Please urge Ontario to significantly raise the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) rates for Disabled Canadians.
The following video (2012) presents Laura Cattari: Living on ODSP:
“Laura Cattari wants to reform Ontario’s social assistance program. She says it’s unwieldy and difficult to navigate. And she should know, as she is an ODSP recipient. She shares her experience with Steve Paikin.“
Poverty Action for Change Coalition (PACC) urges the provincial government to adjust their pay rates – an increase of 50% – for those with disabilities and part of the Ontario Disability Support Program.
“Join supporters, including an MPP, as we walk, stroll or roll from York Region headquarters to the Aurora-Newmarket MPP’s office to support a better deal for Danny Philion and those mired in poverty by circumstance. Please note the fixed date is tentative. We are asking for a 50% increase in ODSP payments and hope to have the issue highlighted in parliament. Dan arrived at the initial meeting with the MPP Chris Ballard wearing no shoes or boots. ” I can’t afford boots” he informed him. Dan already has the best deal we offer those in his position including subsidized housing so something is not right here. Do you support a better deal than this for Dan? Support the Stroll & Roll for his freedom then. Stroll, walk, scoot, wheel or …“
Stroll & Roll to Freedom
A March Hosted by Tom Pearson and Danny Philion
Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:00pm – 3:00pm
Starting at York Region (The Regional Municipality of York)
17250 Yonge Street, Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Ending at MPP Chris Ballard’s Office, 238 Wellington St East, Aurora, Ontario
Contact for the event is via cell phone @ 289-221-0928.
“…It is a reasonable request, and one the Ontario government will tell you they are working on this master plan for – but the one thing they have consistently resisted, despite the Harris era 40% cuts – is raising O.D.S.P. rates to livable rates. While welfare is meant to be temporary and used in parcel with community supports to move people forward in life, those with certain disabilities most often do not have that option, yet are painted with the same brush.
Join Dan July 7 2015 on the Stroll and Roll to Freedom starting at York Region Headquarters on Yonge St. Newmarket at 12 noon and ending at the MPP’s office.
” We’ve listened, and people have said they want to work” Ontario Government on their Poverty Reduction Strategy
I call that selective hearing. Yes they want to work. But they can’t all do so. What they really want is just to be recognized as valuable and useful members of society. That’s the issue. “You hear the expression falling through the cracks? Well guys like Dan are the ones who fall through those cracks”, I explained, ” and the direction of the poverty reduction strategy does nothing to address this..That’s where these cracks surface…”
I also stressed to Ballard that since Dan already has subsidized housing, and special diet, he is already getting the best deal we offer guys like him, and it isn’t near enough. I pointed out the 1% raise his government gave those on O.D.S.P. amounted to 3 bus rides in expensive York Region – $12 a month. The visit to his office would take up $8 of that, $16 for two both ways.
We both got the feeling Chris Ballard was receptive, and he even said he would possibly even march himself,…
It was a 15 minute trip to the M.P.P.’s office with York Region Wheel-trans on the way there, but took an hour and a half to get back with all the ladies’ stops, the driver carefully walking each to the door…“
Tom Pearson, Chair of Poverty Action for Change Coalition
Update from Poverty Action for Change Coalition:
RE: Stroll & Roll to Freedom – Event Date – June 7 2015
Postponed – Thunderstorm warning
Weather reports calling for thunderstorms on the date proposed for the Stroll & Roll to Freedom march, starting in Newmarket Ontario, have moved organizers to postpone the march.
Taking into account not only the danger during a possible storm, especially if caught mid-route, but also that some are unable to carry umbrellas and would face undo conditions with march areas passing through temporary sidewalk and road construction areas on Yonge St.. Wet, or cold weather conditions also negatively affect a person abilities with motor functions in the body when afflicted with muscular dystrophy as march organizer Dan Philion is. This also allows for some to cancel pick ups without losing demerit points – another bone of contention by Mr. Philion.
The march is to support a better deal for Dan and others in similar positions, stuck on disability support, with little hope to enjoy a stress free life, aside from dealing with their ailments.
The Stroll & Roll to Freedom group will announce another date and route in the near future.
You may contact organizers by sending e-mails addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org, join them on Face Book or call 289-221-0928
For more info, please go to https://www.facebook.com/events/856812211031428# .
June 7, 2015
Stroll & Roll to Freedom
July 7 March Planned to Protest low Disability Rates
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
On July 7 2015 there is a “ Stroll & Roll to Freedom” march proposed, beginning at 17250 Yonge St in Newmarket, Ontario, York Region headquarters, and proceeding from that address down Yonge St to Wellington St in Aurora and continuing east to the MPP Chris Ballard’s office located at 238 Wellington St East, Aurora, Ontario.
The march, endorsed by the Poverty Action for Change Coalition (P.A.C.C.), was spearheaded by Newmarket disabled resident Dan Philion who is asking that the provincial government adjust their pay rates for those with disabilities and part of the Ontario Disability Support Program.
People like Mr. Philion, unable to work full time or at all, find it increasingly difficult to survive month to month even with all the benefits the current safety net system provides.
Mr. Philion already has subsidized housing but despite this rarely goes a month without being in need of extra food or clothing or transportation costs due to the lack of actual dollars he receives versus actual costs. Recreation is but a pipe dream for him.
Philion suggests a rate increase of 50%, feeling the rate scale is that out of real costs, and plans to present his request to his M.P.P., Chris Ballard, who has agreed to meet with him, hoping to have the request represented to the Ontario government parliament by the M.P.P. on Dan’s behalf.
The “ Stroll & Roll” march plans to gather at 12:00 noon on Tuesday July 7th 2015, arriving at the Constituency office by 3pm and disbursing soon thereafter.
Contact for the event is via cell phone @ 289-221-0928.
You may also want to know:
- Samsung Won Several Prestigious Honors at the Cannes Lions 2015: “Look at Me” Interactive Camera App Helps Children with Autism; Smartphone App “Backup Memory” Helps Alzheimer’s Patients Via Photos & Videos
- “Water’s Edge”: Public Exhibition of Large-scale Photographs About Global Fresh Water Supplies: Photography Auction June 24 – July 8 + Public Opening Reception & Exhibition 9 July-16 August + V.I.P. Reception & Silent Auction 9 July + No.9 Fresh Water Symposium 10 July 2015 (Toronto: FREE admissions for Public Opening Reception & Exhibition)
- You’re Invited: “Home Field Advantage: Toronto’s Summer Sporting Sites” Exhibition of Historic Photographs Runs to Sept.26 at No Cost: To Celebrate TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games July 10 – Aug.14 (FREE Admission for Exhibition)
- Olympus “Summer of Tough” Contest 2015 Has 8 Entry Periods for U.S.A., D.C., Canada: Submit Original & Inspirational Photos of Your “Summer Adventure” Between 12:01AM on First Day and 11:59:59AM EDT on Last Day of Each Entry Period: Jun.9-15, 16-22, 23-29, Jun.30-July 6, 7-13, 14-20, 21-27, July 28-Aug.3
- Canon Canada + Twitter: Canon’s New Twitter Account @CanonCanada & ‘Join Our Party’ Contest (#CanonParty): 3 Remaining Entry Periods June 8-14, 14-21, 22-28, 2015
- Fujifilm “Honor Your Favorite Service Men and Women” Photo Sweepstakes-Consumer for the USA and Washington, D.C.: Register and Upload Your Unique Personal Photos Based on Theme “Honor Your Favorite Service Men and Women” Before 5:00 p.m. EDT on July 10, 2015
- Canon + Actor Mario Lopez Invite Fans in U.S.A., D.C. and Canada to Enter Canon Little League Photo Contest: Remaining Entry Periods: 12 am June 1 – 6 pm ET June 30; 12 am July 1 – 9 pm ET July 24, 2015
- Intel Security’s #PasswordConfession Contest: Share a Fun #PasswordConfession Picture, Video, Tweet or Status Update before 11:59 PM Pacific Time on 7/1/2015
- Canon: Donation of Money to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children in the U.S.A. + More Than 2,200 Pieces of Equipment, Including Digital Cameras to Law Enforcement Agencies in 50 States, Puerto Rico and Guam
- Intel Security’s Phishing Quiz Reveals 97 Per Cent of People Worldwide Cannot Identify Destructive Phishing Emails: “Make it a Rule to Never Click on Links or Attachments in Emails / Texts”
- Intel Security: “The Realities of Cyber Parenting: What Pre-teens and Teens Are Up To Online” Study Reveals Concerns About Online Safety & Privacy
- Samsung “Care for Nepal” Project Provided Relief Materials & Communication Services to the Victims of the Earthquake
- Samsung eMotion Project Helped Provide Emotional Support for Hospitalized Children Via Samsung Gear VR: Virtual Adventure Content was Shot Using 360-degree Cameras
- Fujifilm’s Technology in Photo Development Will Be Used to Develop a Rapid Diagnostic System for Ebola Virus Disease
- Ricoh’s “Save the Memory Project”: Returning 90,000 Lost Photos from the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
- MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer & Tissue Engineering: Video Shows Custom Reconstruction of Living Windpipe
- Make Poverty History: Canadians, Please Add Your Voices to the Call for a Federal Anti-Poverty Plan Now
- Caledon Institute of Social Policy Releases a New Report on Welfare Incomes: “Welfare in Canada 2013″
- Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014
- New “Pronghorn Management Guides” Presents 33 Photos of Pronghorn Conservation in USA, Mexico and Canada
- Ontario Proposes ‘Protecting Condominium Owners Act’ for Canadians: No Surprise Costs for a Newly-built Condo; New Condo Authority; Financial Management Rules; Mandatory Licensing for Managers
- 2015 Intel Security Survey: 30% Sent Personal Photos to Others Via Mobile Devices & 50% Don’t Delete Personal Photos or Videos Sent to Others
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- You’re Invited: Take Home and “Test Drive” a Leica M Camera System & Two Lenses Overnight @ No Cost: Leica Store Bellevue in Washington, USA (FREE Test Drive program)
- Canada National Award for 2015 Sony World Photography Awards: Winner is George Ching-Yuen Lo from Vancouver
- 2015 Scotiabank Photography Award, the Most Prestigious Award in Canadian Contemporary Photography: You’re Invited to Mark Ruwedel Exhibition Apr.29-Jun.28, 2015 (FREE Admission, Toronto)
- Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition for Galaxy S6 Smartphone: World-first Fully Immersive Virtual Reality Storytelling “David Attenborough’s First Life” Experience at Natural History Museum, London from 19 June 2015: No Cost for Only Museum Entrance (UK)
- Nova Scotian Photographers Age 50 or Older: Exhibit Your Work in the Seniors’ Art and Photo Gallery in Halifax
- You’re Invited: “C’est la Vie in B&W ” Photography Reception May 7 & Exhibition Runs Through July 2, 2015 @ Leica Store San Francisco
- You’re Invited: “Light, Paper, Process: Reinventing Photography” Exhibition @ No Cost, The Getty Center, Los Angeles: Continues to Sept.6, 2015
- Newseum’s ‘Reporting Vietnam’: New Exhibit of Powerful Photos & News Footage for the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War: May 22, 2015 – Sept. 12, 2016 (in Washington, D.C., USA; Kids’ Admission is FREE from July 1 to Sept. 7, 2015 )
- You’re Invited: Visa pour l’Image 2015 Exhibitions, Screenings, Symposium, ‘Meet the Photographers’ Sessions Aug.29 – Sept.13, 2015 @ No Cost in Perpignan, France
- Prestigious Deutsche Börse Photography Prize 2015 Annouces Winners: Exhibition of Winners & Shortlisted Photographers in London at No Cost (Until 7 June) and in Frankfurt (20 June – 20 September)
- Panasonic UK: #4KLumix Photo Walks Using 4K Lumix Cameras @ National Trust Properties: Experience the Lumix 4K PHOTO, May – September 2015 (in the UK)
- You’re Invited: ‘In Focus: Animalia’ Exhibition @ The Getty Center, Los Angeles: @ No Cost, May 26 – Oct.18, 2015
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission in London, UK)
- Panasonic + UNESCO: Beautiful 2015 World Heritage Calendar App for PCs & Tablets in Five Languages (FREE App)
- Stratasys’ New Recycling Program of 3D Printing Material Canisters & Cartridges for North American Customers Starts Today: Waste Disposal at No Charge (FREE disposal & recycling program)
- Samsung’s Software Development Kit (SDK) is Released: Third-party Developers are Invited to Help Build Next Samsung Wearable Prior to the Product Launch
- Panasonic Will Share Intellectual Property to Speed Development of Internet of Things (IoT) Software & Services (Panasonic formally pledges to provide royalty-FREE access to software, patents and experience from its product ecosystem)
- Google Earth Pro is Now Available at No Cost: Interactive Imagery of Google Earth With Professional Tools for Business or Personal Use (FREE)
- Panasonic: New “NEYMAR JR. CRAZY SKILLS” Interactive Webpage at No Cost: True-to-life 3D Images of Neymar Jr.’s Superb Skills Can Be Viewed and Shared on Smartphones or Computers (FREE)
- UrtheCast’s High-Resolution Camera on the ISS Captured & Released the World’s First Full-Color HD Videos of London, Boston and Barcelona from Space (UrtheCast Corp., the Earth Observation (EO) company, aims to open the world to anyone with an internet connection: FREE)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Samsung Canada + National Hockey League: Samsung Smartphones Offer Enhanced Personalization within Official NHL App, Exclusive Access to Branded ‘Inside the NHL Situation Room’ Videos & More
- Fujifilm: New ‘Pro Rental Service’ for Enthusiast & Professional Photographers and ‘Professional Repair Rental Program’ in USA: Effective March 16, 2015
- Nikon Canada Invites Canadian Residents to Nikon Image Space: An Online Service for Sharing Photos or Recording Memories (FREE online service for all Canadian residents to share & record images: FREE two GB of storage for everyone and Nikon camera owners get an extra FREE 18 GB of storage.)
- New NIKON IMAGE SPACE App Renewal at No Charge: Benefits Include Seeing Images Larger & Browsing Images Stored on Your Smart Device (FREE online photo sharing service + FREE renewal of smart device app for “NIKON IMAGE SPACE”)
- Canon’s Cloud-based Image Management Service, irista: No Cost for Up to 15GB + New Updates are Now Live (FREE 15GB of cloud storage space with full irista functionality)
- Canon Europe Acquires Lifecake – Baby Photo Timeline: A Photo-sharing App for Families to Create Photo & Video Timelines (Lifecake is available FREE for iPhone, iPad and Android)
- Canon Releases English-version PERSTEXT App for iOS for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch @ No Cost: Photo Editing to Insert Text with a Sense of Perspective to Saved Photos
- You’re Invited to the New Leica Fotopark: A Photo Platform for Passionate Photographers to Discover, Exchange, Organise, Create [Registration on www.leica-fotopark is FREE, as is the use of the platform for data volumes of up to ten gigabytes (GB)]
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Nikon’s New Download Center for Nikon Digital Cameras & Related Products: Offers Software & Manuals in 43 Languages
- Nikon: New NIKKOR Motion Gallery Series Features Short Films as New Possibilities of Video Imaging Through NIKKOR Lenses & Nikon Cameras
- Olympus: New Underwater Photo Gallery Showcases “The Beauty Below”: Fascinating Photographs of Underwater Wonders in Vivid Colours with Exquisite Details
- Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors’ #FutureofCities: You’re Invited to Share Photos from Your Changing Cities
- Sony Imaging PRO Support at No Charge for Certain Professional Photographers Using α Camera Equipment in Germany: Effective Apr.1, 2015: Submit Applications Now
- Canada National Award for 2015 Sony World Photography Awards: Winner is George Ching-Yuen Lo from Vancouver
- Ricoh THETA Developer Contest of Apps or Gadgets for Ricoh THETA Camera: Register Before 23:59 JST on June 10 and Submit Documents Before 23:59 JST on June 30, 2015
- #OlympusSummerSelfie Competition Prize is Olympus Tough TG-860 Camera for the UK: Three Entry Periods to Share Each Summer Selfie With #OlympusSummerSelfie and a Comment: June (Submit Before 28 June), July, and August 2015
- Canon #PrintWithCanonSweeps Photo Sweepstakes for USA and District of Columbia; 13 Years of Age or Older: Submit Entries Before 11:59 P.M. ET. Aug.31, 2015
- 2015 Aimia | AGO Photography Prize for Contemporary Photography: 27 Semi-finalists Selected from Around the World (Shortlist to be announced on June 23; then public voting starts on Sept. 15, 2015)
- 2016 Sony World Photography Awards: Entries to Be Submitted by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 4 Dec. 2015 for Student Focus, by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 5 Jan.2016 for Open, Youth & National, by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 12 Jan 2016 for Professional
- National Gallery of Canada and Imperial War Museums Ask You to Share Online Family Photos of World War 1
- McAfee: Most Dangerous Celebrities Study + Most Dangerous Celebrity Sweepstakes Ends at 5 PM PDT Oct.31, 2014
- Scarborough Subway Project Assessment-Line 2 Extension: Public Consultations Jan.31 & Feb.2, 2015 + Online Feedback
- Panasonic’s Medical Delivery Robot “HOSPI” in the “Center for Advanced Medical Robotics” in Thailand
- Celebrate: Fort York Visitor Centre (five new exhibitions is opened inside the new Visitor Centre in 2014 – 2015)
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians