Middle Childhood Matters Coalition and the City of Toronto
Middle Childhood Matters – Educational evening at City Hall
January 21, 2014
Drop in from 4 pm – 7 pm
Special Presentation & Musical Performance @ 5:30 pm – 6 pm
Walk About, Committee Rooms+ Rotunda, 6 pm – 7 pm
City Hall Rotunda + Committee Rooms
100 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- “Learn about issues facing families and children 6-12 in Toronto as we bring the magic of out-of-school-time programs to City Hall.
- Join us in supporting children and families to help raise awareness about the importance of middle childhood and out-of-school-time programs (including summer and holidays).“
- Here are the highlights:
- A special group of 60+ children bused in from programs from across the City.
- Drop-in activities (ongoing), 4 pm – 7 pm, (parents, children and service providers) by the Textile Museum of Canada, 21 Toys, MAKELAB, ON After-School and HIVE Toronto.
- A display of creative art projects from children about why their out-of-school-time program positively impact their lives.
- Children and adults can learn how to use a loom from the Textile Museum of Canada and participating in 3D printing by MAKELAB.
- Presentation and Special Music Performance at the City Hall Rotunda, 5:30 pm.
- Walk About, Committee Rooms+ Rotunda, 6 pm – 7 pm
- Maker/technology-based activities for children facilitated by Maker Kids and Kids Learning Code
- City Hall Committee Rooms transformed into program spaces featuring one of a kind program activities.
- Children participate in the Robot Wars and Create your Own Comic activities from 6 to 7 p.m. in the committee rooms.
- Please click here for a complete event schedule (pdf).
- Vital policy and research reports on display explaining the importance of the ages 6-12 and out-of-school-time programs.
- Brand new online tool to explore how many after school programs exist in each ward and what percentage of children are being served in that ward.
Please click here for more info about this event.
City of Toronto Contact Info
Phone within Toronto city limits: 311.
Phone outside city limits: 416-392-CITY (2489)
(can be used within Toronto if you can’t reach 311).
TTY customers: 416-338-0TTY (0889)
If your matter is urgent, please call them. They are open 24/7.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
January 17, 2014
City of Toronto celebrating Middle Childhood Day with an evening of kids’ programs
City Councillor Anthony Perruzza (Ward 8 York West), Chair of the Community Development and Recreation Committee, and Ian Edward, Chair of the Middle Childhood Matters Coalition and Executive Director of Kiwanis Boys and Girls Club, will join participants to celebrate Middle Childhood Day and to highlight the City’s out-of-school programs for children aged six to 12. City councillors and staff, doctors from the Hospital for Sick Children, middle childhood champions and parents will also be participating in this event.
Date: Tuesday, January 21
Time: Drop-in activities are available from 4 to 7 p.m. The speaking portion and performance by children enrolled in the Sistema Toronto music program will take place from 5:30 to 6 p.m.
Location: Toronto City Hall Rotunda and Committee Rooms 2 and 3
About 60 children will participate in innovative programs designed to cultivate their imaginations and ingenuity. Members of the media are invited to watch children participate in the Robot Wars and Create your Own Comic activities from 6 to 7 p.m. in the committee rooms.
Children and adults can also participate in various activities, including learning how to use a loom from the Textile Museum of Canada and participating in 3D printing by MAKELAB.
A complete event schedule is available online at http://www.middlechildhoodmatters.ca/portfolio/middle-childhood-matters-edu/.
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. It is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture and is consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities. Toronto is proud to be the Host City for the 2015 Pan American and Parapan American Games. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can visit http://www.toronto.ca, call 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or follow us @TorontoComms.
You may also want to know:
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Canadian Photographer Erin Riley’s Exhibition: Virtue Street (FREE: January 14, 2014 at 6.30 P.M. to March 8, 2014)
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Leica Camera + Red Bull Illume:Action Sports Photography Exhibition Tour & Kickoff Party-Nov.14, 2013 (FREE admission.)
- Life on the Grid Exhibit: 100 Years of Toronto Street Photography (Exhibit continues to May 2014 from Monday to Friday; Exhibit on Saturdays: from October 19, 2013 – April 12, 2014)
- Proposed Use of Jets at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport: Your Input at Public Meeting Jan.27, 2014
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- 20 Key Accomplishments to Protect the Health and Safety of Canadians: Health Canada’s Review of 2013
- You’re Invited: Toronto Events Jan.7-Feb.2, 2014 + Toronto & Ontario News (Ice Storm Updates)
- You’re Invited: Toronto Alerts & Events Nov.9-Dec.15, 2013 + News + Ontario’s Music Funds (Deadlines: Music Futures-Jan.6, 2014; Music Industry Development-Jan.31, 2014)
- ROM Exhibits “Between Princely India & the British Raj: The Photography of Raja Deen Dayal” Apr.20 – Jan.12, 2014
- Feeling Congested? Meetings; Dufferin St.Bridge Closed to Vehicles From Jun.12; Avenue Rd Work Jun.10-Sept.15, 2013
- “Mobile Security: McAfee Consumer Trends Report” Reveals Sophisticated and Complex Risky Apps in 2013
- McAfee Canada 2013 Love, Relationships and Technology Survey: Pitfalls of Couples Sharing Personal Data & Passwords
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- TTC: Certain Transit Passes are Eligible for a Tax Credit + Partial Closure of Bloor-Danforth Subway Feb.9-10, 2013
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- ‘McAfee All Access 2013′: An Enhanced Cross-Device Security Product for PCs, Macs, & Android-Based Phones & Tablets
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians