This is an update to my previous blogs:
- Please Urge Your MP to Attend National Conversation on Canadian Poverty in Ottawa Feb.14, 2012 (New Date)
Dignity for All campaign team informs today that you can:
Watch via Live-Stream Online…“What’s Next? How do we Address Poverty in Canada?”
“On Tuesday February 14th, Members of Parliament, civil society, and community members will gather at the Government Conference Centre in Ottawa for an important dialogue on solutions to poverty in Canada.
In an effort to engage Dignity for All supporters and the broader public in this conversation, the event will be available via live-stream on the Dignity website from 5:30pm – 7pm Eastern time: http://dignityforall.ca?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Dignity%20for%20All%20bulletin
Moderated by Globe and Mail Ottawa Bureau Chief John Ibbitson, the event will feature the following panel, including parliamentarians from all political parties:
- Jean Crowder, Member of Parliament (Nanaimo –Cowichan) (NDP)
- Rodger Cuzner, Member of Parliament (Cape Breton –Canso) (Liberal)
- Leilani Farha, Dignity for All
- Jean-François Fortin, Member of Parliament / député (Haute-Gaspésie—La Mitis—Matane—Matapédia) (Bloc Québécois)
- Elizabeth May, Member of Parliament (Saanich–Gulf Islands) (Green Party)
- Harriett McLachlan, Canada Without Poverty
- Hon. Don Meredith, Senator (Conservative)
The discussion will build on the points of common interest and consensus that are highlighted in the 2010 report from the House of Commons Standing Committee on Human Resources, Skills and Social Development and the Status of Persons with Disabilities (HUMA), and 2009 Senate report “In from the Margins”. To start the evening, awards will be given to parliamentarians responsible for these comprehensive reports to honour the extensive community consultation process and their personal commitment to poverty elimination.
Join the 150 people registered to attend the event and tune in on your computer to learn about the critical next steps for action that the federal government needs to take to end poverty.
We can take action to end poverty in Canada!”
You may also want to know:
- “Billions for Business, Pennies for the Poor”: Please Petition Premier McGuinty to Give a $100 Increase to Canadians’ OW and ODSP
- Vote For Your Favourite Video: Working Canadians Getting Less While Corporations Getting More Than They Deserve!