have signed.
- Please help us get to 1,000,000 signatures.
Right now, the US government is receiving public comments on whether or not to create the world’s largest Marine Protected Area in the Pacific Ocean. But President Obama is under enormous pressure from a powerful fishing lobby to water down the plan.
We can’t let that happen — majestic whales, turtles and fish stocks are all disappearing. Scientists say the best way to save our oceans is to protect large swaths from exploitation so that marine life can recover. Four years ago, we played a pivotal role persuading the UK government to create a massive marine sanctuary in the Indian Ocean, and the UK Foreign Ministry cited our campaign in its announcement. Now, if we all speak out, we can create a reserve the size of Mexico!
If we send Obama a tidal wave of global public support now, we will empower him to counter opposition and help save our oceans for generations to come. Sign the petition below and tell everyone — let’s deliver one million voices before the official consultation closes in days:
The reports are dire: in less than 4 decades, our oceans could be completely fished-out and coral reefs might be dead within our grandchildren’s lifetime! This new plan alone won’t be enough to fix the problem, but it could start turning the tide against global ocean destruction — it will not only double the worldwide oceanic area that is fully protected, but also encourage other governments to follow suit.
Obama says he is willing to use executive action to implement the plan, but a powerful fishing lobby is trying to sink it with misleading propaganda. They say the sanctuary will hurt their business, but 95% of the fishing they’re talking about happens outside of the protected zone. Other interests want to keep the area open for future drilling and mining, which could be disastrous.
The comment period is only open for a few more days, and on August 11th the government will consult with local interest groups in Hawaii to scope out the plan. If we build a million strong global petition now and deliver it straight into the White House and the Hawaii meeting, flood the official consultation with support, and run a poll that shows massive public support near the site, we can drown them out.
With the greatest ownership of ocean in the world, the US now has a tremendous opportunity in the Pacific. Let’s drown out the opposition, and lay the foundation for protecting our oceans from exploitation. Sign the petition below, and forward it to friends and family:
Our oceans are being decimated by a myriad of threats. But time and again Avaaz members have rallied to save our precious marine life. We have helped secure massive ocean sanctuaries before and plans to protect tuna and whales. We can win this!
Danny, Luis, Lisa, Andrea, Ricken, Ana Sofia and the whole Avaaz team
Pacific fishing interests oppose Obama’s plan to expand marine reserve (Washington Post)
Several Nations Announce Massive Marine Reserves in the Pacific (National Geographic)
Obama Calls For Major Expansion Of Pacific Ocean Preserve (Law 360.com)
Mr. Obama’s Ocean Monument (NYTimes)
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Olympus ‘Anywhere Classroom’ Video Series Starts June 26, 2014: An Online FREE Photography Class Using Olympus OM-D Cameras & Lenses
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission)
- Wildlife in North Carolina 2014 Photo Competition: Entries to Be Uploaded by 5 P.M. on Sept. 2, 2014
- National Geographic International Photography Contest 2014 for Kids: Online Entries to Be Received by 11:59 PM (EDT) on Oct.15
- You’re Invited: Christie Pits Film Festival Every Sunday July 6 – August 10, 2014 (FREE admission or Pay What You Can)
- You’re Invited: Stratford Summer Music Festival July 14 – August 24, 2014 (FREE and Pay-What-You-Can Admissions)
- Invite: Steelband Festival Jul.12 + Outdoor Music & Theatre Performances Jul.15-Aug.28, 2014 (FREE Admission)
- Two Toronto Photography Exhibitions: The Past is Never Far (July 12 & 13) + Toronto Does Her ‘Bit’ (Jul.26, 2014-Jan.17, 2015) FREE Admission to Both Exhibitions
- FUJIFILM Canada Announces “Walk in the Park” Tour with the Fuji Guys and L’Expert Fuji 2014 (FREE Admission: Victoria, September 20) *Dates are subject to change
- Northwest International Exhibition of Photography & Washington State Photographers Exhibition (Sept. 5- 21, 2014)
- You’re Invited: PHOTOGraphie Professional Photography Festival Events Sept. 26 & 27, 2014 (FREE Admission)
- Five Ways Canadians Acknowledge the Poignant 1940 Photograph “Wait For Me, Daddy” (FREE public unveiling ceremony, festivities and family activities on Saturday, October 4, 2014)
- You’re Invited: Doors Open Ontario May 3 – October 18, 2014 (FREE admission)
- Celebrate 100th Anniversary of Canada’s Connection to Winnie-the-Pooh: Remembering the Real Winnie – An Exhibit Nov.6–Dec.7, 2014 (FREE Admission to Opening Reception – Nov.5 and Exhibit)
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Update: Videos Recorded During Canada’s 2014 Healthy and Safe Food Regulatory Forum are Now Available
- Union Station Closure Apr.5 – 7 Before 6 A.M.+ Closures of Gardiner Expressway Start Apr.25, 2014 (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Toronto’s Transit Relief Line & Yonge Relief Network Study Consultations Apr.5, 8, 10,12, 2014 (or provide your feedback online)
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- 20 Key Accomplishments to Protect the Health and Safety of Canadians: Health Canada’s Review of 2013
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians