The following video (2009) presents Canada’s Growing Gap:
“The income gap between the rich and the rest of us grew, in good times and in bad. Learn more about it with this video.“
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) recently released a study, by CCPA Senior Economist David Macdonald, The Wealth Advantage: The Growing Wealth Gap Between Canada’s Affluent and the Middle Class.
This study (pdf) is available to download for FREE on the CCPA website at https://www.policyalternatives.ca/wealth-advantage .
For more information, please contact Kerri-Anne Finn, CCPA Senior Communications Officer, at 613-563-1341 x306.
Wealth advantage for Canada’s affluent starts at young age: study
June 25, 2015
OTTAWA—The wealth advantage for Canada’s affluent starts at a young age, says a study released today by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA).
The study, by CCPA Senior Economist David Macdonald, dives into 13 years of Statistics Canada data to track changes in wealth between Canada’s wealthiest families and those families in the middle of the wealth spectrum while adjusting for age. It is a study in contrasts: the wealth gap between Canada’s affluent and middle class is not only growing, the benefits for the most affluent start early in life. Breaking out wealth by age reveals much more extreme gaps than are visible when all ages are mixed together.
“The wealthiest Canadian families in their twenties have an average net worth of over $500,000—more than Canadian middle class families manage to save over a lifetime,” says Macdonald.
Among the study’s key findings:
- Middle class families in 2012 had under $10,000 in wealth in their twenties and those in their sixties accumulated $470,000 in wealth by the time they start looking toward retirement.
- In 2012, Canada’s most affluent families in their twenties had $540,000 in wealth and peaked in their sixties with $3.4 million in wealth—seven times more than middle class families in that age group.
- Wealth for the most affluent families doubled in real terms between 1999 and 2012. The net worth for those in their twenties went from $280,000 in 1999 to $540,000 in 2012. Those in their sixties saw wealth rise from $1.8 million in 1999 to $3.4 million in 2012.
- Percentage growth in wealth for the middle class was smaller in every age group in 2012. Dollar change in wealth for the middle was dwarfed by what happened for the most affluent.
“The wealth gap has grown rapidly since 1999,” says Macdonald. “Wealthy Canadian families of all ages are worth twice as much as their counterparts were in 1999, with the exception of affluent thirtysomethings—their net worth grew by 33%. But even that more modest growth made those thirtysomethings millionaires in 2012.”
The doubling of net worth for almost all the affluent age groups was not due to inheritance, but was related to high returns on assets since 1999; higher income levels and; much stronger pay raises for the wealthy since 1999. The study attributes the increases for the wealthy in their twenties to parental aid in three key asset areas: the principle residence, secondary real estate, and family businesses.
“It seems unlikely that the tremendously well-educated middle class youth of today could overcome the half-a-million dollar head start that the wealthiest Canadian families enjoy in their twenties. It is time to re-examine measures like the 50% lower tax rate on capital gains that may, in some small measure, slow this growing gap,” Macdonald concludes.
