Happy 125th Anniversary Vancouver!
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, invites you to join in the Birthday Live celebration – a free, all-ages event at Jack Poole Plaza, site of the Olympic Cauldron.
The Birthday Live itinerary includes the following activities:
Birthday Live – FREE!
Date: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 from 2pm to 10pm
Location: Jack Poole Plaza (site of the Olympic Cauldron), outdoor plaza at Thurlow & Canada Place, adjacent to the Vancouver Convention Centre (1055 Canada Place)
Featured Artists & Activities
- Street Hockey Tournament for adult and youth teams from 2pm to 5pm.
- Official ceremonies from 6pm to 7pm with Mayor Gregor Robertson, leaders of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations and other dignitaries.
- Olympic Cauldron Lighting during the official ceremonies.
- A giant birthday cake created by the faculty and culinary students at Vancouver Community College Baking and Pastry Arts Department. Free cake will be served following the official ceremonies.
Main stage performances running from 4pm to 10pm (all performance times are approximate only):
- Uzume Taiko (4pm performance time)
- Uzume Taiko is a mesmerizing percussion ensemble that infuses traditional Japanese taiko drumming with a unique West Coast style.
- mmHoP: HOP•JUMP•JIVE •125 (4:40pm and 7:10pm performance time)
- HOP•JUMP•JIVE •125, darlings of audience-engaging, multi-media performance art, mmHoP dancers will perform Hop-Jump-Jive-125 a site specific birthday dance party.
- Leela Gilday (5pm performance time)
- Leela Gilday is a Dene singer/songwriter whose acclaim includes a Western Canadian Music Award, a Canadian Aboriginal Music Award, and an Aboriginal Peoples Choice Music Award.
- Vancouver Bach Choir (6:40pm performance time)
- Vancouver Bach Choir will lead the crowd in singing O Canada and Happy Birthday, and perform popular arias and choral favourites.
- Bend Sinister (7:35pm performance time)
- Bend Sinister is hailed for their original indie songs and high energy shows.
- Time Drifts: Video and light art installation (8:20pm start time)
- Time Drifts is a large-scale video and light art installation by Berlin-based multi-media artist Phillipp Geist. Geist works internationally using video, performance, photography and painting.
- 54-40 (8:45pm performance time)
- 54-40, the iconic Canadian alternative rock band with Vancouver roots, will headline the Birthday Live main stage.