The following video presents “US Proposes Establishing World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary.”
- “President Barack Obama recently proposed that the US establish the world’s largest marine sanctuary.
- An area in the Pacific Ocean that lies between American Samoa and Hawaii has been selected, but specific boundaries have not been decided upon.
- The proposed area would reportedly be adjacent to several U.S. controlled territories, and include 200 nautical miles of surrounding waters.
- Under Obama’s plan that sanctuary would be expanded to include about three-quarters of million miles of ocean off limits to fishing, drilling and other activities that put the habitat in peril.
- Before the expansion can be made official, the proposal must go through a period of review during which time the public can make comments.
- Both the Department of Commerce and Department of the Interior will also conduct research into the plan to get a big picture of how closing the area to fishing will affect commercial activity.
- At this time, about 3 percent of tuna legally caught by the US fishing industry comes from the central and western Pacific Ocean.”
Above, centre, is the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument. Image by National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
“The White House’s Council on Environmental Quality said the waters in the south-central Pacific Ocean contain “some of the most pristine tropical marine environments in the world.
These tropical coral reefs and associated marine ecosystems are also among the most vulnerable areas to the impacts of climate change and ocean acidification,” the White House said in a statement.”
In the following letter, the Avaaz team is asking for our help to:
- urge and support US President Obama to create the world’s largest marine sanctuary,
- empower him to counter opposition,
- help save our oceans for generations to come, and
- please sign this urgent petition below and share it with everyone you know– let’s deliver one million voices before the official consultation closes in days: August 11th.
- At the present time of this blog posting, 258,695 people have signed.
- Please help us get to 1,000,000 signatures.
|In days, US President Obama could create the world’s largest marine sanctuary, but a powerful fishing lobby is trying to stop this ocean-saving plan. Let’s build a tidal wave of support before it’s too late and deliver it straight into the White House. Sign now to create an Ocean of Hope, and tell everyone!
Right now, the US government is receiving public comments on whether or not to create the world’s largest Marine Protected Area in the Pacific Ocean. But President Obama is under enormous pressure from a powerful fishing lobby to water down the plan.
We can’t let that happen — majestic whales, turtles and fish stocks are all disappearing. Scientists say the best way to save our oceans is to protect large swaths from exploitation so that marine life can recover. Four years ago, we played a pivotal role persuading the UK government to create a massive marine sanctuary in the Indian Ocean, and the UK Foreign Ministry cited our campaign in its announcement. Now, if we all speak out, we can create a reserve the size of Mexico!
If we send Obama a tidal wave of global public support now, we will empower him to counter opposition and help save our oceans for generations to come. Sign the petition below and tell everyone — let’s deliver one million voices before the official consultation closes in days:
Read more of Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014