The following video presents Why the future’s not so bright for Canada’s middle class:
“Fri, May 22: Frank Graves, president of EKOS, explains why his research shows Canadians are not optimistic about the future of the middle class and how politicians could turn things around.“
You may also want to know:
- Ian Parry Scholarship 2015 for Documentary & Visual Photojournalism Students and Freelance Photographers of the Age of 24 Years and Under, from Any Country: Apply Online Until 14 July 2015 (Scholarship is FREE to enter)
- Samsung Won Several Prestigious Honors at the Cannes Lions 2015: “Look at Me” Interactive Camera App Helps Children with Autism; Smartphone App “Backup Memory” Helps Alzheimer’s Patients Via Photos & Videos
- Intel Security’s #PasswordConfession Contest: Share a Fun #PasswordConfession Picture, Video, Tweet or Status Update before 11:59 PM Pacific Time on 7/1/2015
- “Water’s Edge”: Public Exhibition of Large-scale Photographs About Global Fresh Water Supplies: Photography Auction June 24 – July 8 + Public Opening Reception & Exhibition 9 July-16 August + V.I.P. Reception & Silent Auction 9 July + No.9 Fresh Water Symposium 10 July 2015 (Toronto: FREE admissions for Public Opening Reception & Exhibition)
- You’re Invited: “Home Field Advantage: Toronto’s Summer Sporting Sites” Exhibition of Historic Photographs Runs to Sept.26 at No Cost: To Celebrate TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games July 10 – Aug.14 (FREE Admission for Exhibition)
- Olympus “Summer of Tough” Contest 2015 Has 8 Entry Periods for U.S.A., D.C., Canada: Submit Original & Inspirational Photos of Your “Summer Adventure” Between 12:01AM on First Day and 11:59:59AM EDT on Last Day of Each Entry Period: Jun.9-15, 16-22, 23-29, Jun.30-July 6, 7-13, 14-20, 21-27, July 28-Aug.3
- Fujifilm “Honor Your Favorite Service Men and Women” Photo Sweepstakes-Consumer for the USA and Washington, D.C.: Register and Upload Your Unique Personal Photos Based on Theme “Honor Your Favorite Service Men and Women” Before 5:00 p.m. EDT on July 10, 2015
- Canon + Actor Mario Lopez Invite Fans in U.S.A., D.C. and Canada to Enter Canon Little League Photo Contest: Remaining Entry Periods: 12 am June 1 – 6 pm ET June 30; 12 am July 1 – 9 pm ET July 24, 2015
- Canon: Donation of Money to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children in the U.S.A. + More Than 2,200 Pieces of Equipment, Including Digital Cameras to Law Enforcement Agencies in 50 States, Puerto Rico and Guam
- Intel Security’s Phishing Quiz Reveals 97 Per Cent of People Worldwide Cannot Identify Destructive Phishing Emails: “Make it a Rule to Never Click on Links or Attachments in Emails / Texts”
- Intel Security: “The Realities of Cyber Parenting: What Pre-teens and Teens Are Up To Online” Study Reveals Concerns About Online Safety & Privacy
- Samsung “Care for Nepal” Project Provided Relief Materials & Communication Services to the Victims of the Earthquake
- Samsung eMotion Project Helped Provide Emotional Support for Hospitalized Children Via Samsung Gear VR: Virtual Adventure Content was Shot Using 360-degree Cameras
- Fujifilm’s Technology in Photo Development Will Be Used to Develop a Rapid Diagnostic System for Ebola Virus Disease
- Ricoh’s “Save the Memory Project”: Returning 90,000 Lost Photos from the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
- MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer & Tissue Engineering: Video Shows Custom Reconstruction of Living Windpipe
- Make Poverty History: Canadians, Please Add Your Voices to the Call for a Federal Anti-Poverty Plan Now
- Caledon Institute of Social Policy Releases a New Report on Welfare Incomes: “Welfare in Canada 2013″
- Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014
- New “Pronghorn Management Guides” Presents 33 Photos of Pronghorn Conservation in USA, Mexico and Canada
- Ontario Proposes ‘Protecting Condominium Owners Act’ for Canadians: No Surprise Costs for a Newly-built Condo; New Condo Authority; Financial Management Rules; Mandatory Licensing for Managers
- 2015 Intel Security Survey: 30% Sent Personal Photos to Others Via Mobile Devices & 50% Don’t Delete Personal Photos or Videos Sent to Others
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- You’re Invited: Take Home and “Test Drive” a Leica M Camera System & Two Lenses Overnight @ No Cost: Leica Store Bellevue in Washington, USA (FREE Test Drive program)
- Canada National Award for 2015 Sony World Photography Awards: Winner is George Ching-Yuen Lo from Vancouver
- 2015 Scotiabank Photography Award, the Most Prestigious Award in Canadian Contemporary Photography: You’re Invited to Mark Ruwedel Exhibition Apr.29-Jun.28, 2015 (FREE Admission, Toronto)
- Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition for Galaxy S6 Smartphone: World-first Fully Immersive Virtual Reality Storytelling “David Attenborough’s First Life” Experience at Natural History Museum, London from 19 June 2015: No Cost for Only Museum Entrance (UK)
- Nova Scotian Photographers Age 50 or Older: Exhibit Your Work in the Seniors’ Art and Photo Gallery in Halifax
- You’re Invited: “C’est la Vie in B&W ” Photography Reception May 7 & Exhibition Runs Through July 2, 2015 @ Leica Store San Francisco
- Artie Techie Juried Art Show at Huntington Summer Arts Festival At No Cost in New York July 2 – 18, 2015 : Manipulated Digital Prints, Camera-generated Images, Computer-generated Images & “Completely Cameraless Photographs”
- You’re Invited: “Light, Paper, Process: Reinventing Photography” Exhibition @ No Cost, The Getty Center, Los Angeles: Continues to Sept.6, 2015
- Newseum’s ‘Reporting Vietnam’: New Exhibit of Powerful Photos & News Footage for the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War: May 22, 2015 – Sept. 12, 2016 (in Washington, D.C., USA; Kids’ Admission is FREE from July 1 to Sept. 7, 2015 )
- You’re Invited: Visa pour l’Image 2015 Exhibitions, Screenings, Symposium, ‘Meet the Photographers’ Sessions Aug.29 – Sept.13, 2015 @ No Cost in Perpignan, France
- Prestigious Deutsche Börse Photography Prize 2015 Annouces Winners: Exhibition of Winners & Shortlisted Photographers in London at No Cost (Until 7 June) and in Frankfurt (20 June – 20 September)
- Panasonic UK: #4KLumix Photo Walks Using 4K Lumix Cameras @ National Trust Properties: Experience the Lumix 4K PHOTO, May – September 2015 (in the UK)
- You’re Invited: ‘In Focus: Animalia’ Exhibition @ The Getty Center, Los Angeles: @ No Cost, May 26 – Oct.18, 2015
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission in London, UK)
- Panasonic + UNESCO: Beautiful 2015 World Heritage Calendar App for PCs & Tablets in Five Languages (FREE App)
- Stratasys’ New Recycling Program of 3D Printing Material Canisters & Cartridges for North American Customers Starts Today: Waste Disposal at No Charge (FREE disposal & recycling program)
- Samsung’s Software Development Kit (SDK) is Released: Third-party Developers are Invited to Help Build Next Samsung Wearable Prior to the Product Launch
- Panasonic Will Share Intellectual Property to Speed Development of Internet of Things (IoT) Software & Services (Panasonic formally pledges to provide royalty-FREE access to software, patents and experience from its product ecosystem)
- Google Earth Pro is Now Available at No Cost: Interactive Imagery of Google Earth With Professional Tools for Business or Personal Use (FREE)
- Panasonic: New “NEYMAR JR. CRAZY SKILLS” Interactive Webpage at No Cost: True-to-life 3D Images of Neymar Jr.’s Superb Skills Can Be Viewed and Shared on Smartphones or Computers (FREE)
- UrtheCast’s High-Resolution Camera on the ISS Captured & Released the World’s First Full-Color HD Videos of London, Boston and Barcelona from Space (UrtheCast Corp., the Earth Observation (EO) company, aims to open the world to anyone with an internet connection: FREE)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Samsung Canada + National Hockey League: Samsung Smartphones Offer Enhanced Personalization within Official NHL App, Exclusive Access to Branded ‘Inside the NHL Situation Room’ Videos & More
- Fujifilm: New ‘Pro Rental Service’ for Enthusiast & Professional Photographers and ‘Professional Repair Rental Program’ in USA: Effective March 16, 2015
- Nikon Canada Invites Canadian Residents to Nikon Image Space: An Online Service for Sharing Photos or Recording Memories (FREE online service for all Canadian residents to share & record images: FREE two GB of storage for everyone and Nikon camera owners get an extra FREE 18 GB of storage.)
- New NIKON IMAGE SPACE App Renewal at No Charge: Benefits Include Seeing Images Larger & Browsing Images Stored on Your Smart Device (FREE online photo sharing service + FREE renewal of smart device app for “NIKON IMAGE SPACE”)
- Canon’s Cloud-based Image Management Service, irista: No Cost for Up to 15GB + New Updates are Now Live (FREE 15GB of cloud storage space with full irista functionality)
- Canon Europe Acquires Lifecake – Baby Photo Timeline: A Photo-sharing App for Families to Create Photo & Video Timelines (Lifecake is available FREE for iPhone, iPad and Android)
- Canon Releases English-version PERSTEXT App for iOS for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch @ No Cost: Photo Editing to Insert Text with a Sense of Perspective to Saved Photos
- You’re Invited to the New Leica Fotopark: A Photo Platform for Passionate Photographers to Discover, Exchange, Organise, Create [Registration on www.leica-fotopark is FREE, as is the use of the platform for data volumes of up to ten gigabytes (GB)]
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Nikon’s New Download Center for Nikon Digital Cameras & Related Products: Offers Software & Manuals in 43 Languages
- Nikon: New NIKKOR Motion Gallery Series Features Short Films as New Possibilities of Video Imaging Through NIKKOR Lenses & Nikon Cameras
- Olympus: New Underwater Photo Gallery Showcases “The Beauty Below”: Fascinating Photographs of Underwater Wonders in Vivid Colours with Exquisite Details
- Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors’ #FutureofCities: You’re Invited to Share Photos from Your Changing Cities
- Sony Imaging PRO Support at No Charge for Certain Professional Photographers Using α Camera Equipment in Germany: Effective Apr.1, 2015: Submit Applications Now
- Canada National Award for 2015 Sony World Photography Awards: Winner is George Ching-Yuen Lo from Vancouver
- Ricoh THETA Developer Contest of Apps or Gadgets for Ricoh THETA Camera: Register Before 23:59 JST on June 10 and Submit Documents Before 23:59 JST on June 30, 2015
- #OlympusSummerSelfie Competition Prize is Olympus Tough TG-860 Camera for the UK: Three Entry Periods to Share Each Summer Selfie With #OlympusSummerSelfie and a Comment: June (Submit Before 28 June), July, and August 2015
- Canon #PrintWithCanonSweeps Photo Sweepstakes for USA and District of Columbia; 13 Years of Age or Older: Submit Entries Before 11:59 P.M. ET. Aug.31, 2015
- 2015 Aimia | AGO Photography Prize for Contemporary Photography: 27 Semi-finalists Selected from Around the World (Shortlist to be announced on June 23; then public voting starts on Sept. 15, 2015)
- 2016 Sony World Photography Awards: Entries to Be Submitted by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 4 Dec. 2015 for Student Focus, by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 5 Jan.2016 for Open, Youth & National, by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 12 Jan 2016 for Professional
- National Gallery of Canada and Imperial War Museums Ask You to Share Online Family Photos of World War 1
- McAfee: Most Dangerous Celebrities Study + Most Dangerous Celebrity Sweepstakes Ends at 5 PM PDT Oct.31, 2014
- Scarborough Subway Project Assessment-Line 2 Extension: Public Consultations Jan.31 & Feb.2, 2015 + Online Feedback
- Panasonic’s Medical Delivery Robot “HOSPI” in the “Center for Advanced Medical Robotics” in Thailand
- Celebrate: Fort York Visitor Centre (five new exhibitions is opened inside the new Visitor Centre in 2014 – 2015)
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians