This video presents “Inside look at tunnel under Niagara Falls”:
Nov. 8, 2012: Ontario Announced that the Niagara Tunnel Project Nears Completion
This is an update to my previous blog BIG BECKY Boring Phase is Now Completed for the Niagara Tunnel Project.
The Niagara Tunnel Project will divert water from the Niagara River and carry it to the Niagara Falls generating stations.
- With the completion of the concrete lining for the 10.2 kilometre tunnel
- About 500,000 cubic metres of concrete were used to line the tunnel – enough to build a sidewalk from Windsor to Quebec City
- The tunnel liner wall is 60 centimetres thick and made of cast-in-place concrete
- Ontario is building clean, renewable power; creating 400 jobs
- When completed in 2013, the tunnel will allow:
Additional water from the Niagara River to flow to the Sir Adam Beck Generating Station at a rate of 500 cubic metres per second
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) to increase output at the Sir Adam Beck generating stations by about 1.6 billion kilowatt-hours
- This will supply Ontario with enough clean, renewable electricity to power 160,000 homes
- The Niagara Tunnel Project is the largest renewable energy project of its type under construction anywhere in the world and has brought approximately $1 billion in economic benefits to the region
Did you know?