The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) programs address the following concerns:
- Green initiatives:
- Green Municipal Fund: $550M fund by the Government of Canada to support municipal efforts to improve air, water and soil quality
- Affordable housing
- Affordable housing units by removing a significant number of regulatory barriers.
- Women in local government
- The United Nations defines 30 per cent as the minimal percentage of women required for government to reflect women’s concerns.
- Women represent 16 per cent of mayors and 25 per cent of councilors in Canada, for an average of 24 per cent.
- In absolute terms, of 23,821 elected officials, 5,734 are women.
- Based on current statistics, Canada would need 1,412 more women in elected office today to reach the 30 per cent target.
- That means increasing the number of women in municipal government by roughly 100 every year for the next 15 years.
- FCM wants to help close this gender gap.
- Climate protection
- Partnering with First Nations communities
- Service agreement partnerships between First Nations communities and adjacent municipalities.
Also, the Federation of Canadian Municipalities programs provide an opportunity for Canadian municipalities to share know-how and resources domestically as well as overseas through international development initiatives.
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Sustainability Conference & Trade Show is FCM’s annual Sustainable Communities Conference and Trade Show, which provides municipal leaders with proven solutions for sustainable community development.