Gros Morne National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site treasure on the island of Newfoundland, Canada.
- Gros Morne National Park of Canada was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987, for the following highlights.
- Please click here to see the video about Gros Morne National Park, which showcases the “spectacularly raw and enigmatic beauty of an exotic and ancient physical environment, unlike any other location on earth. Its a place where you not only discover a new world, but a little piece of yourself along the way.“
- “Gros Morne National Park protects 1,805 square kilometres of western Newfoundland’s coastal lowlands and towering Long Range Mountains.
- The park is world-renowned for its geological features and its pristine natural beauty.
- Gros Morne encircles several small communities, and includes highland and lowland forests, huge freshwater fjords, hundreds of lakes and ponds, extensive bogs, rock barrens, towering cliffs, and rugged coastline.
- Visitors can hike through wild, uninhabited mountains or camp by the sea, or boat between the 700 metre-high cliffs of a freshwater fjord carved out by glaciers.
- Beautiful waterfalls, marine inlets, sea stacks, sandy beaches, and colourful nearby fishing villages complete the phenomenal natural and cultural surroundings of Gros Morne National Park of Canada.“
However, there is an immediate threat to Gros Morne. Exploratory drilling, “fracking” for oil and industrialization is being proposed metres from the park.
- Oil drilling and fracking are being proposed right beside Gros Morne National Park.
- Fracking could contaminate local air, water and soil, create constant noise and heavy truck traffic, and harm wildlife and people.
- “Although there will be no drilling on park land, drill sites are planned within metres of the park boundary in communities within and around the national park.
- Potential threats to the park include
- the contamination of huge amounts of water required by the fracking process,
- the injection of toxic chemicals deep into the ground with the potential for groundwater or marine contamination,
- intense trucking activities on park roads,
- the flaring of waste natural gas,
- and the noise, smell, and industrial activity of an intensive drilling operation.
- Industrializing the Gros Morne coastline would not only threaten the remarkable ecosystems of this World Heritage Site, it would threaten the vital regional and provincial tourism economy which relies on the pristine natural beauty of Gros Morne’s coast and mountains to attract visitors from across Canada and around the world.“
The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) is already working with concerned local citizens in an effort to prevent this.
- In the following letter, CPAWS is asking for our help to:
- protect its pristine natural beauty that it’s recognized for internationally;
- urge governments to keep the park and surrounding area free of oil drilling and fracking; and
- please click on the “Send a letter now!” button below to send a message to Canada’s Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, and Newfoundland and Labrador’s Premier Kathy Dunderdale, to let them know what you think!
“Gros Morne National Park, one of Canada’s treasures, is under threat.
YOU can help!
Gros Morne National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site treasure on the island of Newfoundland. Its striking scenery and geology attracts thousands of visitors from around the world. However, proposed oil exploration metres from the park boundary is threatening Gros Morne’s future.
Send a letter now!
Right now, the park is threatened by an oil company proposal to drill a series of exploration wells along the west coast of Newfoundland, using hydraulic fracturing (fracking) to extract oil. The toxic chemicals from the fracking process may contaminate the water, air and soil. This industrial activity, including heavy truck traffic, would also put the region’s sustainable tourism industry at risk.
We don’t want to see our beloved Gros Morne turned into an industrialized landscape. We want to protect its pristine natural beauty that it’s recognized for internationally. CPAWS and concerned local citizens are urging governments to keep the park and surrounding area free of oil drilling and fracking.
Your voice is needed to save Gros Morne. Take a moment to send a message to Canada’s Prime Minister and Newfoundland and Labrador’s Premier to let them know what you think!
Thanks to generous supporters like you, we’re able to launch this campaign today.For more details, click here.“
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- “75 Years in Photos!” Photo Contest: Theme is Gatineau Park in Quebec, Canada Before Aug.2, 2013 at Midnight (EDT)
- PocketWizard® Plus® III Radios’ Online Auction Until May 17 (07:33:27 PDT): Fundraiser for Breast Cancer Community (A limited edition of G-Wiz Squared gadget bags in the same Tutu Pink color will be available for purchase in limited quantities at the Carey Foundation website beginning in June, 2013 to support cancer patients)
- McAfee LiveSafe is Now Available: Cross-Device Security Service with Facial and Voice Recognition Technology for Consumer Devices
- McAfee Quarterly Threat Report 2013: Significant Increases in Social Media Worm, Spam and Targeted Threats
- McAfee Mobile Innovations App’s Smart Perimeter is Available: Alerts Users of Theft or Loss of Mobile Devices
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- You’re Invited: Great Events in Ontario July 20-26 + TTC Alerts Jul.20-21 + Toronto Road Closures Jul.20-Dec.2013
- Toronto’s Flood Cleanup Alert: Get Free Permits for the Placement of Private Disposal Bins within the Public Right of Way July 17-31, 2013
- You’re Invited: Ontario’s Licence-Free Fishing Week, Toronto Events July 5-Sept.19, TTC Alert + Road Closures July 5-7, 2013
- Toronto Alert: Poster on Public Property Bylaw, Downsview Station Closed June 29, TTC Ride Guide Photo Contest by July 4 at 11:59 p.m.
- You’re Invited: Meeting on Options for Cycle Tracks on Certain Streets + Toronto Events + Road Closures June 22-Dec.2013 (“Adopt a cat during City of Toronto’s Feline Fiesta” event has been extended to July 20, 2013.)
- Toronto: Eglinton Connects Survey Until Jun.14, Safety Open Houses Jun.10-13, Cultural Spaces Meetings Jun-Jul.2013
- Feeling Congested? Meetings; Dufferin St.Bridge Closed to Vehicles From Jun.12; Avenue Rd Work Jun.10-Sept.15, 2013
- Invite: S.P.O.T. Opens Jun.5; Aboriginal Culture; ‘Post-Oil City:The History of the City’s Future’ Ends July31,2013
- You’re Invited: Celebratory Events in Toronto June 2013 (Bike Works DIY Bike Repairs – Saturdays and Sundays throughout the summer)
- You’re Invited: Toronto’s Great Events May 18 – 21 and Victoria Day May 20, 2013 (Heritage Toronto Tours April – October 2013)
- You’re Invited: Spring & Green Events in Ontario May 10 – 12, 2013 (ROMwalks May 1, 2013 – October 20, 2013)
- No TTC Streetcars on Kingston Rd. Jun.3-Dec.+ Real Time Info Signs on Gardiner Expy & Lake Shore Blvd Jun.2013
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- McAfee & Intel Offer New Digital Life Protection Service in Beta to Partners Now & Its Consumer Version in Mid-2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Ontario Proposes Regulations to Limit Access to Generic OxyContin: Your Comments Before Dec.24, 2012 at 5 P.M. EST
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians