This video presents “24 SEVEN Exclusive — Maternal, Newborn and Child Health.”
From May 28 to 30, 2014, Prime Minister Harper will host a Global Summit on maternal, newborn and child health in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- “With a focus on reducing the preventable deaths of newborns, women and children younger than the age of five in developing countries, the Summit will bring together global leaders and Canadian experts to galvanize support for the next phase of efforts and ensure that maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) remains a global priority.”
This week, the Prime Minister will be hosting world leaders at the Saving Every Women Every Child Summit in Toronto to discuss international commitments to women and children in the developing world.
- Please click here to read the Prime Minister’s Message: Saving Every Woman, Every Child: Within Arm’s Reach; Delivering results. Doing more together. Taking real action.
The Make Poverty History Steering Committee suggests the following ways you can participate in this historic moment:
- Stay up to date with the happenings over the week by following hashtags #SavingLives and #CanadaCares.
- Call on Prime Minister Harper to make vaccination a top priority for the Summit.
- If you live in Toronto, attend the #CanadaCares Concert and Family Day: FREE Admision; Thursday May 29th from 3pm to 9pm at Young-Dundas Square.
- This FREE event is brought to you by a coalition of organizations from the Canadian Network for Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (CAN-MNCH), including Save the Children, Plan Canada, World Vision, Aga Khan Foundation Canada, Micronutrient Initiative, Grand Challenges Canada, Sick Kids, and the Canadian Red Cross.
- Come celebrate Canada’s leadership in saving the lives of millions of mothers, newborns and children, around the world.
- Learn how Canadian organizations are working to end global maternal, newborn and child mortality – in a family-friendly environment – and show your support for this cause through their interactive Twitter wall.
- Moms can enjoy a safe and comfortable area for nursing, and take part in knitting a vibrant ‘Blanket of Hope,’ to show their solidarity with moms and newborns struggling to survive.
- This blanket will be sewn together with blankets from other countries, into a global Blanket of Hope (which will be displayed in at an upcoming political summit for moms and newborns, in Johannesburg).
- The event will feature a supervised play area for children, with face painting and a variety of activities, plus a splash fountain.
- Award-winning singer songwriter, Serena Ryder, will perform in the evening, with Canada’s Queen of R&B, Jully Black, as the opening act.
Enjoy! / Amusez-vous!
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- “Toronto: Street Level” Exhibition: Photos of Physical Disability & Accessibility Until End of July + Reception May 29, 2014
- You’re Invited: Doors Open Ontario May 3 – October 18; Doors Open Toronto May 24 & 25, 2014 (FREE admission)
- Nikon Canada + Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival: Lecture Series, Weekly Contest & Prizes May 1-June 1, 2014 (FREE admissions to festival, lectures and contest.)
- 2014 Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival May 1–31, 2014 in Toronto (FREE admission for some exhibitions and events.)
- Digital Microscope Camera + Social Artistry: The I Love You Project Exhibition May 30-June 1, 2014 (FREE admission to exhibition and Bushwick Open Studios 2014 festival, NY, USA)
- IMPORTANT INFO – Samsung #DITCHtheDSLR event tomorrow (Samsung clarifies its OFFICIAL terms and conditions for “ditching” or trading in a DSLR camera for a Samsung NX30 – June 4, 2014.)
- Samsung #DITCHTHEDSLR Free Event in Times Square: Ditch Your DSLR for Mirrorless NX Cameras June 4, 2014 (Times Square, NY, USA)
- FUJIFILM Canada Announces “Walk in the Park” Tour with the Fuji Guys and L’Expert Fuji 2014 (FREE Admission: Montreal, June 7; Ottawa, June 8; Toronto, June 22; Victoria, September 20) *Dates are subject to change
- Toronto Star Photo Contest: Send in your picture for the Toronto Star Amateur Photographer of the Year $4K Prize (deadline for entries is June 8, 2014)
- 2014 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest: Entries Must Be Received by June 30, 2014 at 12 P.M. EDT
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Union Station Closure Apr.5 – 7 Before 6 A.M.+ Closures of Gardiner Expressway Start Apr.25, 2014 (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Toronto’s Transit Relief Line & Yonge Relief Network Study Consultations Apr.5, 8, 10,12, 2014 (or provide your feedback online)
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- 20 Key Accomplishments to Protect the Health and Safety of Canadians: Health Canada’s Review of 2013
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians