This video presents “Tunnelling for The Crosstown”:
- Metrolinx, an agency of the Government of Ontario, is moving ahead on the Eglinton Crosstown light rail transit (LRT) project, part of the province’s 8.4 billion dollar investment in transit expansion for Toronto in Ontario, Canada
- Construction will begin by digging tunnels that will be constructed by large tunnel boring machines or TBMs for short
The Crosstown is a 19-kilometre light rail transit (LRT) line that will run under and along Eglinton Avenue through the heart of Toronto.
- Running along Eglinton Avenue, the LRT will connect west to east from Jane Street/Black Creek Drive to Kennedy Station
- Ten kilometres of The Crosstown will be tunnelled underground between Keele Street and Laird Drive (depicted as a brown line of the map above)
- and The Crosstown will continue east on an at-grade right-of-way separated from traffic to Kennedy Station, where it will join with a converted Scarborough RT line (depicted as a blue line of the above map) on an elevated structure (depicted as a light blue line)
- Construction of The Crosstown began in the summer of 2011, and has a projected completion date of 2020
- By the end of 2012, four 10.5-metre, 500-tonne tunnel boring machines (TBMs) will be delivered in Toronto
- These TBMs will dig the tunnel underneath Eglinton Avenue for The Crosstown Light Rail Transit line
Four tunnel boring machines with such an important job deserve proper names, and Metrolinx needs your help naming them:
Submit an entry for the Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) Naming Contest for a chance to put your personal stamp on one of the biggest transit expansion projects in Toronto’s history.
Naming the TBMs is easy:
- Just think of your most creative, fun and exciting suggestion for the names of one set of TBMs
For example, “Laverne and Shirley” or “Lucy and Ricky”
- Complete the form anytime between October 26 and November 8, 2012
Six semi-finalists will be selected by a panel of judges by November 13, 2012
- Visit their page from November 14 to November 19, 2012 to vote for your favourite entry!
The two entries with the greatest number of votes win
Limit of one vote per person
Please follow this link to participate in the contest: thecrosstown.ca/tbmcontest
Good Luck! / Bonne Chance!
You may also want to know:
- Roberto Rossini: Toronto’s New Deputy City Manager & Chief Financial Officer Will Start on Jan.7, 2013
- You’re Invited: Alliance Française’s Photography Exhibition of Elkaim’s Keepers of Memory Oct.25-Dec.20, 2012
- You’re Invited: Alliance Française de Toronto’s Photo Exhibitions & Lecture in October 2012 to Dec. 14
- Metro Vancouver’s Social Purpose Real Estate: Do the Rent-Lease-Own? Survey for a Chance to Win an iPad
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians
- Gentec Announces Canadian Distribution of the ION Air Pro™Camera that Crossed Niagara Falls with Nik Wallenda
- McAfee Alert: One in Every Six Personal Computers – Zero Protection; Canada is 7th Least Protected Country