This video presents “Share The Road Truck Cycling Safety PSA 2013” from Top Drawer Creative on Vimeo.
The Share the Road Cycling Coalition and partners have launched the Stay Safe, Stay Back campaign for safer cycling, which is also known as the Share The Road Truck Cycling Safety campaign in Ontario, Canada.
Due to cyclists’ fatalities involving trucks, the Stay Safe, Stay Back campaign have the following objectives.
- Emphasize the importance of recognizing the blind spots on large trucks wherein cyclists are not easily seen by truck drivers.
- Educate cyclists about the risks associated with large trucks.
- Provide visual cues to remind cyclists to stay out of the “no-go zone“, where they are invisible to drivers and vulnerable to injury due to the wide right turns made by trucks.
This campaign has the following main components:
- Development and distribution of a “Stay Safe, Stay Back” decal which will be placed on the back of all City of Toronto trucks (and other trucks — including municipal fleet vehicles — across the province) warning cyclists of the importance of remaining visible, and the dangers of cycling into a driver’s blind spot.
- Print ads that encourage cyclists to stay back, stay safe — and be aware of blind spots.
- A 30-second Public Service Announcement (PSA) with messages focused on both target audiences: truck drivers and cyclists.
- Launch of a website: www.staysafestayback.ca, to serve as a resource hub on the issue of road safety for truck drivers and cyclists.
For more information about this campaign, please contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org
UPDATE: Today, CBC News reported a cyclist’s leg and pelvis were crushed when she became pinned under a truck on Wednesday morning, October 16. I believe that not only must a cyclist avoid the NO GO zone of a truck, but at a traffic stop a cyclist must also get onto the sidewalk and wait on the sidewalk as soon as a truck approaches them for a traffic stop. That is, in order for cyclists to survive city streets and/or traffic, they must look out and avoid trucks at all times, especially at traffic stops.
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Sponsored Video: World-Changing Dreamers (IF WE Challenge) – Teaser (This is a social conversation contest. Enter the contest for a chance to win prize values up to $12,000, including a trip to Paris! The Contest is open from September 16 to October 28, 2013 inclusive. Please check the important contest rules.)
- KEVIN O’LEARY: 40 YEARS OF PHOTOGRAPHY Exhibit: To Benefit Teenage Entrepreneurs (Exhibit and sale of limited edition, signed, framed prints continues to November 15, 2013. O’Leary will donate all profits from the sale of his photographs to aspiring teenage entrepreneurs in an online “Future Dragon” contest launching later this year.)
- Energy Apps for Ontario Challenge: Win $50000 for Best Apps Using Electricity Data from Smart Meters (Oct. 1, 2013 to Jan. 7, 2014)
- “Still Waters Forget / Les eaux calmes oublient”: Photography Exhibition (October 9 – December 20, 2013)
- Life on the Grid Exhibit: 100 Years of Toronto Street Photography (Exhibit continues to May 2014 from Monday to Friday; Exhibit on Saturdays: from October 19, 2013 – April 12, 2014)
- McAfee LiveSafe is Now Available: Cross-Device Security Service with Facial and Voice Recognition Technology for Consumer Devices
- McAfee Mobile Innovations App’s Smart Perimeter is Available: Alerts Users of Theft or Loss of Mobile Devices
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Your Input: Use of Jets at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport + Communities’ Cultural Infrastructure (14 Ward-Based Meetings from September 16 to October 30, 2013)
- Your Input: Toronto Neighbourhoods Oct.3-Nov.1 + Open Houses on Eglinton Ave.’s Future Oct.7-9, 2013
- You’re Invited: Great Canadian Events in Ontario Sept.7-Oct.31; Toronto Road Closures Sept 7-8, 2013
- Toronto’s Market Gallery Face To Place Exhibition (FREE Admission; Sept. 21 – Oct. 19, 2013; Opening Reception & Fundraiser Sept.21)
- World Press Photo 13 Exhibition in Toronto, Canada (FREE Admission: October 1 – 21, 2013)
- You’re Invited: Toronto’s Great Events May 18 – 21 and Victoria Day May 20, 2013 (Heritage Toronto Tours April – October 2013)
- You’re Invited: Spring & Green Events in Ontario May 10 – 12, 2013 (ROMwalks May 1, 2013 – October 20, 2013)
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- You’re Invited: Great Events in Ontario July 20-26 + TTC Alerts Jul.20-21 + Toronto Road Closures Jul.20-Dec.2013
- Toronto Alert: Poster on Public Property Bylaw, Downsview Station Closed June 29, TTC Ride Guide Photo Contest by July 4 at 11:59 p.m.
- Feeling Congested? Meetings; Dufferin St.Bridge Closed to Vehicles From Jun.12; Avenue Rd Work Jun.10-Sept.15, 2013
- No TTC Streetcars on Kingston Rd. Jun.3-Dec.+ Real Time Info Signs on Gardiner Expy & Lake Shore Blvd Jun.2013
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- McAfee & Intel Offer New Digital Life Protection Service in Beta to Partners Now & Its Consumer Version in Mid-2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Ontario Proposes Regulations to Limit Access to Generic OxyContin: Your Comments Before Dec.24, 2012 at 5 P.M. EST
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians