The following video presents Toronto Tech Startup:
“Toronto’s vibrant technology startup community. Those familiar with the community will tell you that it boasts some of the brightest minds in the business — entrepreneurs, mentors and financiers. In many respects, it can be compared to the emerging tech communities in New York City or Tel Aviv. The difference, however, is that Toronto lacks both local public awareness and a unifying voice and identity for its indigenous startup community.
This film gives you a general insight and the feel for what’s taking place in the Toronto tech culture. You Will hear several perspectives and see the role of some of the key players driving the growth of e-commence in Toronto and across Canada.”
Here are some exciting 2016 news for entrepreneurs.
StartUp HERE Toronto
To support the growing startup community along the broader Toronto-Waterloo innovation corridor in Ontario, Canada, the City of Toronto recently launched a website, startupheretoronto.com, which showcases Toronto’s startup news and events all in one place.
- The StartUp HERE Toronto website was built and will be managed in partnership with Toronto startups, incubators, accelerators, funders and educational institutions.
- To learn why Toronto is the place to build and grow your startup, please visit http://startupheretoronto.com/why-here/ .
City of Toronto Mayor John Tory will travel to Kitchener-Waterloo on March 23 as part of his work with City of Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic to promote increased collaboration and improved connections between the regions.
- Also, the two mayors will participate in a dual city mission to San Francisco and Silicon Valley in April, where they will communicate the region’s strengths, encourage investment and promote the Toronto-Waterloo regional corridor as an important home to talent and innovation.
There are four key items that will inform the city’s innovation agenda: talent attraction and retention; civic engagement, developing Toronto’s reputation as a digital testing ground, and creating an innovation friendly regulatory and procurement environment.
Startup Finance Events in Canada: FREE admissions
Startup Canada invites you to join them for the FREE Startup Finance events, in Canada, which will equip you with the tools, resources, and mentorship to grow a sustainable, scalable and fully fundable enterprise. This program is delivered by Startup Canada, in partnership with Intuit Canada and the Fundica Roadshow. Refreshments will be provided.
- Inspiring keynotes from well-known local entrepreneurs
- Expert panels sharing insights on Canada’s funding continuum
- Breakout sessions on starting up, making the perfect pitch, scaling up, and business modeling
- QuickBooks Crash Courses
- Mentor mash-ups featuring expertise on starting up lean, opening a bank account, angels, venture capitalists, crowdfunding, accelerators, taxes and business valuation
“Disclaimer: By registering for this event, you agree your information (name, address, and email address) will be available for use by Startup Canada, Intuit Canada, and the local organizer, to better connect you to services to help you grow your business.“
- Date: February 25 at 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM (EST)
- Location: Telus Centre for Performance and Learning | 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario M5J 2V5, Canada
- If you can’t make it to the event, join them for a virtual live stream of the Startup Finance event in Toronto, February 25, where you’ll be able to listen in on the experience. Please register for the Startup Finance Toronto LIVE stream at http://www.startupcan.ca/ourwork/startup-finance-live-toronto/ . You will receive a link to the live stream the day of the event.
- Registration for the in-person Startup Finance Toronto event at http://www.startupcan.ca/ourwork/startup-finance-toronto/ .
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Event
- Date: March 14 at 3:30 pm
- Location: Volta Labs
1505 Barrington St.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Please register at http://www.startupcan.ca/ourwork/startup-finance-halifax/ .
Waterloo, Ontario, Event
- Date: March 16 at 5:30 pm
- Location: Hauser Haus (2nd Floor), Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex.
101 Father David Bauer Drive
Waterloo, Ontario N2J 4A8
- Please register at http://www.startupcan.ca/ourwork/startup-finance-waterloo/ .
Montréal, Québec, Event
- Exact location and date TBA
- Please register at http://www.startupcan.ca/ourwork/startup-finance-montreal/ .
Calgary, Alberta, Event
- Date: April 6 at 5:00 pm
- Location: Innovate Calgary
- Please register at http://www.startupcan.ca/ourwork/startup-finance-calgary/ .
Burnaby, British Columbia, Event
- Date: April 13 at 5:30 pm
- Location: 4501 Kingsway
- Please register at http://www.startupcan.ca/ourwork/startup-finance-vancouver/ .
For info about other FREE exciting events from StartUp Canada, please visit http://www.startupcan.ca/ .
Mayor Tory to champion Toronto region as global centre of innovation
Toronto Mayor John Tory today launched a new city website and plan to champion the region as a centre of startups, innovation and growth, in partnership with City of Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic.
The two mayors will participate in a dual city mission to San Francisco and Silicon Valley in April, where they will communicate the region’s strengths, encourage investment and promote the Toronto-Waterloo regional corridor as an important home to talent and innovation.
“Toronto and the Waterloo Region are no farther apart than San Francisco and Silicon Valley, and are home to a diverse, highly educated population and game changing ideas,” said Mayor Tory. “We need to build our reputation as a place where great talent is nurtured, industries can grow and where we engage the public in finding innovative solutions.”
Mayor Tory will also travel to Kitchener-Waterloo on March 23 as part of his work with Mayor Vrbanovic to promote increased collaboration and improved connections between the regions.
“Thousands of finance and tech workers travel between Toronto and the Waterloo Region every day,” said Mayor Vrbanovic. “Developing the corridor that connects us will move people more efficiently, promoting greater collaboration and economic development and enabling us to compete on an international scale with the world’s largest innovation centres.”
To support the growing startup community along the broader Toronto-Waterloo innovation corridor, the City launched a website at startupheretoronto.com. The StartUp HERE Toronto website was built and will be managed in partnership with Toronto startups, incubators, accelerators, funders and educational institutions.
Mayor Tory launched the new site following a working group with private and public sector leaders and city staff on Thursday focused on four key items that will inform the city’s innovation agenda: talent attraction and retention; civic engagement, developing Toronto’s reputation as a digital testing ground, and creating an innovation friendly regulatory and procurement environment.
These initiatives are part of “From Concept to Commercialization: A Startup Eco-system Strategy for the City of Toronto,” which was endorsed by City Council in May 2015.
Today’s event was hosted by Shopify. You can find out more about this innovative Canadian technology company at press.shopify.com.
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. It is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture and is consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can visit toronto.ca, call 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or follow us @TorontoComms.
You may also want to know:
- Know The Glow: 4 Tips To Spot The Golden Reflective Glow In A Child’s Photo And Save His or Her Eyes
- Intel Security’s Valentine’s Day Survey, Stats & Tips to Help Keep Consumers Safe While Using Online Dating Apps around Valentine’s Day
- Ontario’s Draft Plan to Improve Pollinator Health & Reduce Pollinator Losses: Send Your Comments before March 7, 2016
- Panasonic Lumix GH4 4K Cameras + Panasonic’s Power Supply Container in Ternate Island, Indonesia: LIVE Coverage of the Solar ECLIPSE by Solar Power on March 9, 2016
- Samsung Unveils the First Samsung Safety Truck: To Prevent Road Accidents in Overtaking Situations on Roads in Argentina
- You’re Invited: The Nikon Museum at No Cost Will Open from October 17, 2015 to Showcase and Celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Nikon’s Foundation in 2017 (FREE admission in Tokyo, Japan)
- Olympus + The Photography Show: Blogger’s Day in the Life Competition (#TickTockSnapshot) for Bloggers in the UK: Submit Up to Four Photos That Capture a Day in the Life of You, the Blogger, before 12 February 2016
- Toronto Black History Month Creative Writing Contest for Ages 11 – 17: Submit Entries by Feb.16, 2016
- Olympus: #WinPENF Competition for the UK: Share Images That Showcase Craftsmanship & Design, before 12:00 on 25 February 2016
- Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition for Adults (Fee Required) and Minors (Entry at No Cost): Entries Must Be Received before 11.30 GMT on 25 February 2016
- Nikon Canada’s Snap & Share Photo Contest for Ontario, Canada: Deadline Has Been Extended to February 29, 2016
- Ontario (Canada) + India: Trade Agreements Worth Over $240 Million and More Than 150 High-Value Jobs to Be Created in Ontario
- Production Process of Fujifilm in Tilburg, The Netherlands, Operates Completely on Wind Energy as from 1 January 2016 Via Wind Turbines in the Netherlands and Belgium
- The Prime Minister of Canada Will Attend the 2015 Climate Conference in Paris, France, November 30 – December 11: “I Look Forward to Partnering with Provinces and Territories – and All Parties – to Achieve an Ambitious International Climate Agreement at COP 21 for Our and All Future Generations
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Open Letter to Canadians: “For the first time in our country’s history – there will be an equal number of women and men around the Cabinet table”
- Environmental Defence Canada: Please Urge Premier Wynne to Tell the National Energy Board That Ontario Rejects the Energy East Pipeline
- Canon U.S.A. + The National Center For Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC): Raised $390,400 for NCMEC & Donated More Than 2,500 Pieces of Digital Photographic & Imaging Technology Equipment to Assist Law Enforcement Agencies
- Samsung Won Several Prestigious Honors at the Cannes Lions 2015: “Look at Me” Interactive Camera App Helps Children with Autism; Smartphone App “Backup Memory” Helps Alzheimer’s Patients Via Photos & Videos
- Sony Announced the Winners of the Outstanding Contribution to Photography Prize of the 2016 Sony World Photography Awards
- A Stratasys 3D Printed Model of Five-year-old Mia Gonzalez’s Heart Was Used to Help the Surgical Team to Optimally Visualize a Specific Heart Structure in Order to Perform Mia’s Successful Surgery at Miami’s Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, USA
- Realistic Stratasys 3D Printed Model Guides Surgeons to Successful Treatment of a Patient’s Near-Fatal Brain Aneurysm at Kaleida Health’s Gates Vascular Institute in Buffalo, New York, USA
- Stratasys’ Multi-Color, Multi-Material 3D Printed Models of Patients’ Kidneys Aid Cancer Surgeons in Successfully Treating Patients & Improving Patient Understanding at the University Hospital (CHU) de Bordeaux in France
- Ontario Approved the 22nd and Final Source Water Protection Plan, Covering More Than 450 Municipal Drinking Water Systems for Canadians
- Canada’s Environment and Climate Change Minister Will Attend the 2015 Paris Climate Conference COP21, November 30 – December 11: To “work with our international partners on the adoption of an effective climate change agreement and in the transformation towards a low-carbon, climate resilient global economy”
- Panasonic + Denver in Colorado, USA: To Make a Smarter, More Sustainable City Service for Denver Residents & Visitors
- Sony Ranked First Among Japanese Companies in Performance & Information Disclosure in Combating Climate Change in the CDP Japan 500 Climate Change Report 2015
- Sony Pledges to #ActOnClimate and Aims for a Zero Environmental Footprint Throughout the Lifecycle of Their Products & Business Activities by 2050
- Ricoh is the Official Partner of the United Nation’s COP21 Climate Conference in Paris-Le Bourget from 30 November to 11 December, 2015
- Ricoh Joins ‘American Business Act on Climate Pledge’ to Reduce the Company’s Total Lifecycle of CO2 Emissions by 30% by 2020 and by 87.5% by 2050 from the 2000 Level
- Canon Develops Multi-Person Tracking Technology for Video Content Analysis Plug-In for Network Cameras: “Big Brother is Watching You” To Inform Marketing & Service About the Pedestrian Numbers, Genders & Ages, Congestion & Crowd Detection: To Be Available in 2016
- Data Privacy Day is Today, January 28: Intel Security’s Seven Key Steps for You to Take in Order to Protect Your Privacy Online
- Intel Security’s Tips on How Canadian Shoppers Can Guard Against Some Security Threats for 2015 Holiday Shopping Online
- Intel Security: Most Hackable Gifts of the Holidays 2015 + Tips to Help Ensure Holiday Gifts Remain Secure
- Intel Security Reveals the Most Dangerous Global & Canadian Cyber Celebrities of 2015 Exposing Internet Searchers to Viruses and Malware: McAfee WebAdvisor is Available at No Cost (FREE software)
- Intel Security’s Phishing Quiz Reveals 97 Per Cent of People Worldwide Cannot Identify Destructive Phishing Emails: “Make it a Rule to Never Click on Links or Attachments in Emails / Texts”
- Intel Security: New Consumer Security Services Include True Key App by Intel Security to Keep Connected Consumers Safe from Online Threats: Available Now (FREE True Key App)
- Intel Security: “The Realities of Cyber Parenting: What Pre-teens and Teens Are Up To Online” Study Reveals Concerns About Online Safety & Privacy
- Panasonic Vietnam Celebrated Five Years Anniversary of Panasonic Risupia Vietnam + Panasonic Vietnam and National Fund for Children Signed a New Donation Agreement for 2015
- Canon Makes a Donation to the Central Community Chest of Japan to Aid in the Relief Efforts for the Flood Victims of Typhoon Etau in Early September 2015
- Canon: Donation of Money to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children in the U.S.A. + More Than 2,200 Pieces of Equipment, Including Digital Cameras to Law Enforcement Agencies in 50 States, Puerto Rico and Guam
- Samsung “Care for Nepal” Project Provided Relief Materials & Communication Services to the Victims of the Earthquake
- Samsung eMotion Project Helped Provide Emotional Support for Hospitalized Children Via Samsung Gear VR: Virtual Adventure Content was Shot Using 360-degree Cameras
- Ricoh’s “Save the Memory Project”: Returning 90,000 Lost Photos from the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
- MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer & Tissue Engineering: Video Shows Custom Reconstruction of Living Windpipe
- Make Poverty History: Canadians, Please Add Your Voices to the Call for a Federal Anti-Poverty Plan Now
- Toronto Council Highlights Jul 7-9, 2015: Topics Include Social Housing, Car-pooling app – UberPool, Poverty & Woodbine Racetrack’s Expanded Gaming
- Caledon Institute of Social Policy Releases a New Report on Welfare Incomes: “Welfare in Canada 2013″
- Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014
- New “Pronghorn Management Guides” Presents 33 Photos of Pronghorn Conservation in USA, Mexico and Canada
- BioAmber Opens World’s Largest Bio-succinic Acid Manufacturing Facility in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada: Renewable & Greener Alternatives to Petrochemicals That are Derived from Oil, Which Can Be Used in Everyday Products Including Plastics, Food Additives & Personal Care Products
- Getting Good Exposure Online is a Challenge for Canadian Small Businesses: GoDaddy’s National Canadian Small Business Survey 2015
- Ontario Proposes ‘Protecting Condominium Owners Act’ for Canadians: No Surprise Costs for a Newly-built Condo; New Condo Authority; Financial Management Rules; Mandatory Licensing for Managers
- 2015 Intel Security Survey: 30% Sent Personal Photos to Others Via Mobile Devices & 50% Don’t Delete Personal Photos or Videos Sent to Others
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Ontario’s New Protection Plans for Sources of Water for Canadians: CTC Source & Halton-Hamilton Source: Effective Dec. 31, 2015
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine for Children Aged Two to 17 at No Cost in Ontario, Canada, Starting Oct.26, 2015
- ‘Gemini’ Chaise with Stratasys 3D Printed Acoustic Skin is Acquired by San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Which Will Open on May 14, 2016: Museum Admission at No Cost in Perpetuity for All Visitors 18 and Younger (Starting on May 14, 2016)
- Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition for Galaxy S6 Smartphone: World-first Fully Immersive Virtual Reality Storytelling “David Attenborough’s First Life” Experience at Natural History Museum, London from 19 June 2015: No Cost for Only Museum Entrance (UK)
- Fujifilm Pro Rental Service for Enthusiast & Professional Photographers: Experience a Fujifilm X-Series Camera, Lens or Kit for a Limited Time Anywhere in the U.S.A
- Olympus “Test & Wow” Program for the UK: Try Certain Olympus Cameras and Lenses for a Full 24-hour Day at No Cost (Try for FREE)
- You’re Invited: Take Home and “Test Drive” a Leica M Camera System & Two Lenses Overnight @ No Cost: Leica Store Bellevue in Washington, USA (FREE Test Drive program)
- Nova Scotian Photographers Age 50 or Older: Exhibit Your Work in the Seniors’ Art and Photo Gallery in Halifax
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission in London, UK)
- Nikon: Updated “NIKKOR & ACC” App: Now Available to Download for iPad (Version 1.1.0) / Android Tablet (Version 1.0.1) at No Cost (FREE App)
- Sony’s Touchless Shutter App Ver. 1.00 Available at No Cost for Several Sony Camera Models: Eliminate Camera Shake (FREE App)
- Intel® Security Battery Optimizer 2.0 (29 October 2015): Updated App for Android Smartphones & Tablets is Available at No Cost: To Extend Battery Life, Speed Up Your Device by Cleaning Up Memory & Storage, and Monitor Your Mobile Data Usage (FREE App)
- Stratasys’ New Recycling Program of 3D Printing Material Canisters & Cartridges for North American Customers Starts Today: Waste Disposal at No Charge (FREE disposal & recycling program)
- Samsung’s Software Development Kit (SDK) is Released: Third-party Developers are Invited to Help Build Next Samsung Wearable Prior to the Product Launch
- New Panasonic-Created Cloud Service Toolkit (CST) to Power IoT Infrastructure: CST is Available Royalty-Free for Qualifying Open-Source Projects or Paid License for Commercial Use
- Panasonic Will Share Intellectual Property to Speed Development of Internet of Things (IoT) Software & Services (Panasonic formally pledges to provide royalty-FREE access to software, patents and experience from its product ecosystem)
- Google Earth Pro is Now Available at No Cost: Interactive Imagery of Google Earth With Professional Tools for Business or Personal Use(FREE)
- Google Maps: New Street View App for Android and iOS: For the First Time You Can Tour Immersive 360-degree Imagery & Instantly Contribute Your Own to Google Maps
- Panasonic: New “NEYMAR JR. CRAZY SKILLS” Interactive Webpage at No Cost: True-to-life 3D Images of Neymar Jr.’s Superb Skills Can Be Viewed and Shared on Smartphones or Computers (FREE)
- Leica: M Magazine App is Available at No Cost & M Magazine No. 2 is Also Available: Dedicated to M Photography Via the Leica M Camera, Presenting Pictures Taken by Renowned Photographers (FREE M Magazine App)
- UrtheCast’s High-Resolution Camera on the ISS Captured & Released the World’s First Full-Color HD Videos of London, Boston and Barcelona from Space (UrtheCast Corp., the Earth Observation (EO) company, aims to open the world to anyone with an internet connection: FREE)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Samsung Canada + National Hockey League: Samsung Smartphones Offer Enhanced Personalization within Official NHL App, Exclusive Access to Branded ‘Inside the NHL Situation Room’ Videos & More
- Fujifilm: New ‘Pro Rental Service’ for Enthusiast & Professional Photographers and ‘Professional Repair Rental Program’ in USA: Effective March 16, 2015
- Nikon Canada Invites Canadian Residents to Nikon Image Space: An Online Service for Sharing Photos or Recording Memories (FREE online service for all Canadian residents to share & record images: FREE two GB of storage for everyone and Nikon camera owners get an extra FREE 18 GB of storage.)
- Fujifilm Camera Remote App (Updated: Sep. 24, 2015 Version: 1.2.0): Now Compatible With iOS9 for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch Users (FREE app)
- New NIKON IMAGE SPACE App Renewal at No Charge: Benefits Include Seeing Images Larger & Browsing Images Stored on Your Smart Device (FREE online photo sharing service + FREE renewal of smart device app for “NIKON IMAGE SPACE”)
- Canon PERSTEXT – New Version iOS App: To Design Your Photos with Text in Perspective + 12 New Filters + Enhanced Text Editing Functions: Now Available at No Cost (FREE)
- Canon’s Cloud-based Image Management Service, irista: No Cost for Up to 15GB + New Updates are Now Live (FREE 15GB of cloud storage space with full irista functionality)
- Canon Europe Acquires Lifecake – Baby Photo Timeline: A Photo-sharing App for Families to Create Photo & Video Timelines (Lifecake is available FREE for iPhone, iPad and Android)
- Canon Releases English-version PERSTEXT App for iOS for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch @ No Cost: Photo Editing to Insert Text with a Sense of Perspective to Saved Photos
- You’re Invited to the New Leica Fotopark: A Photo Platform for Passionate Photographers to Discover, Exchange, Organise, Create [Registration on www.leica-fotopark is FREE, as is the use of the platform for data volumes of up to ten gigabytes (GB)]
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Nikon’s New Download Center for Nikon Digital Cameras & Related Products: Offers Software & Manuals in 43 Languages
- Nikon: New NIKKOR Motion Gallery Series Features Short Films as New Possibilities of Video Imaging Through NIKKOR Lenses & Nikon Cameras
- Olympus: New Underwater Photo Gallery Showcases “The Beauty Below”: Fascinating Photographs of Underwater Wonders in Vivid Colours with Exquisite Details
- Sony Alpha Cameras: New “α Universe” Community Website to Engage, Empower and Inspire Photo & Video Enthusiasts
- Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors’ #FutureofCities: You’re Invited to Share Photos from Your Changing Cities
- Sony Imaging PRO Support at No Charge for Certain Professional Photographers Using α Camera Equipment in Germany: Effective Apr.1, 2015: Submit Applications Now
- National Gallery of Canada and Imperial War Museums Ask You to Share Online Family Photos of World War 1
- Panasonic’s Medical Delivery Robot “HOSPI” in the “Center for Advanced Medical Robotics” in Thailand
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012