This video presents “Put Food in the Budget”:
- “Do the Math is part of the Put Food in the Budget campaign in OntarioOK
- Currently a single person on social assistance gets $585 per month to cover housing, food, transport, and everything else”
- “As I found out taking the Do the Math challenge, this amount is not enough for to cover a healthy food supply and forces those in need to find a different food bank sources for day to day“
- “Do the Math yourself and advocate to Put Food In the Budget with an extra $100 increase in social assistance to support healthy food choices”
In the following letter, Put Food in the Budget urges us to:
- Please call Premier Kathleen Wynne at 416-325-1941 and tell her to immediately increase the base rate of Ontario Works by $100 a month – and to not cut the special diet allowance
- As well, please contact MPPs in your local ridings to encourage them to support the $100 base rate increase
Will Premier Wynne follow through on her promise and be the social justice Premier of Ontario?
Premier Wynne will need to follow up the speech from the throne with specific announcements if she is to begin to fulfill her promise to be the social justice premier of Ontario. Premier Wynne must immediately announce
- An increase in the base rate of Ontario Works of $100 a month
- An increase in the earnings exemption from $ 100 to $ 200 per month
- An increase in the allowable asset levels for people receiving social assistance
- A commitment to not cut or replace any of the current benefits – such as special diet allowance or ODSP work related benefit – until there is a phased in strategy that ensures the implementation of changes does not lower the income of any current recipients
Social justice occurs when wealth is re-distributed from the wealthy to the poor. It will not be an act of social justice if Premier Wynne takes money from one group of poor people (people who rely on the special diet allowance) to give it to another group of poor people (singles who currently receive the completely inadequate monthly allowance of $606).
If Premier Wynne cuts the special diet allowance she will fail in her promise to be the social justice premier of Ontario.
The Put Food in the Budget campaign believes every person in Ontario has a right to an income that ensures a person can live a life of health and dignity.
If you agree with the demands of the Put Food in the Budget campaign, please call Premier Kathleen Wynne at 416-325-1941 and tell her to immediately increase the base rate of Ontario Works by $100 a month – and to not cut the special diet allowance. As well, please contact MPPs in your local ridings to encourage them to support the $100 base rate increase.
Spokesperson, Put Food in the Budget campaign
You may also want to know:
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- You’re Invited to Women’s Day Celebration in Toronto: “Gaining Momentum: Women and Technology” Event Mar.11, 2013
- You’re Invited: Toronto’s Chief Planner Roundtable Series on City Building Themes Feb.26, Mar.5 & Apr. 2, 2013
- Toronto’s Draft City-Wide Zoning Bylaw: Rescheduled Open House (Feb.27) & Statutory Public Meeting (Mar.6, 2013)
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- Quebec Calling for Social Economy Projects in Metropolitan Area of Montreal: Apply for 2013-2014 FIRM Funding
- You’re Invited: More Special Events in Toronto January 2013 (The Intoxication Exhibition’s last date is April 10, 2013)
- McAfee & Intel Offer New Digital Life Protection Service in Beta to Partners Now & Its Consumer Version in Mid-2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- McAfee Threats Report: Third Quarter 2012 Reveals Cybercrime Techniques & Global Expansion of Cybercrime
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Toronto Tests Sidewalk Surfaces + Part of Bloor-Danforth Subway to Close Dec.1-2, 2012 & Other TTC News
- Ontario Proposes Regulations to Limit Access to Generic OxyContin: Your Comments Before Dec.24, 2012 at 5 P.M. EST
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians
- Gentec Announces Canadian Distribution of the ION Air Pro™Camera that Crossed Niagara Falls with Nik Wallenda