The following video presents The Natural Brook Trout Lakes of Algonquin Park (www.algonquinpark.on.ca):
“Algonquin Provincial Park is home to one of the world’s highest concentrations of natural Brook Trout lakes. Despite being a 7,630 square kilometre (2,946 square mile) protected area in Ontario, Canada, Algonquin’s native fisheries are under threat. Learn what research has taught us about this special fishery and the simple things you can do to protect it for future generations. Discover more about Brook Trout at: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/… “
Take a Selfie with Ontario’s Fall Colours
Great Photo Opportunities Abound in Ontario’s Parks
September 14, 2015 12:01 P.M.
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Ontario’s provincial parks offer great opportunities for families and friends to view the beautiful fall colours.
This coming fall, take the opportunity to visit a provincial park or go for a stroll in your local neighbourhood park, take a selfie with the fall colours, and remember to use #FallColours.
The Ontario Parks Fall Colour Report shows you when colours are at their peak in provincial parks across Ontario. Colours peak at different times across the province, so check the report often.
Did you know?
- There are about 85 billion trees in Ontario and almost 40 per cent of those are deciduous.
- About 66 per cent of Ontario is forested, making Ontario rich in fall colour. Some of the most brightly coloured fall foliage in the world occurs in southern Canada.
- Tamaracks are the only conifer trees in Ontario to lose their needles, but before they fall the needles turn a brilliant gold.
- Birch and poplar trees are among the first to lose their leaves in fall while oaks are among the last. Some oak and beech trees hang on to their leaves all winter.
- Part of the reason leaves turn colour is because they’re recycling nutrients. Trees whose leaves turn red are the best recyclers.
- Who said carbs and sugar are bad for you? Chlorophyll, which makes the leaves green in the summer, gets turned into sugar, carbs and water to help the trees live through the winter.
- Leaves don’t actually turn yellow and orange. The yellow and orange pigments are always in the leaves but are not revealed until the green fades.
- Carotenoids give leaves their yellow and orange colours and are also found in corn, canary feathers, daffodils and egg yolks.
- Anthocyanins are sunscreen for trees and are what make their leaves turn red and purple. Anthocyanins are also found in cranberries, blueberries, strawberries and plums.
For the best viewing spots to see the beautiful fall colours in Ontario’s provincial parks, check out:
- Ravine Trail in Bronte Creek to see into the valley below
- Lookout Trail viewing platform at Pancake Bay
- Mink Lake Lookout at Frontenac
- The footbridge at Earl Rowe
- The trails in Pinery
- Big Bend Lookout in Arrowhead
- The Sea Lion in Sleeping Giant
If you’re planning to stay overnight, campsites can be reserved online, 24 hours a day, or by calling the park reservation line at 1-888-ONT-PARK between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. daily.
- There are more than 330 provincial parks in Ontario, covering more than eight-million hectares — an area larger than Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island combined.
- In 2014, Ontario’s provincial parks received more than 8.5-million visits from people around the world and brought in more than $70 million in revenue, which supported jobs and businesses across the province.
“Whether you go to the far reaches of Lake Superior, central regions of Algonquin, or the southern climes of Bronte Creek, Ontario’s provincial parks offer some of the best spots to see the spectacular fall colours. I encourage you to take a trip to a provincial park this fall to take in this remarkable change in seasons.”
“Ontario’s parks and trails are best and brightest in the fall and enjoyed by countless visitors throughout the province and from around the world. It’s a great time of year for tourists, families and friends to take in the beauty of these majestic natural settings, truly some of the best sights in the world.”
Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sports
You may also want to know:
- Know The Glow: 4 Tips To Spot The Golden Reflective Glow In A Child’s Photo And Save His or Her Eyes
“Create Artwork or Photography for The Global Goals and the United Nations” is a Global Contest: Submit Your #GlobalGoals Images Before 10:00 AM (Pacific Daylight Time) September 24, 2015
- FUJIFILM Evening with Zack Arias at No Cost Sept.19….2015 (FREE admission; Washington, USA)
- Panasonic Invites You to the LUMIX Photo Studio Open House in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada – All Camera Types are Welcome: September 26, 2015, 12 PM – 3 PM (FREE event)
- Aimia | AGO Photography Prize Exhibition Opens Sept.9 in Toronto, Canada; Voting Begins in Person Sept.9 and Online Sept.15 and Closes at 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 29, 2015 (FREE admissions)
- Leica Boutique Las Vegas Grand Opening Photo Walks on September 18 and 19, 2015: Register Now (FREE events)
- Leica Camera at Photoville Festival NYC, USA, at No Cost September 18 – 20, 2015: Enter the Leica Exhibition Draw + Leica x DSI Instagram Contest Before 11PM EST on September 20 (FREE Admission)
- Panasonic’s LUMIX G Experience Photographer of the Year 2015 for Members of LUMIX G Experience Community Who Live in the UK and Republic of Ireland: Submit Your Entries Before Midnight on 20 September
- PHOTOGraphie Professional Photography Festival in British Columbia, Canada: Some Events at No Cost September 24 – 28, 2015 (Some events have FREE admission)
- Nikon & Rochester Institute of Technology Invite You to a Nighttime Photographic Event in Louisville, Kentucky, USA at No Cost: Light Painting at Churchill Downs on October 3, 2015 (FREE Admission)
- Canon Sponsors Rugby World Cup 2015: PowerShot G3 X Camera & Photography Techniques to Get Action Shots + ‘Photography Experience at Rugby World Cup 2015′ Contest for UK, Ireland & Channel Islands: Upload Your Best Rugby Related Images During the Eight Submission Periods between Now and Midnight GMT on 4 Oct.2015
- Please Urge Ontario to Raise ODSP Rates: Join ‘Stroll & Roll to Freedom’ March on July 7, 2015 UPDATE: Due to unfavourable weather forecast, this event was postponed. The new date of the march will be determined)
- Samsung Won Several Prestigious Honors at the Cannes Lions 2015: “Look at Me” Interactive Camera App Helps Children with Autism; Smartphone App “Backup Memory” Helps Alzheimer’s Patients Via Photos & Videos
- Olympus Europe Invites You: Olympus Photography Playground at No Cost in Munich 25 Aug. – 20 Sept. and Vienna 25 Sept. – 4 Oct. 2015: Borrow the OM-D Camera at No Cost (FREE admission + FREE loan of camera)
- The Photographers’ Gallery Invites You: “Shirley Baker: Women, Children and Loitering Men” Exhibition at No Cost before 12:00 Daily, 17 Jul – 20 Sep 2015: Rare Colour Photos of the Working Class in Manchester & Salford of Late Twentieth Century Britain (FREE admission in the UK)
- Prestigious Deutsche Börse Photography Prize 2015 Annouces Winners: Exhibition of Winners & Shortlisted Photographers in London at No Cost (Until 7 June) and in Frankfurt (20 June – 20 September)
- 500px Fujifilm Global Photo Walk: Join Thousands of Photographers on September 26, 2015 to “Celebrate Their Local Communities Through Their Love for Photography” at No Cost (FREE admission)
- Panasonic UK: #4KLumix Photo Walks Using 4K Lumix Cameras @ National Trust Properties: Experience the Lumix 4K PHOTO, May – September 2015 (in the UK)
- You’re Invited: “Home Field Advantage: Toronto’s Summer Sporting Sites” Exhibition of Historic Photographs Runs to Sept.26 at No Cost: To Celebrate TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games July 10 – Aug.14 (FREE Admission for Exhibition)
- 2015 InnovationNow Photo Business & Technology Summit September 27-28 in San Francisco, USA: Themes are Connectivity and Interoperability
- Ricoh Theta + App Contest for Ricoh Theta Users: Post Your 360° Images With #theta360 and #theta360contest Via the New THETA+ App Before Sept.30, 2015
- Canon: Donation of Money to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children in the U.S.A. + More Than 2,200 Pieces of Equipment, Including Digital Cameras to Law Enforcement Agencies in 50 States, Puerto Rico and Guam
- Intel Security’s Phishing Quiz Reveals 97 Per Cent of People Worldwide Cannot Identify Destructive Phishing Emails: “Make it a Rule to Never Click on Links or Attachments in Emails / Texts”
- Intel Security: New Consumer Security Services Include True Key App by Intel Security to Keep Connected Consumers Safe from Online Threats: Available Now (FREE True Key App)
- Intel Security: “The Realities of Cyber Parenting: What Pre-teens and Teens Are Up To Online” Study Reveals Concerns About Online Safety & Privacy
- Samsung “Care for Nepal” Project Provided Relief Materials & Communication Services to the Victims of the Earthquake
- Samsung eMotion Project Helped Provide Emotional Support for Hospitalized Children Via Samsung Gear VR: Virtual Adventure Content was Shot Using 360-degree Cameras
- Fujifilm’s Technology in Photo Development Will Be Used to Develop a Rapid Diagnostic System for Ebola Virus Disease
- Ricoh’s “Save the Memory Project”: Returning 90,000 Lost Photos from the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
- MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer & Tissue Engineering: Video Shows Custom Reconstruction of Living Windpipe
- Make Poverty History: Canadians, Please Add Your Voices to the Call for a Federal Anti-Poverty Plan Now
- Toronto Council Highlights Jul 7-9,2015: Topics Include Social Housing, Car-pooling app – UberPool, Poverty & Woodbine Racetrack’s Expanded Gaming
- Caledon Institute of Social Policy Releases a New Report on Welfare Incomes: “Welfare in Canada 2013″
- Please Help Create the World’s Largest Marine Sanctuary in the Pacific: Petition Before Aug.11, 2014
- New “Pronghorn Management Guides” Presents 33 Photos of Pronghorn Conservation in USA, Mexico and Canada
- BioAmber Opens World’s Largest Bio-succinic Acid Manufacturing Facility in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada: Renewable & Greener Alternatives to Petrochemicals That are Derived from Oil, Which Can Be Used in Everyday Products Including Plastics, Food Additives & Personal Care Products
- Ontario Proposes ‘Protecting Condominium Owners Act’ for Canadians: No Surprise Costs for a Newly-built Condo; New Condo Authority; Financial Management Rules; Mandatory Licensing for Managers
- 2015 Intel Security Survey: 30% Sent Personal Photos to Others Via Mobile Devices & 50% Don’t Delete Personal Photos or Videos Sent to Others
- Urgent Petition to Stop the Destruction of an Indonesian Rainforest & Save Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants & Rhinos
- Please Urge European Patent Convention’s States to Close Loopholes That Let Companies Patent Vegetables & Fruits
- Please Petition Walmart to Sign onto Fire Safety Inspection Program Supported by Bangladeshi to Prevent Tragedies
- Please Stop Line 9 – Oil Spills in Toronto: Community Forums – Apr.7-8 & Telephone Town Hall Meeting – Apr.9, 2013
- Ontario’s New Protection Plans for Sources of Water for Canadians: CTC Source & Halton-Hamilton Source: Effective Dec. 31, 2015
- McAfee: Superstar Soccer Players’ Screensavers and “Skills” Video Downloads are Risky to Search for Online (McAfee’s FREE SiteAdvisor)
- You’re Invited: Take Home and “Test Drive” a Leica M Camera System & Two Lenses Overnight @ No Cost: Leica Store Bellevue in Washington, USA (FREE Test Drive program)
- Canada National Award for 2015 Sony World Photography Awards: Winner is George Ching-Yuen Lo from Vancouver
- Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition for Galaxy S6 Smartphone: World-first Fully Immersive Virtual Reality Storytelling “David Attenborough’s First Life” Experience at Natural History Museum, London from 19 June 2015: No Cost for Only Museum Entrance (UK)
- Olympus “Test & Wow” Program for the UK: Try Certain Olympus Cameras and Lenses for a Full 24-hour Day at No Cost (Try for FREE)
- Nova Scotian Photographers Age 50 or Older: Exhibit Your Work in the Seniors’ Art and Photo Gallery in Halifax
- You’re Invited: ‘In Focus: Animalia’ Exhibition @ The Getty Center, Los Angeles: @ No Cost, May 26 – Oct.18, 2015
- You’re Invited: Camera Obscura at The Photographers’ Gallery (FREE admission in London, UK)
- Panasonic + UNESCO: Beautiful 2015 World Heritage Calendar App for PCs & Tablets in Five Languages (FREE App)
- Nikon: Updated “NIKKOR & ACC” App: Now Available to Download for iPad (Version 1.1.0) / Android Tablet (Version 1.0.1) at No Cost (FREE App)
- NASA’s New Horizons Spacecraft is Snapping Pluto Photos Via the LORRI Telescopic Camera and Ralph’s Color Camera: Closest Approach to Pluto Occurs on July 14, 2015
- Stratasys’ New Recycling Program of 3D Printing Material Canisters & Cartridges for North American Customers Starts Today: Waste Disposal at No Charge (FREE disposal & recycling program)
- Samsung’s Software Development Kit (SDK) is Released: Third-party Developers are Invited to Help Build Next Samsung Wearable Prior to the Product Launch
- Panasonic Will Share Intellectual Property to Speed Development of Internet of Things (IoT) Software & Services (Panasonic formally pledges to provide royalty-FREE access to software, patents and experience from its product ecosystem)
- Google Earth Pro is Now Available at No Cost: Interactive Imagery of Google Earth With Professional Tools for Business or Personal Use (FREE)
- Google Maps: New Street View App for Android and iOS: For the First Time You Can Tour Immersive 360-degree Imagery & Instantly Contribute Your Own to Google Maps
- Panasonic: New “NEYMAR JR. CRAZY SKILLS” Interactive Webpage at No Cost: True-to-life 3D Images of Neymar Jr.’s Superb Skills Can Be Viewed and Shared on Smartphones or Computers (FREE)
- Leica: M Magazine App is Available at No Cost & M Magazine No. 2 is Also Available: Dedicated to M Photography Via the Leica M Camera, Presenting Pictures Taken by Renowned Photographers (FREE M Magazine App)
- UrtheCast’s High-Resolution Camera on the ISS Captured & Released the World’s First Full-Color HD Videos of London, Boston and Barcelona from Space (UrtheCast Corp., the Earth Observation (EO) company, aims to open the world to anyone with an internet connection: FREE)
- Photography Copyright Kit (FREE)
- Samsung Canada + National Hockey League: Samsung Smartphones Offer Enhanced Personalization within Official NHL App, Exclusive Access to Branded ‘Inside the NHL Situation Room’ Videos & More
- Fujifilm: New ‘Pro Rental Service’ for Enthusiast & Professional Photographers and ‘Professional Repair Rental Program’ in USA: Effective March 16, 2015
- Nikon Canada Invites Canadian Residents to Nikon Image Space: An Online Service for Sharing Photos or Recording Memories (FREE online service for all Canadian residents to share & record images: FREE two GB of storage for everyone and Nikon camera owners get an extra FREE 18 GB of storage.)
- New NIKON IMAGE SPACE App Renewal at No Charge: Benefits Include Seeing Images Larger & Browsing Images Stored on Your Smart Device (FREE online photo sharing service + FREE renewal of smart device app for “NIKON IMAGE SPACE”)
- Canon’s Cloud-based Image Management Service, irista: No Cost for Up to 15GB + New Updates are Now Live (FREE 15GB of cloud storage space with full irista functionality)
- Canon Europe Acquires Lifecake – Baby Photo Timeline: A Photo-sharing App for Families to Create Photo & Video Timelines (Lifecake is available FREE for iPhone, iPad and Android)
- Canon Releases English-version PERSTEXT App for iOS for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch @ No Cost: Photo Editing to Insert Text with a Sense of Perspective to Saved Photos
- You’re Invited to the New Leica Fotopark: A Photo Platform for Passionate Photographers to Discover, Exchange, Organise, Create [Registration on www.leica-fotopark is FREE, as is the use of the platform for data volumes of up to ten gigabytes (GB)]
- You’re Invited: Download Leica Fotografie International App for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android
- Nikon’s New Download Center for Nikon Digital Cameras & Related Products: Offers Software & Manuals in 43 Languages
- Nikon: New NIKKOR Motion Gallery Series Features Short Films as New Possibilities of Video Imaging Through NIKKOR Lenses & Nikon Cameras
- Olympus: New Underwater Photo Gallery Showcases “The Beauty Below”: Fascinating Photographs of Underwater Wonders in Vivid Colours with Exquisite Details
- Sony Alpha Cameras: New “α Universe” Community Website to Engage, Empower and Inspire Photo & Video Enthusiasts
- Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors’ #FutureofCities: You’re Invited to Share Photos from Your Changing Cities
- Sony Imaging PRO Support at No Charge for Certain Professional Photographers Using α Camera Equipment in Germany: Effective Apr.1, 2015: Submit Applications Now
- Canada National Award for 2015 Sony World Photography Awards: Winner is George Ching-Yuen Lo from Vancouver
- 2015 Sigma Superfan Contest: Monthly Prizes for Certain Sigma Product Owners in the USA and D.C.: Share Your Photos and #SigmaSuperfan Story Before 5pm ET on Nov.16, 2015
- 2016 Sony World Photography Awards: Entries to Be Submitted by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 4 Dec. 2015 for Student Focus, by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 5 Jan.2016 for Open, Youth & National, by 11:59:59pm (GMT) on 12 Jan 2016 for Professional
- National Gallery of Canada and Imperial War Museums Ask You to Share Online Family Photos of World War 1
- Scarborough Subway Project Assessment-Line 2 Extension: Public Consultations Jan.31 & Feb.2, 2015 + Online Feedback
- Panasonic’s Medical Delivery Robot “HOSPI” in the “Center for Advanced Medical Robotics” in Thailand
- Celebrate: Fort York Visitor Centre (five new exhibitions inside the new Visitor Centre in 2014 – 2015)
- Put Food in the Budget: Please Urge Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne to Raise Social Assistance Rates Now!
- Please Urge Ontario Political Leaders to Keep Their Promise to End Poverty in Ontario by Taking Decisive Action
- Please Urge Premier Wynne to Increase Ontario Works’ Base Rate by $100 a Month & Not Cut the Special Diet Allowance
- C.A.P.I.C’s Victory: Canadian Photographers Officially Own the Copyright to All of Their Work Effective Nov.7, 2012
- Ontario Place: Transforming into a Year-Round, Multi-Use Waterfront Community & Urban Park for Canadians