This video presents “End Fossil Fuel Subsidies”:
- People from all around the world have converged at the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, Rio+20
- to call on governments to end fossil fuel subsidies.
- Speak Your Mind explores the reasons why, the impact that has been had and how you can participate:
- save the Rio Earth summit by re-opening talks to end fossil fuel subsidies
- “The text that negotiators have agreed to has no commitments, timelines, or enforcement mechanisms, just an “invitation” for countries to end polluter handouts.
- It’s too weak to stop the nearly one trillion dollars governments give to dirty coal, oil and gas each year.
- save the Rio Earth Summit and the planet by delivering a real deal to end fossil fuel subsidies
Please sign this urgent petition now and forward to everyone:
- at the time of this blog posting, 219,844 have signed the petition
- please help us reach 500,000 signers
- at 500,000 signers, Avaaz will deliver it straight to Dilma’s hands and run an urgent, hard-hitting ad in the Financial Times”:
Over a million people have called on world leaders to end fossil fuel subsidies at the Rio Earth Summit — a no-brainer policy that could take one trillion tax dollars from Big Oil and reinvest it in green energy. But they’ve failed to deliver — even with the backing of the EU, the US and most G20 countries! The talks end in 48 hours. Now is our chance to save them and the planet’s future.
Brazil’s Dilma is hosting the summit and has the power to reopen discussions and demand a timeline for ending polluter payouts, but she is considering walking away with the weak language presented by a team of bureaucrats. We can stop her in her tracks.
Dilma has 2 days to emerge as a global climate hero. Sign this urgent petition now and forward to everyone — at 500,000 signers, Avaaz will deliver it straight to Dilma’s hands and run an urgent, hard-hitting ad in the Financial Times:
We can win this — in the last 2 weeks, we’ve already made huge strides to set the stage for an end to fossil fuel subsidies. Together, we’ve:
- Unfurled giant trillion dollars bills on beaches in Rio and in Los Cabos that garnered the attention of major media across the globe and delivered a 1 million strong call to end harmful polluter subsidies. All the while supporting 350.org’s 24 hour “twitter storm” which made #endfossilfuelsubsidies the number one trending topic.
- Delivered a petition with over 750,000 signers directly to UK Prime Minister Cameron and the Mexican chair of the G20 summit.
- Massively impacted the vote in a UN poll — making fossil fuel subsidies the top priority for the Earth Summit. We won with over 66% of the vote!
- Flooded the Mexican and New Zealand environment ministers with messages calling on them to push for an end to polluter payouts.
- And our team on the ground in Rio and Los Cabos tirelessly lobbied politicians — attending dozens of meetings with high level officials from key countries.
Now, with the outcome of Rio sitting a knife edge, we have one final strategy to make sure we win! Saudi Arabia and Venezuela have persuaded some of the most climate vulnerable countries in the world to back their pro-oil position — playing off deep division between the global north and the global south. Many of these nations support ending fossil fuel subsidies in principle, but after years of broken promises from Europe and the US don’t trust siding with them on a deal. The world needs new leadership to bridge the trust gap, and Brazil’s President Dilma is the perfect broker.
With the media already reporting a Rio failure, let’s give Dilma the perfect solution to turn the talks around — a clear and timely end to fossil fuel subsidies. We only have 72 hours — click below to sign:
The momentum to end fossil fuel subsidies is building. Over 1 million of us signed petitions calling for action, from Rio and Delhi to London and Sydney. As we enter the 11th hour of the Rio Earth Summit, let’s continue to push until we win!
Iain, Antonia, Jamie, Emma, Ricken, Diego, Pedro and the rest of the Avaaz team”
UN environment haggle runs into problems ahead of summit (France 24):
Rio+20: anger and dismay at weakened draft agreement (The Guardian)
#EndingFossilFuelSubsidies in Pictures, Video & Tweets: Why Rio+20 Needs to Act (Huffington Post)
G20 Fossil Fuel Protest Video (Reuters):
Activists hail success of Twitterstorm (The Guardian)
Update on #EndFossilFuelSubsidies Proposals at Rio+20 (350.org Blog)
Negotiations text “an epic failure” (Greenpeace)
Latest text of the Rio+20 conference
You may also want to know:
- McAfee Alert: One in Every Six Personal Computers – Zero Protection; Canada is 7th Least Protected Country
- You’re Invited: Interactive Aquarium Exhibit (Jun.16-Aug.31) & Animation Workshops-July & August 2012
- TTC 2012: More Popular Routes’ Services-Starts May 6; No Subway Service Between Warden & Kennedy-May 12-13; LRT Update