Ontario Power Generation (OPG), a multi-billion dollar power generation company, is planning to build a nuclear waste dump (a Deep Geological Repository or DGR) 1 km from the shores of Lake Huron in Ontario, Canada.
This video presents Agenda Plus: Opposing OPG’s Nuclear Waste Plan.
- Beverly Fernandez of the Stop the Great Lakes Nuclear Dump discusses developments in the debate raging over Ontario Power Generation’s plan to bury nuclear waste 680 metres below the ground near Kincardine, Ontario.
Some of this nuclear waste remains toxic and lethal for over 100,000 years.
“Scientists cannot guarantee that this Nuclear Waste Dump will not leak.
The Great Lakes provide safe clean drinking water for 40 million people in two countries, as well as providing recreation, fishing, supporting agriculture, plant and aquatic life. Why would we bury radioactive nuclear waste beside this precious resource?
Ontario Power Generation, the applicant, states this underground dump “is not likely to result in any significant residual adverse effects to human health or the environment, including Lake Huron and the Great Lakes.” Is “not likely” good enough?
Ontario Power Generation did not consider ANY other sites for this nuclear waste dump except right beside the Great Lakes. Is this responsible?
OPG claims it has done its homework, yet the Joint Review Panel’s own consultant, Dr. Duinker, concluded that OPG’s analysis was “not credible, not defensible, not clear, not reliable, inappropriate.”
An underground nuclear waste dump in limestone is unproven and unprecedented.”
“Stop The Great Lakes Nuclear Dump Inc.”
In the following letter, the Avaaz team is asking for our help to:
- please sign the petition in the letter below to urge Premier Wynne to cancel the project and
- share it with everyone you know – when 50,000 sign the Avaaz team will take our message directly to the Premier.
Ontario has tonnes of nuclear waste but nowhere to put it. Now they want to spend a fortune burying the problem next to 40 million people’s drinking water — but we can still protect our Great Lakes.
The decision to dump heaps of long-lasting radioactive waste right next to Lake Huron is being rammed forward with the help of a few well-lobbied politicians and huge corporate pay-offs but we can still speak up. The Ontario government owns the mega corporation that wants to park this toxic garbage next to our water supply and Premier Wynne is politically vulnerable so a huge outcry could get her to kill the project. Let’s stop the radioactive dump by creating a wave of support for clean water and responsible nuclear policies.
Ontario’s nuclear corporation wants to truck its waste through our communities and dump it next to our drinking water. Let’s stop this disaster before it happens! Click now to tell Premier Wynne to cancel the project and share widely — when 50,000 sign we’ll take our message directly to the Premier:
Germany tried to bury its nuclear waste in a similar type of dump site and now it’s leaking radioactive water. Yet Ontario Power Generation (OPG), a government owned corporation, wants to spend $1 billion dumping tonnes of toxic waste just over a kilometre away from the world’s largest network of freshwater lakes.
This could be catastrophic, but the decision to push it forward is being made by corporate higher-ups and a small group of citizens near the dump site who could get a big payout on this deadly plan. OPG is pulling out all the stops to force this deal through and have already sent Kincardine’s mayor and councillors on special all-expenses-paid trips to Switzerland, Sweden and France to help them decide. Let’s make our voices heard to help make sure a few well-lobbied politicians aren’t able to decide the fate of 40 million peoples’ drinking water.
OPG may have deep pockets but we can help stop this in its tracks if we make our voices heard. Click now to send a message and tell the Premier that this deal can’t stand:
Time and again the Avaaz community has fought to make sure that polluting corporate interests aren’t allowed to destroy our environment. Thousands of us came together to stop the limestone mega quarry from poisoning our groundwater and now we can tell the Ontario government to protect our Great Lakes from a toxic nuclear dump.
Jeremy, Ari, Emma, Ricken, Melanie and the entire Avaaz team
Nuclear waste site on Lake Huron concerns Michigan, Sarnia (CBC)
Lake Huron Is No Place for a Nuclear Waste Dump (David Suzuki, Huffington Post)
Cause of New Mexico nuclear waste accident remains a mystery(Los Angeles Times)
Bruce County mayors broke law by holding secret meetings on storing Ontario nuclear waste, probe finds (National Post)
U.S. residents protest Bruce nuclear waste proposal (Toronto Star)
Flood of concern over nuclear dump (Sarnia Observer)
You may also want to know:
- Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014
- New “Pronghorn Management Guides” Presents 33 Photos of Pronghorn Conservation in USA, Mexico and Canada
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Olympus ‘Anywhere Classroom’ Video Series Starts June 26, 2014: An Online FREE Photography Class Using Olympus OM-D Cameras & Lenses
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission)
- Wildlife in North Carolina 2014 Photo Competition: Entries to Be Uploaded by 5 P.M. on Sept. 2, 2014
- Parks and Forests Through The Seasons Contest for 10 Years of Age & Older: Submit Photos by Noon Sept.3, 2014
- City of Toronto, Parks, Forestry and Recreation Contest for Ontario Residents: Submit Photos Until 5:00PM on Sept.30, 2014
- National Geographic International Photography Contest 2014 for Kids: Online Entries to Be Received by 11:59 PM (EDT) on Oct.15
- Four Photographers are Finalists for Aimia | AGO Photography Prize 2014: Vote Until 11:59 P.M. on Oct. 27, 2014
- Two Toronto Photography Exhibitions: The Past is Never Far (July 12 & 13) + Toronto Does Her ‘Bit’ (Jul.26, 2014-Jan.17, 2015) FREE Admission to Both Exhibitions
- FUJIFILM Canada Announces “Walk in the Park” Tour with the Fuji Guys and L’Expert Fuji 2014 (FREE Admission: Victoria, September 20) *Dates are subject to change
- Northwest International Exhibition of Photography & Washington State Photographers Exhibition (Sept. 5- 21, 2014)
- You’re Invited: PHOTOGraphie Professional Photography Festival Events Sept. 26 & 27, 2014 (FREE Admission)
- Five Ways Canadians Acknowledge the Poignant 1940 Photograph “Wait For Me, Daddy” (FREE public unveiling ceremony, festivities and family activities on Saturday, October 4, 2014)
- 2014 Toronto Book Awards Invites You to The Word On The Street Sept.21 & Awards Ceremony Oct.16 (And An Evening with the Shortlisted Authors, Oct. 8) FREE Admissions
- You’re Invited: Doors Open Ontario May 3 – October 18, 2014 (FREE admission)
- Celebrate 100th Anniversary of Canada’s Connection to Winnie-the-Pooh: Remembering the Real Winnie – An Exhibit Nov.6–Dec.7, 2014 (FREE Admission to Opening Reception – Nov.5 and Exhibit)
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Update: Videos Recorded During Canada’s 2014 Healthy and Safe Food Regulatory Forum are Now Available
- Union Station Closure Apr.5 – 7 Before 6 A.M.+ Closures of Gardiner Expressway Start Apr.25, 2014 (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Toronto’s Transit Relief Line & Yonge Relief Network Study Consultations Apr.5, 8, 10,12, 2014 (or provide your feedback online)
- Canadian Photographer Sarah Anne Johnson Will Create Toronto’s First Monumental Photographic Mural: To Be Completed by May 1, 2015
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- 20 Key Accomplishments to Protect the Health and Safety of Canadians: Health Canada’s Review of 2013
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians