Calling all published poets who currently reside in the City of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and who have either an established body of work or have been recognized for notable contributions early in their career to submit nominations and expressions of interest for the position of City of Vancouver Poet Laureate for the 2011 – 2014 term.
The Vancouver Poet Laureate’s duties are as follows:
- participate in the literary life of the City;
- produce new original works during their term that reflect or represent ideas and issues of importance to the people of Vancouver;
- present, in person, works of significance at civic events, City Council meetings, or official civic functions;
- read from their work at the annual City Vancouver Arts Awards and other civic cultural events; and
- such other duties as are proposed in their submission and are deemed viable by the Assessment Committee.
The Vancouver Poet Laureate will be selected for a period of three years commencing in Fall 2011. A stipend of $5,000 per year will be provided.