The following video (duration 46 min:01 sec) presents Budget 2016:
“Minister Morneau’s First Budget Restores Hope for the Middle Class, Ottawa, March 22, 2016.”
Minister of Finance, Bill Morneau, recently tabled the new Government of Canada’s first federal budget, Growing the Middle Class, which includes the following key highlights:
“Growing the Middle Class comes at a time when the Government of Canada has both the capacity and the willingness to act. Budget 2016 takes action to revitalize the economy and create opportunity for all Canadians, by focusing on the middle class and those working hard to join it.”
- As of January 1st, the government’s Middle Class Tax Cut ensures roughly 9 million Canadians receive a bigger paycheque every payday.
- New Canada Child Benefit: Starting in July of 2016, nine out of ten families will receive more money than they did under the previous government.
- To create jobs, there will be new investments in infrastructure that total more than $120 billion over the next decade.
- As an immediate first step, the government will invest $11.9 billion in modern and reliable public transit, water and wastewater systems, affordable housing, and in retrofits and repairs to protect existing projects from the effects of climate change.
- Help Canada become a low carbon economy. Establish a $2 billion Low Carbon Economy Fund.
- Support both students and post-secondary institutions.
- Support clean technology to better position Canada in the rapidly shifting global economy. Clean technologies that address climate change, air quality, clean water, and clean soil.
- Unprecedented investments in First Nations, Inuit Peoples, and the Métis Nation—totalling $8.4 billion over five years—in areas that include education, infrastructure, and skills training. The government will ensure access to clean drinking water for every child, including those who live on reserves.
- Enhance the Canada Pension Plan; and fulfill our sacred obligation to Canada’s veterans.
Minister Morneau’s First Budget Restores Hope for the Middle Class
March 22, 2016 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance
The Minister of Finance, Bill Morneau, today tabled the new Government of Canada’s first federal budget, Growing the Middle Class, a plan that takes important steps to revitalize the Canadian economy, and delivers real change for the middle class and those working hard to join it. Continue reading “Government of Canada’s First Federal Budget 2016: “Growing the Middle Class””