This video presents Water Facts.
Fujifilm has established the internal guideline for the calculation of its water footprint (*1) for quantitatively assessing the amount of water consumed throughout a product’s lifecycle from procurement / manufacturing to sales and disposal.
“Fujifilm will make use of this guideline to promote worldwide “visualization” of the environmental impact with respect to water resources over the lifecycle of products. The company will carry out environmentally-conscious product development, including material procurement by considering “water stressed areas” (*3), promoting proactive initiatives on the sustainable use and protection of limited water resources.“
Fujifilm establishes the guideline for the calculation of its water footprint
December 5, 2014
Fujifilm Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) has established the internal guideline for the calculation of its water footprint (*1) for quantitatively assessing the amount of water consumed throughout a product’s lifecycle from procurement / manufacturing to sales and disposal. The move complements the existing efforts to mitigate CO2 emissions, and reflects the company’s active initiative for environmentally-conscious product development, impact assessment and information disclosure in respect to water resources.
In recent years, the world has been experiencing, with increasing severity, water shortages and concerns around water pollution. Europe is moving towards including the issue of water resource depletion in the Environmental Footprint (*2), a set of pilot guidelines for assessing the environmental impacts of product over their lifecycle. With an international standard (ISO) on the environmental impact calculation method for water to be released in early 2015, there is a global demand for impact assessment and information disclosure with respect to water resources.
Supporting this social trend early on, Fujifilm began exploring methods for calculating water footprint precociously, and has compiled its findings into this guideline.
Fujifilm applies the “Design for Environment” rule when designing and developing all products. It quantitatively and objectively assesses the environmental impact for CO2 emissions throughout each product’s lifecycle. This guideline for the calculation of water footprint sets out the approach and specific methodology for calculating the amount of water consumption over the product’s lifecycle, based on the procedure for calculating CO2 lifecycle assessment as defined in the “Design for Environment” rule. It encompasses not only “quantity” but also “quality” of water (pollution level), which will be clarified in the process of international standardization. The new guideline incorporates specific cases of products and services, making it easy for product developers to adopt the guideline.
Fujifilm will make use of this guideline to promote worldwide “visualization” of the environmental impact with respect to water resources over the lifecycle of products. The company will carry out environmentally-conscious product development, including material procurement by considering “water stressed areas” (*3), promoting proactive initiatives on the sustainable use and protection of limited water resources.
The Fujifilm Group launched the mid-term CSR program “Sustainable Value Plan 2016” in FY2014, outlining business goals for resolving social issues, with the aim of contributing to “sustainable social development”. Defining “response to water issues” and “securing water resources” as important social issues, the plan lists the goals of “reducing and the restriction of water pollution through the development of highly functional materials” and “maintaining unit water consumption (amount of water used per sales) at the FY2013 level”. In order to achieve these goals, the company will utilize the new guideline and promote environmentally-conscious product development in terms of water resources, making active contribution to the sustainable development of society, which is the most important challenge the Earth faces in the 21st century.
(*1) Water footprint
Method of calculating water consumption throughout product lifecycle from procurement / manufacturing to sales / disposal, in order to quantify environmental impacts associated with water resources
(*2) Environmental footprint
Method of quantifying 14 types of environmental impacts such as CO2 emission and water resource depletion throughout the lifecycle of products, services and organizational activities; currently being explored by the European Commission
(*3) Water stressed areas
Countries and regions where the per-capita annual water supplies available for agriculture, industrial activities and living are below 1,700m³
For any queries on information in this press release, consumer contact:
CSR Promotion Office, Ecology and Quality Management Division
TEL: +81 3-6271-2064
You may also want to know:
- Panasonic: Send in Your Solar Lantern’s Designs by Jan.31, 2015 for “Cut Out the Darkness”- Indonesia
- Make Poverty History: Canadians, Please Add Your Voices to the Call for a Federal Anti-Poverty Plan Now
- Caledon Institute of Social Policy Releases a New Report on Welfare Incomes: “Welfare in Canada 2013″
- You’re Invited: Equity Literacy Forum- Towards a Classism Reduction Strategy for Ontario Oct.29, 2014
- Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014
- New “Pronghorn Management Guides” Presents 33 Photos of Pronghorn Conservation in USA, Mexico and Canada
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Olympus ‘Anywhere Classroom’ Video Series Starts June 26, 2014: An Online FREE Photography Class Using Olympus OM-D Cameras & Lenses
- You’re Invited: Miami Street Photography Festival in USA + Leica’s Instagram Contest Dec.4-7, 2014 (FREE Admission)
- Olympus Photography Event at Lake District Wildlife Park in UK: Enter a Draw Before Dec.8, 2014 for Your Chance to Win This Event
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission in London, UK)
- Samsung NX1 + Joseph Gordon-Levitt + hitRECord: “In a City”, a New Short Film for 4K UHD Viewing (Cinematographers upload your footage to hitRECord by Thurs. 10/30/14 to be eligible for a #NX1 camera; also, writers contribute to hitRECord.org and if hitRECord is successful in monetizing your RECords, they will share the Profits, if any, in accordance with their Terms For Including RECords For Monetized Productions. Please read the full terms of service.)
- You’re Invited to the New Leica Fotopark: A Photo Platform for Passionate Photographers to Discover, Exchange, Organise, Create [Registration on www.leica-fotopark is FREE, as is the use of the platform for data volumes of up to ten gigabytes (GB)]
- Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors’ #FutureofCities: You’re Invited to Share Photos from Your Changing Cities
- Sony World Photography Awards 2015 For All: Enter Now for Professional, Open, Youth and Cruises Competitions
- Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015 is Open to All: Submit Photos & Videos Online Until Dec.15, 2014 at 1:00 P.M. Japan Standard Time
- Sony + Twitter: Sony Electronics’ Alpha Tweet Sweepstakes for USA, before Dec.17, 2014 at 11:59:59 p.m. PT
- You’re Invited: Sony REC+share Masterclasses in Europe for New Camera Line-up + Draw to Win an Alpha 7S Camera Bundle, Continue to Dec.18, 2014
- RICOH Engagement Forum Monthly Photo Contest for USA Users to Win a PENTAX K-S1 Camera: Submit Photos with Commentaries Before 11:59:59 a.m. MST, Dec.30, 2014
- ‘The Societies’ Photographic Convention and Trade Show’ in UK Jan.14-18, 2015 + The Societies’ 20×16″ Print Competition 2014: Mailed Prints to Be Received Before Dec.31, 2014 (FREE Photographic Trade Show*: *Register before 31 December 2014 to avoid entry fee to Trade Show)
- “Share the Experience” 2014 Contest for 13 Years of Age & Older: Submit Photos Online by 11:59 P.M. ET Dec.31 (Legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington, D.C, and at least 13 years of age or older as of May 1, 2014.)
- You’re Invited: Test Drive Olympus Tough TG-3 and TG-850 Cameras + Test & Wow Competition to Win a Tough Camera in London, UK Dec.2, 2014-Jan.1, 2015
- Sony Canada + Sony World Photography Awards: Canada National Award 2015 is Open to All Canadians Until 5 January
- New Intel Security Digital Safety Program for Children + Enter the Think Before You Link Sweepstakes Until March 13, 2015
- Two Toronto Photography Exhibitions: The Past is Never Far (July 12 & 13) + Toronto Does Her ‘Bit’ (Jul.26, 2014-Jan.17, 2015) FREE Admission to Both Exhibitions
- Celebrate 100th Anniversary of Canada’s Connection to Winnie-the-Pooh: Remembering the Real Winnie – An Exhibit Nov.6–Dec.7, 2014 (FREE Admission to Opening Reception – Nov.5 and Exhibit)
- Leica Gallery Wetzlar Invites You to Two New Exhibitions: “Magic Moments – 60 Years Leica M” and Claire Yaffa “100 photographers – 100 portraits”, Until 4 Jan.2015 (FREE admissions: event is located in Germany.)
- National Gallery of Canada and Imperial War Museums Ask You to Share Online Family Photos of World War 1
- Nova Scotian Photographers Age 50 or Older: Exhibit Your Work in the Seniors’ Art and Photo Gallery in Halifax
- McAfee: Most Dangerous Celebrities Study + Most Dangerous Celebrity Sweepstakes Ends at 5 PM PDT Oct.31, 2014
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Update: Videos Recorded During Canada’s 2014 Healthy and Safe Food Regulatory Forum are Now Available
- Union Station Closure Apr.5 – 7 Before 6 A.M.+ Closures of Gardiner Expressway Start Apr.25, 2014 (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Toronto’s Transit Relief Line & Yonge Relief Network Study Consultations Apr.5, 8, 10,12, 2014 (or provide your feedback online)
- Celebrate: Fort York Visitor Centre (five new exhibitions is opened inside the new Visitor Centre in 2014 – 2015)
- Canadian Photographer Sarah Anne Johnson Will Create Toronto’s First Monumental Photographic Mural: To Be Completed by May 1, 2015
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- 20 Key Accomplishments to Protect the Health and Safety of Canadians: Health Canada’s Review of 2013
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians