Manitoba News Release
The Province of Manitoba is distributing this release on behalf of the Government and the Lt.-Gov. of Manitoba.
February 3, 2011
MANITOBA TO JOIN NATIONAL CELEBRATIONS TO COMMEMORATE MONARCH’S DIAMOND JUBILEE IN 2012
Events to Recognize and Honour 60 Years of Service as Queen of Canada
Lt.-Gov. Philip Lee and Premier Greg Selinger today announced Manitoba will actively support provincial and national celebrations in 2012 to commemorate Queen Elizabeth’s 60 years of service to Canada and the Commonwealth.
“Manitoba was honored to have Her Majesty and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh tour Manitoba last year and the affection Manitobans young and old have for Her Majesty was never more evident than during her public walkabouts,” said Lee.
In making today’s announcement, Selinger said he has asked Phyllis Fraser, chief of staff and private secretary to the lieutenant-governor, and Dwight MacAulay, provincial chief of protocol and a member of the National Diamond Jubilee Advisory Committee, to co-chair a committee to promote Manitoba’s active participation in jubilee celebrations.
“Over the course of the next several months we will be posting progress and developments on the Manitoba government website as well as soliciting ideas and initiatives from all parts of the province as we mark this historic milestone,” said Selinger.