East End Poetry Festival
Saturday September 28, 12 – 4 pm
At Children’s Peace Theatre, 305 Dawes Road, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- An afternoon of superb poetry featuring Poet Laureate of Toronto George Elliott Clarke with Katie Marshall Flaherty, Ronna Bloom and Rocco de Giacomo
- Other highlights include
- the Emily Steinwall Quartet,
- an all-ages spoken word workshop with RISE Poetry’s Randell Adjei,
- special children’s activities, and
- Food by Grillies.
- “Rain or Shine and its all FREE!“
- Please click here for more info.
City of Toronto Contact Info
Phone within Toronto city limits: 311.
Phone outside city limits: 416-392-CITY (2489)
(can be used within Toronto if you can’t reach 311).
TTY customers: 416-338-0TTY (0889)
If your matter is urgent, please call them. They are open 24/7.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
September 3, 2013
Toronto’s Poet Laureate appointed a Harvard University professor
Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts has appointed City of Toronto Poet Laureate George Elliott Clarke to a teaching position in the university’s Canada Program. Clarke will begin his position as the Canada Program’s William Lyon Mackenzie King Visiting Professor of Canadian Studies this month.
Clarke, who was appointed through Harvard’s English department, will teach two courses based on African-Canadian literature and international Black poetry. He will also chair the Canada Seminar, which organizes presentations and discussions with public figures, scholars, artists and experts in various fields.
“This appointment by one of the world’s most respected universities is an exceptional opportunity for the Poet Laureate to enhance his, and the City of Toronto’s, international profile,” said Councillor Michael Thompson (Ward 37 Scarborough Centre), Chair of the City’s Economic Development Committee. “He will also remain active in Toronto’s literary community as our city’s Poet Laureate during his time at Harvard.”
On September 28, Clarke will kick off what he hopes will be an annual event – the East End Poetry Festival at Children’s Peace Theatre, 305 Dawes Rd. The event will feature poets Katie Marshall Flaherty, Ronna Bloom and Rocco de Giacomo, along with a spoken-word workshop led by RISE Poetry’s Randell Adjei, in addition to family activities.
This appointment continues Clarke’s academic career, which has also seen him appointed the inaugural E. J. Pratt Professor of Canadian Literature at the University of Toronto. He has previously taught at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina and McGill University in Montreal.
Clarke, a Toronto-based poet, dramatist, novelist and professor, was appointed by City Council in November 2012 as Toronto’s fourth Poet Laureate. In addition to the many awards and accolades Clarke has received, his dedication to education and his tremendous support of Canadian writers and the literary community has been nationally recognized by his appointment as an Officer of the Order of Canada.
More information about Toronto’s Poet Laureate is available at http://www.toronto.ca/culture/poet_laureate.htm.
More information about the Canada Program is available at http://programs.wcfia.harvard.edu/canada_program.
Toronto is Canada’s largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Toronto’s government is dedicated to delivering customer service excellence, creating a transparent and accountable government, reducing the size and cost of government and building a transportation city. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can dial 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Fujifilm: “Reflections” Photo Contest (August 14, at 12:01AM to September 14 at 11:00PM, 2013)
- Panasonic LUMIX Changing Photography Student Contest (Phase 1 Deadline: September 20, 2013)
- Life on the Grid Exhibit: 100 Years of Toronto Street Photography (Exhibit continues to May 2014 from Monday to Friday; Exhibit on Saturdays: from October 19, 2013 – April 12, 2014)
- McAfee LiveSafe is Now Available: Cross-Device Security Service with Facial and Voice Recognition Technology for Consumer Devices
- McAfee Mobile Innovations App’s Smart Perimeter is Available: Alerts Users of Theft or Loss of Mobile Devices
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Your Input: Use of Jets at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (Town Hall Meeting – September 12, 2013) + Communities’ Cultural Infrastructure (14 Ward-Based Meetings from September 16 to October 30, 2013)
- You’re Invited: Ontario’s Licence-Free Fishing Week, Toronto Events July 5-Sept.19, TTC Alert + Road Closures July 5-7, 2013
- Invite: Toronto Events 2013-2014; Calls to Artists & Environmental Activists (Deadline: September 16, 2013 – 12:00pm EST); Toronto Alerts
- Invite: Opening of Concord Thornhill Regional Park Artificial Turf Senior Soccer Field Sept.16, 2013
- Torontonians May Apply for Vacant Office of Councillor Ward 3 Etobicoke Centre by Noon Sept.26, 2013
- Yonge St. Closures Aug.23–May 2014 + Your Input on Canada & USA Joint Actions on Trade in Plants (by September 27, 2013)
- You’re Invited: Toronto’s Great Events May 18 – 21 and Victoria Day May 20, 2013 (Heritage Toronto Tours April – October 2013)
- You’re Invited: Spring & Green Events in Ontario May 10 – 12, 2013 (ROMwalks May 1, 2013 – October 20, 2013)
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- Toronto CNE Food-Borne Illnesses: Cause is Contaminated Maple Bacon Jam Topping on The Cronut Burger
- You’re Invited: Great Events in Ontario July 20-26 + TTC Alerts Jul.20-21 + Toronto Road Closures Jul.20-Dec.2013
- Toronto Alert: Poster on Public Property Bylaw, Downsview Station Closed June 29, TTC Ride Guide Photo Contest by July 4 at 11:59 p.m.
- Feeling Congested? Meetings; Dufferin St.Bridge Closed to Vehicles From Jun.12; Avenue Rd Work Jun.10-Sept.15, 2013
- No TTC Streetcars on Kingston Rd. Jun.3-Dec.+ Real Time Info Signs on Gardiner Expy & Lake Shore Blvd Jun.2013
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- McAfee & Intel Offer New Digital Life Protection Service in Beta to Partners Now & Its Consumer Version in Mid-2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Ontario Proposes Regulations to Limit Access to Generic OxyContin: Your Comments Before Dec.24, 2012 at 5 P.M. EST
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians