This is an update to the previous blog, Invite: Green Events in Canada Sept.22-Oct.24 + Walk A Mile in Her Shoes®Toronto Sept.26, 2013.
Nature Conservancy of Canada
Why Forests Matter
Live webcast: www.natureconservancy.ca/events
September 25, 2013
Today, September 25, the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) will be hosting a special event – Why Forests Matter – in celebration of National Forest Week.
- The event will feature a panel of multidisciplinary speakers discussing the state of forests, their influence on society and why they matter.
- The event is taking place at the Art Gallery of Ontario, in Toronto.
- You don’t need to be in Toronto to be a part of this event! The talks will be live-streamed on NCC’s website.
“You can join the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag #forestsmatter, if you’re so inclined. It is our hope that the conversation will continue past the event, and even more Canadians will be engaged in the conservation of Canada’s forests.“
Speakers and topics are as follows.
- Sophia Rabliauskas, Spokesperson for the Pimachiowin Aki, Poplar River First Nation member.
- Topic: The Proposed Pimachiowin Aki World Heritage Site…The land that gives life.
- Diana Thorneycroft, Canadian artist, Group of Seven Awkward Moments.
- Topic: Growing up in the Black Forest.
- Ian Gray, Senior Landscape Architect, MMM Group Limited.
- Topic: Wicked Forests.
- Carla Grant, Executive Director, Ontario Forestry Association.
- Topic: Your Daily Connection to the Forest.
- Charles Spearin, Juno award winning Canadian musician, The Happiness Project, founding member of Broken Social Scene and Do Make Say Think.
- Topic: The Sounds Within a Forest and Without.
- Karen Clarke-Whistler – Chief Environment Officer, TD Bank Group.
- Topic: Forest Conservation – The Role of the Private Sector.
- Dan Kraus, Conservation Science Manager, Nature Conservancy of Canada.
- Topic: The Tree that Changed the World.
- Rachel Giese – Senior Editor, The Walrus.
- The discussion host.
Do you have a question for the panelists? Please send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click here for more info about the live webcast and the speakers.
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Sponsored Video: World-Changing Dreamers (IF WE Challenge) – Teaser (This is a social conversation contest. Enter the contest for a chance to win prize values up to $12,000, including a trip to Paris! The Contest is open from September 16 to October 28, 2013 inclusive. Please check the important contest rules.)
- Life on the Grid Exhibit: 100 Years of Toronto Street Photography (Exhibit continues to May 2014 from Monday to Friday; Exhibit on Saturdays: from October 19, 2013 – April 12, 2014)
- McAfee LiveSafe is Now Available: Cross-Device Security Service with Facial and Voice Recognition Technology for Consumer Devices
- McAfee Mobile Innovations App’s Smart Perimeter is Available: Alerts Users of Theft or Loss of Mobile Devices
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Your Input: Use of Jets at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (Town Hall Meeting – Postponed to Sept.19, 2013) + Communities’ Cultural Infrastructure (14 Ward-Based Meetings from September 16 to October 30, 2013)
- You’re Invited: Great Canadian Events in Ontario Sept.7-Oct.31; Toronto Road Closures Sept 7-8, 2013
- Toronto’s Market Gallery Face To Place Exhibition (FREE Admission; Sept. 21 – Oct. 19, 2013; Opening Reception & Fundraiser Sept.21)
- Torontonians May Apply for Vacant Office of Councillor Ward 3 Etobicoke Centre by Noon Sept.26, 2013
- Yonge St. Closures Aug.23–May 2014 + Your Input on Canada & USA Joint Actions on Trade in Plants (by September 27, 2013)
- World Press Photo 13 Exhibition in Toronto, Canada (FREE Admission: October 1 – 21, 2013)
- You’re Invited: Toronto’s Great Events May 18 – 21 and Victoria Day May 20, 2013 (Heritage Toronto Tours April – October 2013)
- You’re Invited: Spring & Green Events in Ontario May 10 – 12, 2013 (ROMwalks May 1, 2013 – October 20, 2013)
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- You’re Invited: Great Events in Ontario July 20-26 + TTC Alerts Jul.20-21 + Toronto Road Closures Jul.20-Dec.2013
- Toronto Alert: Poster on Public Property Bylaw, Downsview Station Closed June 29, TTC Ride Guide Photo Contest by July 4 at 11:59 p.m.
- Feeling Congested? Meetings; Dufferin St.Bridge Closed to Vehicles From Jun.12; Avenue Rd Work Jun.10-Sept.15, 2013
- No TTC Streetcars on Kingston Rd. Jun.3-Dec.+ Real Time Info Signs on Gardiner Expy & Lake Shore Blvd Jun.2013
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- McAfee & Intel Offer New Digital Life Protection Service in Beta to Partners Now & Its Consumer Version in Mid-2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Ontario Proposes Regulations to Limit Access to Generic OxyContin: Your Comments Before Dec.24, 2012 at 5 P.M. EST
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians