This video presents “Ontario Coalition Against Poverty Protests” in Ontario, Canada:
- “30 000 protesters gathered to protest liberal policies at a rally organized by the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty“
- Jannen Belbeck reports”
- This video was originally posted on the Ryersonian.ca website
Check it out there for an article and a story about the protest as well: http://www.ryersonian.ca/article/26105/
In the following letter, both Poverty Free Ontario and Put Food in the Budget is asking for our help:
- to urge our political leaders to keep their word to address poverty:
In 2009, all three Ontario political parties voted for legislation to reduce poverty
- “now that the Ontario Budget has been set for May 2, 2013, we have only a few more days to make our voices heard:
Please send a letter to your MPP with copies to the Premier Kathleen Wynne and Opposition Leaders Tim Hudak, and Andrea Horwath via the following link urging Ontario Budget as the 2013 Ontario provincial budget negotiation process unfolds:
Inequality is taking a deeper hold in Ontario, despite a promise by our political leaders to address poverty.
I am writing to invite you to urge our political leaders to keep their word.
The minimum wage, social assistance rates, and other measures intended to lift Ontarians out of poverty have all fallen farther and farther behind. Despite growing wealth in our Province, it is harder than it was five years ago, ten years ago, even twenty years ago for the poorest residents of our province to pay the rent, keep food on the table, and afford even the most basic necessities.
In 2009, all three Ontario political parties voted for legislation to reduce poverty – but things are getting worse. The minimum wage has been frozen for the last three years, eroded by inflation. Social assistance has not kept pace with the cost of living. Today, a single person on welfare receives $606 a month – nowhere near enough to pay the rent and put food on the table.
Right now, there is a window of opportunity to turn that around. At Queen’s Park, all three parties are negotiating what should be in the 2013 Ontario budget – being released in April. This is our chance to tell Kathleen Wynne, Tim Hudak, and Andrea Horwath to live up to their commitment to begin to end poverty in Ontario by taking decisive action.
Poverty is tearing at the very fabric of our province, undermining the quality of life for all.
You can make a difference. Please act right now.
Please take action now
Poverty Free Ontario
Put Food in the Budget
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3 “
You may also want to know:
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Syngenta Photography Award’s Finalists: Winners’ Announcement May 15 + Exhibition at Somerset House May 17-21, 2013
- “Around The World in 9 Days With Tiny Collective:A Touring Instant Lab Mobile Photography Exhibition”Jun.20-28,2013
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Toronto’s Public Consultations on New Arts and Culture Funding: Apr.9 &18 + Online Survey Until Apr.30, 2013
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- Please note the Cancellation of the following TTC subway track work this weekend (April 20-21)
No TTC Subway Service: Between Union & St Clair West Stations Apr.20 + St George & Downsview Stations Apr.21, 2013
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- Quebec Calling for Social Economy Projects in Metropolitan Area of Montreal: Apply for 2013-2014 FIRM Funding
- Your Input is Wanted: Toronto’s Downtown Transportation Operations Study for All User Groups March 27, 2013
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- You’re Invited to Women’s Day Celebration in Toronto: “Gaining Momentum: Women and Technology” Event Mar.11, 2013
- McAfee & Intel Offer New Digital Life Protection Service in Beta to Partners Now & Its Consumer Version in Mid-2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- McAfee Threats Report: Third Quarter 2012 Reveals Cybercrime Techniques & Global Expansion of Cybercrime
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Toronto Tests Sidewalk Surfaces + Part of Bloor-Danforth Subway to Close Dec.1-2, 2012 & Other TTC News
- Ontario Proposes Regulations to Limit Access to Generic OxyContin: Your Comments Before Dec.24, 2012 at 5 P.M. EST
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians
- Gentec Announces Canadian Distribution of the ION Air Pro™Camera that Crossed Niagara Falls with Nik Wallenda